DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

16,785ft flight with the Mavic Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added the audio effects, I use a program called Dashware to add the overlays you see on the video.

Dashware really brings a new dimension to the flight, Something I was not aware of , I loved the Audio Chatter and I love pushing the Limits of the drone as most of you already know.

But Im wondering if these long distance flights could be done in a Circle and how it would affect the flight ?
Maybe this way some of the pressure can be taken off these flight tests for those so opposed to them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water.

Reactions: BigAl07
Who says the Mini don't do distance? I was out 16,785ft (3.2miles) and maintained 100% signal the whole flight. Data from Airdata and overlays from Dashware

View attachment 115522View attachment 115523View attachment 115524View attachment 115525View attachment 115526View attachment 115527
How many Observers did you have stationed along your flight path to retain VLOS? (The last long distance flight I saw here had an observer every 1.5 miles).
I am curious, also, what the helicopter blade sound and ATC throughout the entire flight.
Apart from that, it was a nice video.

Dashware really brings a new dimension to the flight, Something I was not aware of , I loved the Audio Chatter and I love pushing the Limits of the drone as most of you already know.

But Im wondering if these long distance flights could be done in a Circle and how it would affect the flight ?
Maybe this way some of the pressure can be taken off these flight tests for those so opposed to them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water.
Flying in a circle is fine if you want to see how long you can fly or total round trip flight distance. What I did was try to see how far I can fly without losing video connection.

it would be fun to pre plan landing zone further away and not have to worry about returning due to battery status. But there really is no practical reason for it.

it was a a rush doing it

How many Observers did you have stationed along your flight path to retain VLOS? (The last long distance flight I saw here had an observer every 1.5 miles).
I am curious, also, what the helicopter blade sound and ATC throughout the entire flight.

VLOS isn't something the operator can relinquish to the VO. At least not how the regulations are currently written in terms of ~P107. Hobby just states fly within VLOS which is pretty cut & dry.

VLOS isn't something the operator can relinquish to the VO. At least not how the regulations are currently written in terms of ~P107. Hobby just states fly within VLOS which is pretty cut & dry.

Would glancing down at the screen to see your height or setting up a quick shot put you in violation of not maintaining VLOS? How is the pilot to keep one eye on the drone and another on the screen to see what's being recorded? So I guess were all guilty of that then. **No living creatures were killed during this flight** . Just enjoy the hobby. Why is everything these days have to be a GOTCHA thing.

Would glancing down at the screen to see your height or setting up a quick shot put you in violation of not maintaining VLOS? How is the pilot to keep one eye on the drone and another on the screen to see what's being recorded? So I guess were all guilty of that then. **No living creatures were killed during this flight** . Just enjoy the hobby. Why is everything these days have to be a GOTCHA thing.

Don't be silly, looking down to monitor telemetry is enhancing the safety of the flight. Anything else is a clear violation of VLOS. Gotcha all you want but it's VERY much outside of any reasonable about of VLOS.

Don't be silly, looking down to monitor telemetry is enhancing the safety of the flight. Anything else is a clear violation of VLOS. Gotcha all you want but it's VERY much outside of any reasonable about of VLOS.

I wont reply to any further posts about rules, that was not the point of my original post.

This is the actual wording for 107 and Recreational Flyers

Part 107.31:

]§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft’s location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.
(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:
(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or
(2) A visual observer.

Recreational Flyers
Keep your drone within your visual line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.

Last edited:
I wont reply to any further posts about rules, that was not the point of my original post.

This is the actual wording for 107 and Recreational Flyers

Part 107.31:

]§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft’s location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.
(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in paragraph (a) of this section must be exercised by either:
(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or
(2) A visual observer.

Recreational Flyers
Keep your drone within your visual line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.

You posted the very rules that you broke with this flight. Was that the point of your post?

Listen, I wasn't going to even post in this illegal thread because it's well know that our aircraft are capable of flying well beyond legal limits but we all make that decision ourselves. But, when someone else posted something about VO that was "suggesting" something inaccurate about the regulations I quoted THAT person and ONLY that person. When you quoted me and attempted to call me out that's when I came back at you.

This is not an argument you want to have because you're 100% in the wrong.

Reactions: Crystalphantom
Wow!! That's so crazy. Gotta tell you, I love the sound effects. And the telemetry dash is cool. What application are you for that?

Dashware is the software. You should be able to search the forums for Dashware, there are a few threads on it.

This is akin to nothing more than ‘click bait’. One individual gains his 5 seconds of fame with a brag of x-distance covered, all the while maintaining an impossible to believe VLOS. Others jump in and try to discredit. It’s the same old posting that periodically makes the rounds of ‘Believe it or not, I did this’! The unspoken part, of course, is obvious to everyone but the OP. Legality! Fuel to the flames comes in when others find the flaws in the story. Truth of the matter is, two or three days later, no one gives a ( Mod Removed Language) Some pilots wish to follow the rules, encouraging others to fly safely and responsibly, and others simply believe rules are for other persons.

For those that may have been bitten by the ‘click bait’, feel free to drop the video URL to the local FSO. Let them determine legalities. Else, get ready for a posting that brags of exceeding the distance claimed by the OP, because you know the posing was a challenge!

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB