DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2.7k vs Upscaling to 4k

sojaserju

Reactions
Hey Guys,

I edited my first cinematic mavic mini footage today. I decided to upload to Youtube in 4k. There seems to be a difference in quality between 2.7k and 4k when uploaded. Did DJI give us a drone that is capable of 4k without actually telling us? anyway, let me know what you guys think!

The way I understand it, Youtube allows ~10Mbps for 4K using their VP9 compression codec whereas they limit 1080p to ~2Mbps.

So yes, we're upscaling our footage by 48% to get from 2.7K to 4K, but then there's less compression on the youtube end so it's less blocky during fast motion and retains better colours.

The way I understand it, Youtube allows ~10Mbps for 4K using their VP9 compression codec whereas they limit 1080p to ~2Mbps.

So yes, we're upscaling our footage by 48% to get from 2.7K to 4K, but then there's less compression on the youtube end so it's less blocky during fast motion and retains better colours.
Makes sense, thanks alot!

Youtube processes video above a certain resolution in a 'better' way.
1080p videos will often seem a touch blocky in dark areas after uploading.
If you can do it with your software, try a render setting at 1440p with highish bitrate and upload that, this seems a particularly sweet spot for viewing at their 1080p and you can upscale or downscale to that [1440] size with little difference in the results.
The great majority of YT views are at 1080p even on screens and connections which can go higher.

Reactions: sojaserju

P

Nice, smooth video - esp. like the close flying around the trees.

Why is the video blurry around the edge? I tried every resolution (including the highest HD resolution) but they are all blurry around the edges. Is this an artifact from the upscaling? Which aircraft is this?

Nice video !!

Youtube processes video above a certain resolution in a 'better' way.
1080p videos will often seem a touch blocky in dark areas after uploading.
If you can do it with your software, try a render setting at 1440p with highish bitrate and upload that, this seems a particularly sweet spot for viewing at their 1080p and you can upscale or downscale to that [1440] size with little difference in the results.
The great majority of YT views are at 1080p even on screens and connections which can go higher.
Thanks so much!

Mint! Great vid!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803