DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4 day trip to Maui, should I bring my drone?

shiqiu1105

Reactions
I am only a recreational flyer.

Should I bring my Mavic Pro?
Is there any beautiful spots that allow drones to make it really worth it? Or is the law so strict that it is really not worth it?

Reactions: Cafguy
I would look here first and follow some of the links. There is quite the patchwork of restrictions and it is somewhat dynamic. For example they just banned the entire Kapali Coast for drones.

Drone laws Hawaii

Reactions: Cafguy
The Kanapali coast area, the airport at Kahului and the Haleakala National Park are the only areas on the island which show restricted according to Air Aware. There’s still a ton of unrestricted air space to explore on this beautiful island. Go for it.

Someone in Hawaii needs to challenge these laws. While the FAA recognizes states rights to control take off and landings, they do not recognize their right to limit air space access, which is what Hawaii is doing. It would be costly and time consuming for a tourist to challenge but a resident would be better suited to do so.

Someone in Hawaii needs to challenge these laws.

And I hope for the sake of all of us the State wins.

How timely. I just returned from a week on the Big Island. Enjoyed many visual treasures. There were lots of visitors at many of these landmarks. Quietly taking pictures. Enjoying the experience.

I have no doubt there were other drone pilots there besides me. Of course, none of us were flying, it's prohibited. And rightly so. Imagine how ruinous it would be to have a drone flying around in front of Rainbow Falls, as just one example...

1000019893.jpg

1000019894.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: davery87
Just what we need - 50 states with 50 different sets of drone laws. NO THANK YOU.

From your response it appears you have no understanding of why these restrictions are in place in Hawaii, or the point I was making.

In any case, drone enthusiasts should have access to these sites too. Making that happen, though, requires something absent here in this discussion, and in our culture generally: Respect for others' priorities, needs, and desires, and a willingness to compromise.

If that was the way "things" were in American society, we might have specific drone hours on specific days at Rainbow Falls. Everyone gives a little, gets what they want.

However so long as drone pilots look on any restrictions as something to fight, and the rest of the public views drones as annoyances that we'd be better off without them entirely, complete prohibition will be the result.

And it's a fight the drone will always lose. We are so overwhelmingly outnumbered. Legislation, made by lawmakers, will always hew towards what will get them elected (rightly so), which means no drones.

So, be respectful of the non-drone public's priorities. Seek compromise. Much more likely to get a chance to film Akaka Falls that way, hopefully some time in the future.

Last edited:
Compromise is just another way of saying "give up my rights". I'll take a hard pass.

So you don't agree with our democratic form of government? How do you suggest a town of 100 people make decisions about the most basic things like roads when they have conflicting views and priorities?

I'm honestly interested in your views on governance if compromise is not a part of the process.

Seems like the problem with drones in Hawaii is that a lot of the most interesting places in which you'd want to fly and take photos and record videos are in state or federal parks or marine reserve areas.

They allow those tourist planes and helicopters to fly by or over a lot of these areas though. If you want to protect certain birds or not disturb other animals on the ground or in the sea, you'd think these larger aircraft would be more intrusive to these species.

So you may have to spend a couple hundred dollars for a 20 minute ride and just take pictures from those.

That's assuming you can get a window seat -- preferably one that can be opened enough to not shoot through a window, which may be dirty or scuffed up.

I took my drone to Maui before the fires. I was over in Kihei area and during my time there I saw no drone restrictions other than national park areas, however, I did find out that many of the locals aren't too keen on drones. I when over to Kamaole Beach and got a nice tip from a couple of park groundkeepers. They said the best time to fly is sunrise till around 10 am. That's when the beach has way less people and it's mostly a few locals doing their morning walks. Afterwards, it get crowded with tourist & sunbathers. So I did, and got some cool shots. I did get approached by a local, but when I explained to her that I had my TRUST certificate and that this area doesn't show no drone restrictions...AND that I'm just getting some shots in before people start showing up, she was like "Cool, enjoy!" But again, this was three years ago before the fires. I have a friend who works in environment consulting in Maui. He said that the majority of drones he sees are commercial pilots doing land surveys and other Part 107 type work.

Is there any beautiful spots that allow drones to make it really worth it? Or is the law so strict that it is really not worth it?
Of course you should bring it
You can fly all over Maui and all over Hawaii besides national parks and near airports. Not strict at all and no one will say anything to you.

I've been going to my Maui and Kauai for about 20 years now, Funny this article came up today for me. Been bringing my drones there with me since my first DJI Phantom 1 hanging a GoPro underneath! Try bringing that monster today in regard to it's size. I'm actually going to Maui, Kaanapali, tomorrow. I'm bringing my Mavic Mini 4 Pro. Just be smart and fly where you will not see ANYBODY! Sooooo easy.

So you don't agree with our democratic form of government? How do you suggest a town of 100 people make decisions about the most basic things like roads when they have conflicting views and priorities?

I'm honestly interested in your views on governance if compromise is not a part of the process.
It has nothing to do with our form of government. It has to do with State's rights vs Federal rights/law. If the Federal Government gives me the right to fly, why should I agree to let the States take it away or limit that right? As Federal law/regulation, if the states want to change or challenge it, they can either have their Senators or Representatives propose such changes or challenge the Federal power in court. Simply enacting a law in spite of Federal rules is neither democratic nor legal.

Last edited:
I've been going to my Maui and Kauai for about 20 years now, Funny this article came up today for me. Been bringing my drones there with me since my first DJI Phantom 1 hanging a GoPro underneath! Try bringing that monster today in regard to it's size. I'm actually going to Maui, Kaanapali, tomorrow. I'm bringing my Mavic Mini 4 Pro. Just be smart and fly where you will not see ANYBODY! Sooooo easy.
Yea I've been bringing my drones for years too and not 1 person has ever said anything to me. Original Mavic,Mavic airs and minis. Currently Mavic 3 pro. Just gotta be respectful and that's it. There's a lot of locals and tourists that have drones there too. It's not an issue. I'm actually going on Tuesday. Can't wait

If you would just read and understand and respect the Constitution and people's rights, you'd have your answer. It's not perfect but the best available governance process....it's all there. And it works.

Yes. Many, many, many locations. Download the free Avision app for full details.

Attachments

• DSC_0135e.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rudyr