DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2019 Galaxy Tab A 8

Hey I just got one to use exclusively for the Mavic Mini.

Sadly, it's Unable to play the video files I download off the drone or when I stick the mircro SD card in the tablet. The tablet is stock so far and I've updated it but the Gallery won't play the videos. Only UPlayer and XPlayer were able to play the video but it was jittery.

Most importantly, the DJI Fly app Can't play the videos. So I can't use the nice tablet screen to edit the amazing video it takes.

It works fine on my Galaxy s8 phone. I hope this is not a spec limitation on the tablet.

Reactions: phantomi
Sadly, it's Unable to play the video files I download off the drone or when I stick the mircro SD card in the tablet. The tablet is stock so far and I've updated it but the Gallery won't play the videos. Only UPlayer and XPlayer were able to play the video but it was jittery.

Thanks for the info, was looking at getting one for my MM and P4. Strange that it won't play back the videos. I presume you are shooting in 2K resolution? I wonder if its having a hard time downsizing the video resolution to 800P. Your S8 has a higher resolution screen so could be why it works.

As for playback apps, have you tried MX Player or VLC for android? Both are pretty robust in format compatibility and both are free.

I'm on the horns of a dilemma whether to get the Tab A 8.0 or get the 10.1. Live View for both drones are only 720P so live view isn't gonna be an issue. But reviewing the recordings and editing would be nice on a higher res screen.

You've given me something to thing about.

Thanks,

Philip.

I second the recommendation for VLC for Android. Give that a try and let us know. I think many of us are searching for some tablet options. Thanks for your post.

GM

So I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019 Model T510) and from all research, it seems to be running Android 9 (Pie) and is 64 bit based BUT for the love of all things holy, I can not install the DJI Fly app on the device. I have turned on install from unknown sources, I've given permission to MyFiles to allow installs of .apk files and still no dice. The install starts but then fails just short of completion and I get a message along the lines of App Not Installed.

Mavic420, did you do anything special to get the app to install?

Thoughts? Options? Opinions?

-Phil.

So I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019 Model T510) and from all research, it seems to be running Android 9 (Pie) and is 64 bit based BUT for the love of all things holy, I can not install the DJI Fly app on the device. I have turned on install from unknown sources, I've given permission to MyFiles to allow installs of .apk files and still no dice. The install starts but then fails just short of completion and I get a message along the lines of App Not Installed.

Mavic420, did you do anything special to get the app to install?

Thoughts? Options? Opinions?

-Phil.
How much ram does it have? Pretty sure you need 4gb, might get lucky with 3gb.

This thread is about the 8" model. There are several reports of the 10.1" model not working with the app.

How much ram does it have? Pretty sure you need 4gb, might get lucky with 3gb.
The model I have has 2GB. Is the requirement for 4GB of ram a definite factor? Up above Mavic420 says he/she has the 8 inch version of the same tablet and i do believe the specs for the 2 tabs are the same. He/she seems to have been successful in installing the app.

The model I have has 2GB. Is the requirement for 4GB of ram a definite factor? Up above Mavic420 says he/she has the 8 inch version of the same tablet and i do believe the specs for the 2 tabs are the same. He/she seems to have been successful in installing the app.

Yes I am watching this as well. I was worried if 2gb would work.

Since they're about $60 used on eBay, I had looked at the Tab A to use as an IP camera monitor and for flying the Mini, but I'm a bit concerned about the 4-core processor running at only 1.2gHz, as well as the 2GB RAM. If it's fast enough and has enough memory to run DJI Fly, that's good, but I'm certainly hoping to be able to run Litchi in the near future, and it requires more resources to do things like Follow Me and point-of-interest orbits.

My 2019 Tab A 8" installed DJI Fly just fine (using the downloadable apk - not play store). Connected to the aircraft just fine and the video feed was fantastic.

Can't fly it yet due to high winds and needing a longer micro usb cable (**** thought it was usb c!).

My 2019 Tab A 8" installed DJI Fly just fine (using the downloadable apk - not play store). Connected to the aircraft just fine and the video feed was fantastic.

Can't fly it yet due to high winds and needing a longer micro usb cable (**** thought it was usb c!).
Good to hear. Was on the fence about the Tab A 8 vs. the Tab A 10.1. Went for the 10.1 due to the bigger screen and better screen resolution. Might have to revisit the decision.

Are you able to share any details about the tablet? i.e. Full model number , Build number, Kernel version or any other pertinent details? Would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Philip.

Last edited:
Reactions: astrohound24
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom