DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st time out with the mavic and it dropped out of the sky twice.

I am looking at the DAT files and I am seeing a very strange reading from the Barometer sensor. It almost seems like its stuck at a little over 1100M from the moment you took off until it crashed. I see that in both flights. Also it seems like you pressed the pause button just before it shutdown.

I am asking Budwalker and Cyberpower to come in and also take a look.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: kylerf150
Ok thanks,I don't remember hitting pause. I don't even know what pause would do.

I just got back from flying for 1.5 hours and didn't have one issue and I was flying pretty aggressive just to see if I could get it to act up. I was also in sport mode most of the time it was way windy today so maybe tomorrow I will test again and stay out of sport.

Would you like a log from today to see if you see the same error?

Dropbox - FLY048.DAT

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Last edited:
I am still seeing that it reads whatever height you start at as 1143M and near the end of the flight you went up to 1255M.

At this point I am assuming that somehow it is not zeroing out the reading on startup or its using your actual altitude from sea level, I am also assuming that you went up to 112M /367ft just before you descended and landed. Does that sound right?

I am not sure what is going on, I have not heard back from Budwalker but I have checked other DAT files with his software and the Baro readings on those are correct.

Rob

I am still seeing that it reads whatever height you start at as 1143M and near the end of the flight you went up to 1255M.

At this point I am assuming that somehow it is not zeroing out the reading on startup or its using your actual altitude from sea level, I am also assuming that you went up to 112M /367ft just before you descended and landed. Does that sound right?

I am not sure what is going on, I have not heard back from Budwalker but I have checked other DAT files with his software and the Baro readings on those are correct.

Rob
baroRaw and baroSmooth are the actual barometric values. relativeHeight is the signal that you want.

May I ask why u attached such MASSIVE cages to ur Mavic... I can tell u that I suspect that is part of ur problem

Rob
I did go up to like 370 feet before I pressed rth right at the end. I have no problem with sending it back if you think something is screwy with the readings. It seems to be flying fine?? I won't let it get to far away just because of what it did.

What are you reading these logs on? I have tried csv viewer and it doesn't really show anything and won't show anything when importing from dropbox.
Open viewer from the assistant shows a little more data.I just don't like my drone sitting there running while I'm looking at data and trying to fiqure it out.

Thanks again man!!!!!![emoji39]

Rob

May I ask why u attached such MASSIVE cages to ur Mavic... I can tell u that I suspect that is part of ur problem
I was just wanting to have a little protection in case it lands in the hay fields where I fly.Or I crash it!!! You would think with it being a dji product it wouldn't cause any problems but with them off I have been flying without problems.

I also was wanting to have them for when I go up in the mountains for flying around trees.

I was just wanting to have a little protection in case it lands in the hay fields where I fly.Or I crash it!!! You would think with it being a dji product it wouldn't cause any problems but with them off I have been flying without problems.

I also was wanting to have them for when I go up in the mountains for flying around trees.
The biggest problem with cages are that they affect the crafts drop innertia. It can cause the craft to assume is falling or descending slower than what is needed for the motors to push back at to stop a vortex state. I've seen that even with cages on a phantom. It affects the airflow over the props. That's why u find u can fly perfectly without them. Even a 10% deviation of airflow can cause serious issues as the IMU relies on the innertia to determine how much push back to give motors . Attaching bits to a drone other than the kit it's supposed to fly with can adverse affect the craft in a big way

baroRaw and baroSmooth are the actual barometric values. relativeHeight is the signal that you want.

Is that a change in the latest software?
I have files from when I was up around 2000ft in the mountains and the Baro reading on take off was Zero?

Is that a change in the latest software?
I have files from when I was up around 2000ft in the mountains and the Baro reading on take off was Zero?
Been that way since forever. Should the baro reading have been 0.0? I.e. was the launch close to sea level?

The biggest problem with cages are that they affect the crafts drop innertia. It can cause the craft to assume is falling or descending slower than what is needed for the motors to push back at to stop a vortex state. I've seen that even with cages on a phantom. It affects the airflow over the props. That's why u find u can fly perfectly without them. Even a 10% deviation of airflow can cause serious issues as the IMU relies on the innertia to determine how much push back to give motors . Attaching bits to a drone other than the kit it's supposed to fly with can adverse affect the craft in a big way

I think you are probably right.
I spent a couple of hours looking at the DAT files and the only thing I could see was the Baro reading being out. Since then Budwalker has said relative Baro is the actual compensated reading. Using that everything looks fine with flight.

So I guess the prop guards are not meant for any heavy duty flying, just indoor flights or slow flights.

Rob

Been that way since forever. Should the baro reading have been 0.0? I.e. was the launch close to sea level?

Nope I was at least 2000ft up at the time. I could see the sea way off in the distance from the mountain peak.

Rob

Nope I was at least 2000ft up at the time. I could see the sea way off in the distance from the mountain peak.

Rob
Please post the .DAT

Please post the .DAT

I will look but I doubt that I have it anymore. I had GB worth of DAT files that I dumped because they had nothing of major interest.

Rob

I think you are probably right.
I spent a couple of hours looking at the DAT files and the only thing I could see was the Baro reading being out. Since then Budwalker has said relative Baro is the actual compensated reading. Using that everything looks fine with flight.

So I guess the prop guards are not meant for any heavy duty flying, just indoor flights or slow flights.

Rob
Well that's good to know. I really do appreciate you looking into everything for me!!!!

Now I just have to see if I can get my money back for these guards [emoji34].

Again thanks for all the help man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please post the .DAT

I looked, but I dumped most of my personal ones because they contained nothing of interest (no crashes etc).
I did look at a few that I had saved and found one where the guy was high up in the mountains and the Mavic got blown away. On examination you are correct, the values show him starting off at over 200M. Interesting thing is that almost every other DAT file I looked at is so close to 0m that I never even noticed it until now.

Rob

Well that's good to know. I really do appreciate you looking into everything for me!!!!

Now I just have to see if I can get my money back for these guards [emoji34].

Again thanks for all the help man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your welcome. I guess the take away from this is that they are really only for slow indoor flying.

Rob

Lol[emoji38]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser