DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

107 rule clarification

Kossnen

Reactions
Hello, I'm thinking about going for my 107 cert. I've been learning to read charts and I have a question. The main area I will be flying is a Mode C airspace radiating out of a class B (Mode C, 30 nautical miles). Would this be treated as a normal Class C space? If I were to do a job, let's say, photographing a house, would I have to give the 90 day notice to the FAA and get permission? Thanks!

Part 107 Operations have to get clearance for "Controlled" airspace. Currently you either submit via the online portal and wait ~ 90 days to get word back or if you're lucky the new LAANC system is available in your area and you request and get almost instant notification Yes or No.

Class B (BUSY) is tougher to get but it's not impossible. Plan ahead and if you can't use LAANC go ahead and apply for the class you might need well in advance and then you'll have it in hand already when the job becomes available.

Reactions: Kossnen
Thanks! That actually helps a lot. I assume Mode C is still considered "controlled" then. Again, still learning and looking it over now. The area I'm looking at is around Boston (Logan Intl). These charts are out of control. The class B airspace around the airport is 70/30. So, as long as I stay under 3000ft, I would be ok? Or would I still be in "controlled airspace (assuming I'm on the other side of the Class G faded border)?

Part 107 Operations have to get clearance for "Controlled" airspace. Currently you either submit via the online portal and wait ~ 90 days to get word back or if you're lucky the new LAANC system is available in your area and you request and get almost instant notification Yes or No.

Class B (BUSY) is tougher to get but it's not impossible. Plan ahead and if you can't use LAANC go ahead and apply for the class you might need well in advance and then you'll have it in hand already when the job becomes available.

I think that the OP is referring to the 30 NM Mode C veil that surrounds most Class B airports. That's not Class C airspace in the normal sense and doesn't require authorization.

Awesome! I understand that Mode C has more to do with aircraft requiring a certain kind of transmitter. Something I assume a UAV pilot wouldn't be required to have.

Awesome! I understand that Mode C has more to do with aircraft requiring a certain kind of transmitter. Something I assume a UAV pilot wouldn't be required to have.

Yes - the Mode C veil requires aircraft within the lateral extent to have transponders operating in mode C and transmitting altitude data. UAVs are exempted from that requirement.

LAANC should be coming to my area very soon (probably before I get my certification). That would be a huge help. Downloading Airmap now to learn my way around it beforehand.

LAANC should be coming to my area very soon (probably before I get my certification). That would be a huge help. Downloading Airmap now to learn my way around it beforehand.

Keep in mind that LAANC isn't going to be available for every airport. Those that are operated by "Contractors" and those operated by Military Pers will not be in LAANC. I don't know if that's EVER or just not yet. Also they recently had some type of "discrepancies" and withdrew a handful of airports from LAANC until they can get it worked out. They might have already re-instated those I don't know.

What I'm saying is as a business professional you should prepare worse case and hope for the best.

As stated above, Mode-C is the type of transponder required for an aircraft to enter into BRAVO airspace. Manned aircraft can fly in other classes of airspace w/o Mode-C transponder (ultralight, experimental, vintage aircraft etc) but to enter into BRAVO you have to have Mode-C and have it operational. Mode-C allows ATC to identify you and "interact" with your aircraft transponder on their display screen. That's an overly simplified example but it should help paint the general picture.

As stated above, Mode-C is the type of transponder required for an aircraft to enter into BRAVO airspace. Manned aircraft can fly in other classes of airspace w/o Mode-C transponder (ultralight, experimental, vintage aircraft etc) but to enter into BRAVO you have to have Mode-C and have it operational. Mode-C allows ATC to identify you and "interact" with your aircraft transponder on their display screen. That's an overly simplified example but it should help paint the general picture.

That's correct - but note that the Mode C veil, when present, extends beyond and below (30 NM radius, ground to 18000 ft) Class B airspace. Around Class B airport there is typically Class G airspace within the Mode C veil - hence the original question (I think).

Reactions: Kossnen and BigAl07
That's correct - but note that the Mode C veil, when present, extends beyond and below (30 NM radius, ground to 18000 ft) Class B airspace. Around Class B airport there is typically Class G airspace within the Mode C veil - hence the original question (I think).

I can honestly say that's never come up with me. I'm not doubting that at all but I do my very best to avoid BRAVO airspace when flying manned aircraft. Being the smallest fish in a very busy and crowded pond can be very frustrating so I avoid BRAVO like the plague LOL.

All of the airspace in my neck of the woods is C or D so it keeps things a lot less hectic in my life :)

I can honestly say that's never come up with me. I'm not doubting that at all but I do my very best to avoid BRAVO airspace when flying manned aircraft. Being the smallest fish in a very busy and crowded pond can be very frustrating so I avoid BRAVO like the plague LOL.

All of the airspace in my neck of the woods is C or D so it keeps things a lot less hectic in my life :)

My situation generally too. But with the extensive Class B shelf area around big airports, many people are going to find themselves flying in Class G below Class B and within the veil.

Yeah, that was my question. It seems that everything else is Class G where I'm at aside from the Class B above 3k ft. That Mode C is what was really throwing me off. I was mistaking it for Class C. I have an idea of where I would be ok to fly in my area from the chart. Airmap verified that for me. Thank you for all your help again.

Since you all know so much more than me on this I'm going to throw another quick one out. Class E is controlled, but this space is above Class G. So, assuming I stay under 400ft, well below the 700ft (or 1,200ft) Class E, this should not affect me and I can more or less disregard Class E when flying at or below 400ft (this is what I'm gaining from the legend and a few sites). Sound about right?

Yeah, that was my question. It seems that everything else is Class G where I'm at aside from the Class B above 3k ft. That Mode C is what was really throwing me off. I was mistaking it for Class C. I have an idea of where I would be ok to fly in my area from the chart. Airmap verified that for me. Thank you for all your help again.

Since you all know so much more than me on this I'm going to throw another quick one out. Class E is controlled, but this space is above Class G. So, assuming I stay under 400ft, well below the 700ft (or 1,200ft) Class E, this should not affect me and I can more or less disregard Class E when flying at or below 400ft (this is what I'm gaining from the legend and a few sites). Sound about right?

Correct - provided that you stay in Class G airspace below the Class E floor then you are good to fly, subject to there being no other restrictions such as TFRs.

Where exactly would TFRs be posted? I understand that charts take precedence over the Airmap app when it comes to where you can and cannot fly. However, would Airmap be a reliable source to view TFRs?

Where exactly would TFRs be posted? I understand that charts take precedence over the Airmap app when it comes to where you can and cannot fly. However, would Airmap be a reliable source to view TFRs?

I would not rely on Airmap. The FAA website lists TFRs and flight planning apps such as Foreflight seem to get very up-to-date TFR data, but the only definitive source is stated on the FAA website itself:

Depicted TFR data may not be a complete listing. Pilots should not use the information on this website for flight planning purposes. For the latest information, call your local Flight Service Station at 1-800-WX-BRIEF.

I would have completely missed that disclaimer if I wasn't looking for it. Is it common practice to call that number before each flight, just in case?

I would have completely missed that disclaimer if I wasn't looking for it. Is it common practice to call that number before each flight, just in case?

I use Foreflight. I've yet to find a current TFR that isn't shown. If in doubt though - I would call Flight Services or the ARTCC office that we call to set up TFRs.

Remember that each “shelf” or blue ring of class b airspace is still class b airspace.

The reality is that the inner ring goes to the surface, so you cannot fly there without permission. You can usually ignore the remaining rings as they are all well above 400’ agl unless you are flying above a very tall structure.

Yeah. The one I'll be flying around has a lower limit of 3000ft so I should be in the clear. I'll check out Foreflight too. Thank you all for the help! Cleared so much up.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803