Join Us Now

2-mile flight over ocean turns into boat chase

wanderer

Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mydroneviewer.com
Was trying for a personal long distance record, but got side-tracked chasing these teenagers in a fishing boat. As I later found out by reviewing the video, they were fishing for the Mavic!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Oh my, that was fun to watch. Glad you spit the hook out! Nice distance run too. You flying stock MP and controller?

Oh my, that was fun to watch. Glad you spit the hook out! Nice distance run too. You flying stock MP and controller?

Yep, all stock. This is a huge improvement over my Phantom 2, which struggled with video at Emma range (1.3 miles) even with high-gain antenna on the controller and high-power transmitter on the bird.

After I did this video, I actually did make it out to the Eva oil rig (2.2 miles) with the Mavic. Video signal went weak a few times but I was able to restore it by changing my position a few feet and/or raising the controller above my head.

I've ridden my bike past that exact spot many times.
You couldn't be in a better location for maximum range attempts with absolutely nothing in the way.
I'd be too worried about dumping mine into the water and then bye-bye $1300.
:)ThumbswayupThumbswayupThumbswayup

Yes, it's a great location and I've flown from there hundreds of times.

But I've learned the hard way that the Pacific ocean is unforgiving. Two of my Phantom 2's (with GoPro Hero3 Blacks) are in Davy Jones' locker. :eek: Both disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Fortunately I have a DVR recording on the second failure. You could see it fall into the ocean (go to 2:30), but I never understood why.

Fortunately the Mavic Pro has been much more reliable than the Phantom 2 monsters I built (knock on wood!). Coming from the P2, the features, portability, and stability of the Mavic are way beyond the Phantoms I cut my teeth on.

It sure did fall like a rock, that sucks.

That's a cryin' shame.
Everything looked great....battery voltage, satellites....I don't get it either.
What I found interesting though is the fact that your telemetry worked all the way to splashdown.
This seems to possibly suggest a total control failure or maybe a bird strike??

This is a perfect example why I personally won't fly over water, especially the ocean where recovery is pretty much impossible and even a minor dip in salt water could be terminal to the electronics.
I might entertain the thought of flying over a shallow FRESH water stream so the aircraft could possibly be recoverable and maybe even live to fly again.

I feel your pain though.
:(

Yes, it's a great location and I've flown from there hundreds of times.

But I've learned the hard way that the Pacific ocean is unforgiving. Two of my Phantom 2's (with GoPro Hero3 Blacks) are in Davy Jones' locker. :eek: Both disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Fortunately I have a DVR recording on the second failure. You could see it fall into the ocean (go to 2:30), but I never understood why.

Fortunately the Mavic Pro has been much more reliable than the Phantom 2 monsters I built (knock on wood!). Coming from the P2, the features, portability, and stability of the Mavic are way beyond the Phantoms I cut my teeth on.

No chance you killed the motors by pulling down/center together? That's all I can think.

Was trying for a personal long distance record, but got side-tracked chasing these teenagers in a fishing boat. As I later found out by reviewing the video, they were fishing for the Mavic!

How do you do the live feed overlap?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marius Papadopol