DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

30 fps to 24 fps

Frame rate and playback speed are two different things.
I agree so I am confused about why we aren’t in agreement.
If you play a clip recorded at 30 FPS at at 24 FSP, then you are slowing it down and the number of frames has changed.
No, this is where I think you have it confused. If you play a 30 FPS clip at 24 FPS the number of frames HAS NOT changed. Only the playback speed has changed. The playback of the frames takes longer (slows down the video) but no frames are dropped or interpolated.

Think about it like this, if you take a 10 second video recorded at 30 FPS you have 300 frames. If the playback speed is 30 FPS then the video takes 10 seconds to play back those 300 frames. However, if you change the playback speed to 24 FPS then the video will be 12.5 seconds. No frames were dropped and none were added that is just how long the all 300 frames will take to play.

You would be right if the duration of the clips didn’t change, that’s the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
I have seen numerous videos about shooting at higher frame rate and playing back slower to create a smooth video. So, I shoot at 30 fps then render the video at 24 fps. The video looks exactly the same, runs the same length of time, and has exactly the same file size. Just wondering what I am missing here ?

Using Pinnacle Studio 22.

Comments and suggestions appreciated!
Run you video through an editor (I use PowerDirector) if you shoot 30fps then in post production in the editor change the speed to 24fps in the editor's settings. Then you will see the changes. I shoot my regular Sony A7R4 at 120 fps then in the editor I slow down the speed to anything I want which spreads out the video's time giving you great slow motion

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N