DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

360 camera with Air

DaveLewin

Reactions
Yeah, probably a silly question, but has anyone tried mounting a 360 camera to the Air? Does it even have the power to carry one?
Genuine question, no flaming pls

I have mounted a 360 camera on a larger drone (Typhoon H which has 6 rotors) and although it seemed to handle the extra weight, it does seem to want to lean toward the extra weight. The light weight of the Air seems to be more effected by additional weight. I added the seemingly light prop guards and the Air gave a warning of an additional payload. Nonetheless, the video result of the 360 camera was pretty anticlamatic. With no gimbal, the video is no where as nice as the stock camera with the gimbal.

Reactions: DaveLewin
I have a bayonet mount strap for the Mavic Pro, and how flown both the Insta360 and Ricoh Theta V. Works very well, and the images are stabilized pretty well by the electronic gyro.

Best results are with the camera mounted hanging below, so the aircraft image is above in the sky where there isn't subject matter. I'll upload a clip to YT and post a link in this thread.

The Air should handle it just fine, as soon as there's a mount.

Sorry guys, forgot about this... here's a clip mounted on the Pro:

For fun, here's some beautiful sunset at the beach I shot on the Mavic Air. Much better camera than the Pro:

Reactions: MJ224 and DaveLewin
Insta360 just released a firmware update for the ONE that, as I've been telling people, continues to improve the stabilization algorithms. Here's a side-by-side on a Mavic Pro done by Jean-Marie Cannie, showing new f/w (left) vs. old (right). I can't wait to get my 360 up in the air -- it's raining right now.

After updating, I did a little experimentation to test some theories I have about 360-sphere stabilization. Lacking a mechanical gimbal to keep the camera pointed in the same direction, 360 cameras use the fact that they have the entire image space, so can simply rotate it to correct orientation given orientation data from a gyro.

However, this introduces blurring at lower shutter speeds, an artifact not present in a gimbal-stabilized camera. The obvious way to reduce this problem is use higher shutter speeds. Confirmed in the video I took below:

In the first part, the ISO is 400, shutter 1/30. Note the blurriness as the camera is rapidly rotated back and forth.

In the second part, we're at 100 and 1/120. Much less blur artifacts.

This technology is at the very cutting edge, ground floor. I'd predict that mechanical gimbals are headed for the same graveyard as buggy whips. There's still plenty of distortion, some blurring, and other artifacts. Nothing that can't be fixed.

I'm waiting for DJI's first 360 camera drone with no gimbal. 1-2 years.

But the Mavic Air can do 360s at 32 MP so why would you? I know its an obvious question because I love 360s, I have a Theta V and a Theta S and I know it would be interesting to mount it on my drone and I am sure I saw a mount to do just that the other day and its the 360’video that would make that a want, but 32 MP stills are about the same. So why?

Then makes total sense but assume that its slung under the drone you would want? Which is not what I saw, the mount I saw was for the Pro I think and was top mounted so didn’t make the most sense.

I have a mount that mounts the camera underneath the drone... see the video I posted in post#4

I have attached several 360 cams to several drones. 360 cams: Kodak, Samsung , most recently Garmin VIRB(best). Tried on Phantom 4 but Mavic Pro is best. Tried on top, stable but view is fair. Best is hanging below, about 8-10 centm.
Yesterday tried on the Mavic Air, but not so good, it can lift the heavy ish Garmin , 180 grms. But very unstable. If closer to M Air body, a bit better but bad vibrantions. Have only found 1 mount though. Want to figure out a way. If anyone finds one give a shout.

I have a stick on mount similar to the one above mounted to my Q500 4K. Flies fine if I remove CGO3, but video quality on the 360 if horrid especially without stabalization. Not sure I'll ever try this with the Air.

I just ordered this for the air. I'm going to try to fly my Ricoh theta S
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJ9NXM5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mount weighs 13g and the Ricoh is 125g

I should be able to lift it okay. I have a similar 360 camera, the LG 360 (LG-R105) that I got for the Mavic Air. But I prefer to have it below. On top you get too much of the drone in the video for my taste. Slinging below looks better. I finally was able to take off and actually get some altitude and distance. If you take it slow all should be basically okay, Fly SLOW though. I found if you move too fast that is when start to get into trouble. If you do put below the camera, try flying in Sport.

Yeah, probably a silly question, but has anyone tried mounting a 360 camera to the Air? Does it even have the power to carry one?
Genuine question, no flaming pls

May I ask... what do you mean "no flaming" ? Just curious.

I guess I was just trying to preempt some negative responses. Question still stands

Hey... Thanks for answering. Yes indeed...I know what you mean by negative responses, kind of irritating. Make that very irritating. Anywho... YES the M Air can lift a 360. I have tried several. Stability wise, it is better to have the 360 cam. on top, but the view from under the craft is much better. The Garmin/Virb is a bit too heavy (160 grams). It can be lifted but...not very stable. I got a LG 360,, LG-R105. Not too expensive, it weighs 76 grams. Underneath it can be lifted...and works if you fly slow. Though it vibrates. I have been trying various things...and for the M. Air this works the best...though the LG camera is not so great. Hope that helps.

Reactions: DaveLewin
Hey... Thanks for answering. Yes indeed...I know what you mean by negative responses, kind of irritating. Make that very irritating. Anywho... YES the M Air can lift a 360. I have tried several. Stability wise, it is better to have the 360 cam. on top, but the view from under the craft is much better. The Garmin/Virb is a bit too heavy (160 grams). It can be lifted but...not very stable. I got a LG 360,, LG-R105. Not too expensive, it weighs 76 grams. Underneath it can be lifted...and works if you fly slow. Though it vibrates. I have been trying various things...and for the M. Air this works the best...though the LG camera is not so great. Hope that helps.
Very useful, thank you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS