DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

128 GB Max or 256 GB?

rkruz3

Reactions
The manual say 128GB SD card max I think. But I read somewhere you can use 256GB with no problem. Can I used a 256 GB card in the Air 2S? Thanks

Yes.

According to DJI, 256 is the max.

The manual say 128GB SD card max I think. But I read somewhere you can use 256GB with no problem. Can I used a 256 GB card in the Air 2S? Thanks
if you only want full 4K videos for the full flight, i would advise maximum. But if you read Raspberry Pi microSD card performance comparison - 2019 | Jeff Geerling you would see that SMALLER micro SD cards (even 32 GB) have smaller ‘blocks’ and are FASTER for lots of pictures and RANDOM access. The same counts when you want a bootable SSD for your Mac or PC for Adobe Premier (take the second disk a bigger SSD only, nog a 2TB as boot disk because of very bug blocks and slower data allocation tables, even in NTFS).

i use only 16, 32 or 64 GB micro disks and the 16 GB seems to be much less fragile as well when stopping them or even ejecting them while writing on them (i test things to the extreme). If you do that with a 256 GB, 75% chance you need special software like disk doctor to recover your files. With rain falling on the drone or on your hands taking out your micro SD card, the 16 GB seems more resistent or safe as well. If you could imagine how much 256 GB on a micro SD is, you would understand this much better, i think. +je

Reactions: Brian I
I'm always concerned with the large capacity SD cards. Had one lock on me once and I could not get it to open, luckily I had downloaded every thing of it. Only use 64gb in my drones, that's plenty big enough for my needs.
Regards

@rkruz3 you are better off having a few 32gb or,64gb cards ,and changing them at regular intervals during a days filming, that way you lessen the chances of loosing all your recordings ,should an issue arise with the card or your drone

@rkruz3 you are better off having a few 32gb or,64gb cards ,and changing them at regular intervals during a days filming, that way you lessen the chances of loosing all your recordings ,should an issue arise with the card or your drone
this, over 128gigs its over rated and encourages better data management to stick to smaller cards.

There is no need to use the largest possible sd card.
If you value your work, you don't want to have it stored on the card in your drone and risk it each time you fly.
The smallest cards you can buy will hold more than you can record in one flight.
Consider how many eggs you want to risk in one basket.

Has anyone tried the Microcenter microSD cards in their drone? Those are only a fraction of the cost of other brands and I have found them to be reliable. I am sure that you would need the high performance version in the drone.

I've been using the 64gb cards since the Spark and 126gb for the MA2.

At 1080p, that's a lot of storage for me. I might go a month of recording stuff without making a dent and be surprised of the stuff I did get. ?

The cards have gotten much cheaper now a days and I've been thinking about purchasing a bunch of smaller ones and change them with each battery.

I plan on filming water sports and don't want to loose it all if ????

I do have a life jacket for the MA2, but ya never know.

Last edited:
I use 64GB SD cards... not possible to fill one in 2-3 flights. I change SD cards when I change drone batteries. Minimizes chances of lost video w/o using power to transmit data to my controller.

Hi, my MA2 came with a 128. every time I return home, I pull the card and download EVERYTHING to a dated folder on my iMac. Then put it back in the MA2 and format it there. I don't know if there is a limit. Good luck, let us know how that 256 works.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs