DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2nd Video - Suspense Exercise

Reactions

I'm brand new with my Mini 2 but I've had a couple of drones in the past for very brief moments. Long story LOL. Right now I'm practicing learning how to fly and also trying to create little quick mini movies of different genres. I have a bit more experience in editing than I do with flying but not much. I don't have any filters yet but they are coming. This one I was trying to create a suspense/action type of movie feeling.

Nice job. Learning to fly these things well is a challenge. Filming is so much different than holding a camera in your hands.

Small critique: Not so much a critique but a challenge. What can you do or could have done to make the section where you approached the bricks more interesting without throwing in the jitter special effects? I liked the effects, but looking at it critically it seemed like it was trying to add something that wasn't there. It did break up the monotony of a long clip of the same thing. Perhaps working with speed or doing some zoom in post might be on suggestion to explore. I'm sure there are other things.

Reactions: Northwest flyer
Nice job. Learning to fly these things well is a challenge. Filming is so much different than holding a camera in your hands.

Small critique: Not so much a critique but a challenge. What can you do or could have done to make the section where you approached the bricks more interesting without throwing in the jitter special effects? I liked the effects, but looking at it critically it seemed like it was trying to add something that wasn't there. It did break up the monotony of a long clip of the same thing. Perhaps working with speed or doing some zoom in post might be on suggestion to explore. I'm sure there are other things.
Thank you very much! I love feedback. I haven't been out too much but what I'm finding really quickly is that I just don't shoot enough video lol. So I'm kind of left dealing with what I shot. And also there are much more interesting shots that I could have gotten and that hopefully I will learn with experience. Thank you again!

Thank you very much! I love feedback. I haven't been out too much but what I'm finding really quickly is that I just don't shoot enough video lol. So I'm kind of left dealing with what I shot. And also there are much more interesting shots that I could have gotten and that hopefully I will learn with experience. Thank you again!
You are welcome. Don't feel bad in the slightest. You are not alone. I recall the first project I did with my Mini 1 not that long ago, I went back to the location I think FOUR TIMES and can't even count the number of times I re-edited it (learning video editing at the same time!). I don't know if I'm getting better at shooting, but perhaps getting luckier, having enough footage to cobble projects together, again re-editing sand re-editing and re-editing after looking at my first version saying to myself "This is ****"... often after posting it here in the forum. As I recall, the second to the last project I did I went back once for some additional footage and don't think I used more than a few seconds from the first trip out there. To me, learning this stuff is like drinking from a fire hose. Thanks for sharing your project.

Hi NorthwestFlyer, I enjoyed the video and the good fitting music. I also like the "rotten structures" and the editing.
Concerning the "jitter effects" I am with Vindibona! ?
cheers Paul

I liked the film but found it somewhat repetitive in an attempt to fill space. In this case, I think, less is more.

You need more footage of other subjects, not just many viewpoints of the same subject. The key , I think, is to take more time, go back to this subject or a related subject on another day and shoot some more footage with a fresh eye. The more material you have, the more you have to choose from at the editing table. You can cherry pick the good stuff and dump the ordinary or bad stuff.

I just completed a project which I intend to put here in the forum tonight. After a full shooting trip, I spent the day at the editing desk and found I needed more material. So I waited for a nice weather day (fluffy clouds for me), and went back for a 2nd shoot. Professional editors call these clips, "assets." So the more assets you have in your folder on the desktop, the more you have to choose from.

Dale
Miami

Thank you! That means a lot. Really don't know what I'm doing yet but working on it...
If you don't know what you are doing now, can't wait to see what you do when you have it figured out!!
Great video and the music made it. Especially the base "vibration" in the video.
Keep up the great work!

For some reason it reminded me instantly of the the 1971 Michael Caine film Get Carter. Just a completely grim setting and the kid wheeling around on the MX bike seemingly oblivious to the bleak surroundings was a great touch. I totally agree with GregS above

I liked the film but found it somewhat repetitive in an attempt to fill space. In this case, I think, less is more.

You need more footage of other subjects, not just many viewpoints of the same subject. The key , I think, is to take more time, go back to this subject or a related subject on another day and shoot some more footage with a fresh eye. The more material you have, the more you have to choose from at the editing table. You can cherry pick the good stuff and dump the ordinary or bad stuff.

I just completed a project which I intend to put here in the forum tonight. After a full shooting trip, I spent the day at the editing desk and found I needed more material. So I waited for a nice weather day (fluffy clouds for me), and went back for a 2nd shoot. Professional editors call these clips, "assets." So the more assets you have in your folder on the desktop, the more you have to choose from.

Dale
Miami
Thank you! Great advice. Yes I am learning my lesson that I need to come back with a lot more footage.

For some reason it reminded me instantly of the the 1971 Michael Caine film Get Carter. Just a completely grim setting and the kid wheeling around on the MX bike seemingly oblivious to the bleak surroundings was a great touch. I totally agree with GregS above
That's cool! I just watched the trailer to that movie and that's quite a compliment. I love the one line where they say "Carter...spreading terror with an uncontrolled trigger!"

Reactions: hiflyer201
Really nice job. I watched it twice just to check the timing. Right on spot !!!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarstenG