DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3rd day of ownership, broke my gimble

GovGeek

Reactions
I was running the props at idle to run down Hunter's battery. At idle it just sits there of course. I went to move it a little and the GPS got wonky because it wasn't controlling the hight. So it tried to throttle up full because it thought it was falling I guess. I was only able to grab one leg which tilted sideways and took off like an airplane ripping it out of my hand. I feel so dumb.

But I ordered a replacement ribbon from Amazon and got it the next day. It took me 2 hours to replace it as I was afraid of damaging the replacement. Learning the right bends was challenging. But I got it fixed and didn't need to use Refresh!

66dabfc647424828c429914378172142.jpg
627faf9737e46b6a5d2d0ad52f7e7b8d.jpg
93763be794198faf8b07a262137f6ccd.jpg

Ribbon I purchased http://amzn.to/2eVKNSj
Video of the before and after behavior

Why? Can you point out in the warranty where what you mention negates the warranty?
Yes, I'm curious about this, too. And besides, it won't prevent me from attempting to use refresh if I have to. Chances are things will be much worse in that case and I'm assuming the ribbon will be unidentifiable at that point ;). I guess I'll just see what the outcome is when the time comes.

I think that there is one screw that is "filled", and this is DJI's way of telling them that some has opened the mavic.

I think that there is one screw that is "filled", and this is DJI's way of telling them that some has opened the mavic.
Correct, I noted that and put it back. :)

From the git go,,,,, why were you trying to run the battery down? The worst thing you can do to a lithium battery is to run it all the way down?

How were we supposed to know this?
How did you know what MP is? That's a rhetorical question. MrTreat probably would've gotten it. LOL

just checked my MP and two of the screw sockets are filled with glue or wax. Would have to dig it out to get a screw driver in the hole to remove the screws.

When I got my replacement MP back from DJI I noticed that it was named "Piglet". Didn't care for that name so I renamed it to locoMavic. my first one was named "Locoman". So now I have two separate listing of flight records and both of those listings are combined to a list under "locomanjak" which is my email log in name. Interesting....

Reactions: GovGeek
From the git go,,,,, why were you trying to run the battery down? The worst thing you can do to a lithium battery is to run it all the way down?
I disagree, the worst thing you can do is light it on fire! :D However I was running it down because I knew I wouldn't use it for a month, the battery was at 80% still and it was too late to fly. I've run electric RC cars since the '80s to current, I wasn't trying to deplete it "all the way down," and don't recall saying that.

Whic
just checked my MP and two of the screw sockets are filled with glue or wax. Would have to dig it out to get a screw driver in the hole to remove the screws.
Which sockets? I'm curious if it was different than mine. Mine were like a hard plastic from hot glue-gun Thanks!

Speaking of batteries. I had an old RC airplane battery that had "0" charge in it and was NOT able to recharge it.

Thought I read somewhere, where DJI recommended that about once every 6 months the battery should be drained quite low, maybe about 5%, unordered to reset the "Intelligent Flight Electronics". But just did a search in the manual and couldn't find the reference.

Speaking of batteries. I had an old RC airplane battery that had "0" charge in it and was NOT able to recharge it.

Thought I read somewhere, where DJI recommended that about once every 6 months the battery should be drained quite low, maybe about 5%, unordered to reset the "Intelligent Flight Electronics". But just did a search in the manual and couldn't find the reference.
That sounds familiar. I too would like some clarity on this. I know the intelligent batteries will mostly self-manage, but I'd like to squeeze as much life as possible from my sub-$90 volts of joy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis