DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

107 test

how hard is it really?

That really depends greatly on your knowledge level and preparation.

If you go in without studying the material, you will fail. That is guaranteed.

If you have no aeronautical knowledge about things such as reading sectional charts, reading METAR reports, knowing what different weather and cloud formations signify, crew resource management, weight and balance,etc... then it is not a trivial matter. You need to know these topics and how to interpret the question, to get the correct answer.

If you do have some knowledge already, I would still suggest studying to see how much you don't know and what you need to brush up on. I have my Private Pilot's license and I was familiar with the materials already. So I studied for a few hours and scheduled the test.

The nice thing is that if you are prepared, you will generally pass. I don't think the questions were geared to trick me, although some questions could have been worded much better. Multiple choice and one answer is typically way wrong! So the odds are really in your favor if you go in prepared.

BRING A MAGNIFYING GLASS ! I did not do so and had a tough time with some of the sectionals because the lighting was terrible in the testing center. I felt like I was taking the test in candlelight.

Also SEARCH is your friend. Search for 107 in the forum here and you will find a lot of information.

GOOD LUCK !

The place where I took the test had a large magnifying glass at every station, as well as blank sheets of paper, ruler, marking pen and acetate overlay, pencil, and a calculator. I used the magnifying glass. The copy of the 8808-H testing supplement was in pretty bad shape. On one of the charts I had to use it was difficult to tell the difference between the blue and magenta.

I posted this info to another thread but figured it would be good here:

I passed the 107 test about 6 weeks ago. It isn't too difficult. Pro Tip: You'll get a source book with a sample legend that contains a lot of information if you get stuck.

Also, if you knew everything in the following guide, you'd pass for sure. There are tons of other resources out there but this one is free and covers almost everything.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

how hard is it really?

I'm a little late to the party on this question but felt like I could add something to the conversation.

Here is my "Canned Reply" when someone asks me "How hard is the FAA Part 107 Test?"

It's NOT hard in and of itself. It's foreign material for most people (if you're not already immersed in Aviation and Aviation terms/techniques) and it's not the type of test you can simply "Wing It" and pass. Just like a foreign language test. If you've never had any instruction on the new language you might be able to guess and get a couple of correct answers but for the most part you'll fail miserably.

On the flip side, if you've been educated in the language, spent time studying and practicing, and can pass the practice tests reliably the odds of passing your Part 107 are very good.

That really depends greatly on your knowledge level and preparation.

If you go in without studying the material, you will fail. That is guaranteed.

If you have no aeronautical knowledge about things such as reading sectional charts, reading METAR reports, knowing what different weather and cloud formations signify, crew resource management, weight and balance,etc... then it is not a trivial matter. You need to know these topics and how to interpret the question, to get the correct answer.

If you do have some knowledge already, I would still suggest studying to see how much you don't know and what you need to brush up on. I have my Private Pilot's license and I was familiar with the materials already. So I studied for a few hours and scheduled the test.

The nice thing is that if you are prepared, you will generally pass. I don't think the questions were geared to trick me, although some questions could have been worded much better. Multiple choice and one answer is typically way wrong! So the odds are really in your favor if you go in prepared.

BRING A MAGNIFYING GLASS ! I did not do so and had a tough time with some of the sectionals because the lighting was terrible in the testing center. I felt like I was taking the test in candlelight.

Also SEARCH is your friend. Search for 107 in the forum here and you will find a lot of information.

GOOD LUCK !

Wow....nice reading that. Thanks. I am taking a course for my Part 107 test (KIng Schools). I am better than half way through. There is NO way I could take the test without the course. I know absolutely nothing about the course material. And if I had to gather all my own material for preparing for the test would have taken a long time. The course is fairly inexpensive and sooo worth it.

Reactions: BigAl07
I posted this info to another thread but figured it would be good here:

I passed the 107 test about 6 weeks ago. It isn't too difficult. Pro Tip: You'll get a source book with a sample legend that contains a lot of information if you get stuck.

Also, if you knew everything in the following guide, you'd pass for sure. There are tons of other resources out there but this one is free and covers almost everything.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

Wow! Thank you for the pdf. I am going to print it out and use it for studying before my test. I am taking a King School course on Part 107 as well. Did you know any of the material before you studied for it?

Kevin

Reactions: wilkie647
Wow! Thank you for the pdf. I am going to print it out and use it for studying before my test. I am taking a King School course on Part 107 as well. Did you know any of the material before you studied for it?

Kevin
You're welcome! Yes, kind of. I'm prior military and did a lot of operations work both on a ship and planning center, so maps and charts are very familiar. However, I knew nothing with regards to civilian radio frequencies, and crew management terms.

Good luck with it!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000