DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

16:9 or 4:3?

xdronedk

Reactions
I heard 4:3 is best for Mavic Air, what do you recommend? I also have an GoPro Hero 7, should I use the same aspect ratio as my drone which means 4:3 on both?

If you don't want the image to be cropped, you should use 4:3.

I heard 4:3 is best for Mavic Air, what do you recommend? I also have an GoPro Hero 7, should I use the same aspect ratio as my drone which means 4:3 on both?
All the Mavic Air does to make 16:9 is turn off pixels on the sensor making it lower resolution. So shoot in 4:3 and then you have the options to crop after if you need to

4:3 is the way to go if you want the largest possible photo.

I shoot 4:3 but crop back to 2:3 so it fits with my normal photography and website - I have no idea why an option for 2:3 isn't there as that's standard for SLRs

Reactions: Jonosay
Would it be a problem when editing if i use 4:3 on my drone and 16:9 on my gopro? I mean wouldn't I get some black bars because of the different aspect ratios?

Would it be a problem when editing if i use 4:3 on my drone and 16:9 on my gopro? I mean wouldn't I get some black bars because of the different aspect ratios?
I think you can only set the aspect ratio for photos, not video. If you were to encounter this situation, I think you would want to crop the 4:3 video rather than letterboxing it.

I think you can only set the aspect ratio for photos, not video. If you were to encounter this situation, I think you would want to crop the 4:3 video rather than letterboxing it.

Ah right. So the video is 16:9 by default? I should record in 16:9 on my gopro as well right?

In my mind, I thought about what I would view the final product on.
8.5" by 11" (AR = 1.29) photo paper, 13" by 19" (AR = 1.46) photo paper, 8" by 10" (AR = 1.25) photo paper, My 15" UHD (4K) (16 by 9) (AR = 1.77) laptop, Our big screen UHD (4K) (16 by 9) TV (AR = 1.77), my desktop UHD (4K) computer monitor (16 by 9) (AR = 1.77). Since my most often used display devices are (16 by 9) (AR = 1.77) I plan everything toward the aspect ratio of AR = 1.77. My wife and I have this discussion every several months when she looks at some old photos at 4 by 3 (AR = 1.33) Then we bought two Samsung Android tablets 8" and 9.7" (4 by 3) (AR= 1.33). Gad what nightmare when you have taken and stored photos for about 70 years! Yes I was processing Ansco color film in my closet under the stairs when I was 12 years old - ha ha.
I hope this helps.
Joe
KC7GHT

Selecting aspect ratio is crucial if you only output the image as JPEG, since if you output it as RAW you can still adjust the cropping in Lightroom or similar applications.

16:9 is a good choice if you want it to have a cinematic kind of cropping while 4:3 is for portrait mostly.

Going to 4:3 crop is best since you can still crop the image to 16:9.

Selecting aspect ratio is crucial if you only output the image as JPEG, since if you output it as RAW you can still adjust the cropping in Lightroom or similar applications.

16:9 is a good choice if you want it to have a cinematic kind of cropping while 4:3 is for portrait mostly.

Going to 4:3 crop is best since you can still crop the image to 16:9.

You are totally correct....... In addition, using the 4.3 aspect ratio you can also adjust it from top to bottom in post and choose the desired look of the overall finished photo. :)

I played around with it and like the 16:9 for what I do but I think most say go with 4:3

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoosiergsp