DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$40 pelican-ish case

Jonathnsmith

Reactions
I've been lurking on the forums since I got my mavic reading all the advice and questions on here. I was looking for cases today and came across the pelican like case for $40 on amazon. Considering it's so cheap I ordered it and will update everyone on the quality once I get it. If you're looking for a low cost option it's worth a look. Apologies if someone has posted this specific case on here before, I looked through a couple of posts and didn't see it.

Saw this one too and it looks decent for the price, but went another direction. My biggest concerns were:

• It's only 4" thick, which doesn't leave a lot of space for foam above/below the Mavic for impact protection
  • No mention of water resistance

In the end, I wound up ordering the PolarPro case instead. Twice the price and slightly larger, but it addresses the above concerns, plus the custom foam cut-outs just look nicer than the pick-and-pull DIY. I'm interested in hearing more once you've received it though, so please post an update!

Reactions: socalvn
Saw this one too and it looks decent for the price, but went another direction. My biggest concerns were:

• It's only 4" thick, which doesn't leave a lot of space for foam above/below the Mavic for impact protection
  • No mention of water resistance

In the end, I wound up ordering the PolarPro case instead. Twice the price and slightly larger, but it addresses the above concerns, plus the custom foam cut-outs just look nicer than the pick-and-pull DIY. I'm interested in hearing more once you've received it though, so please post an update!
To the first point, I've been carrying it in my camera backpack, a side pouch on a gym bag that I use for my inspire accessories (I knew I would be holding the bag and placing it which is why I left it so unprotected) and inside the pelican case I have for the inspire. With the exception of the pelican case this gives me a simple solution to throw in a bag or carry around.

Someone asked about water resistance on amazon and the seller said it wasn't. I don't know that it's a big deal to me.

My pelican case for the inspire is pick n pluck and while it doesn't look as nice as the aesthetics of the premade cases, it was only $160. To me the cost savings are worth it even if it looks a little sketchy on the interior.

How are you liking the polar pro case so far?

To the first point, I've been carrying it in my camera backpack, a side pouch on a gym bag that I use for my inspire accessories (I knew I would be holding the bag and placing it which is why I left it so unprotected) and inside the pelican case I have for the inspire. With the exception of the pelican case this gives me a simple solution to throw in a bag or carry around.

Someone asked about water resistance on amazon and the seller said it wasn't. I don't know that it's a big deal to me.

My pelican case for the inspire is pick n pluck and while it doesn't look as nice as the aesthetics of the premade cases, it was only $160. To me the cost savings are worth it even if it looks a little sketchy on the interior.

How are you liking the polar pro case so far?

Don't have it yet (just placed the order yesterday). I'm using an old camera bag for the time being, which works well enough.

I figure the hard case will suffice for storage and transporting in the trunk without worry of damage, and give me the benefit of organization for all the gear to boot. I do a lot of camping and backpacking too, so I am keeping an eye out for a lighter, "packing cube" style solution for those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I ordered the polar pro case one hour ago and it just shipped usps cool

I have this Sams Club. Works perfect. Member's Mark 16" Safety Protective Box - Sam's Club
  • $ 19 98
0007874216033_D

Reactions: WEOTN
Don't have it yet (just placed the order yesterday). I'm using an old camera bag for the time being, which works well enough.

I figure the hard case will suffice for storage and transporting in the trunk without worry of damage, and give me the benefit of organization for all the gear to boot. I do a lot of camping and backpacking too, so I am keeping an eye out for a lighter, "packing cube" style solution for those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Yeah my backpack works alright for now. But its kind of cramped if I put all my other gear in there. Figured I'd get something dedicated so I didn't have to take it with me everywhere.

I like the portability of DJI's case but it doesn't seem to offer a lot in the way of protection. This seems like a happy medium.

I have this Sams Club. Works perfect. Member's Mark 16" Safety Protective Box - Sam's Club
  • $ 19 98

Well you've definitely bested me on cost. Times like this make me wish I was a sam's club member haha.

Yeah my backpack works alright for now. But its kind of cramped if I put all my other gear in there. Figured I'd get something dedicated so I didn't have to take it with me everywhere.

I like the portability of DJI's case but it doesn't seem to offer a lot in the way of protection. This seems like a happy medium.

Well you've definitely bested me on cost. Times like this make me wish I was a sam's club member haha.
$40 is a bargain and no work. I paid close to $200 for my other phantom hard cases. :-/

It's pretty good for $40. I'd almost prefer something smaller since I have so much leftover space even after putting in the mavic, 2 batteries, controller, charger and car charger.

It's definitely not as sturdy as a pelican case but it will do the job for what I need it to do.

IMG_2152.JPG

Nice find for $40! I personally bought the Mavic to get away from hard cases, just way too bulky for me if I'm hiking and traveling. I just put my Mavic in a lens case along with my remote and batteries and throw it into a small day backpack.
Hard cases are great for those times you are storing for a longer period, especially when you have children that like to explore and wreck and everything you enjoy. They are also great for transporting to a location in a vehicle, without worrying about being careful. My case even holds the DJI bag, so I can quickly toss it in the bag if I am going to be walking for a longer distance.

Hard cases are great for those times you are storing for a longer period, especially when you have children that like to explore and wreck and everything you enjoy. They are also great for transporting to a location in a vehicle, without worrying about being careful. My case even holds the DJI bag, so I can quickly toss it in the bag if I am going to be walking for a longer distance.
Exactly. I'm going to most likely keep this in my car and then if I have to go any significant distance away from the car throw the mavic in my backpack. It gives me dedicated storage when I have to use my backpack for other things instead of leaving it loose with all my other gear. I probably wouldn't take the case on a hike but I'd take it in my car to the parking lot and then throw everything I need in the backpack

I ended up buying the sams club offering for $28 shipped and couldn't be happier. It doesn't feel cheap at all and is rated at IP55.

Member's Mark 16" Safety Protective Box - Sam's Club

It currently holds the mavic, controller with guards, power cables, 3 batteries (one on mavic), charging hub, SD cards and reader, four extra props, lightning cable and microfiber cloths. Theres also room to make another slot for a battery (or larger) when needed.

This will be my 'home storage' case for the mavic or used when I need protection on a road trip or something like that. I have a small lowepro camera bag for when I need easy portability.

Fantastic for the price.

IMG_5574.jpg

Last edited:
I returned my polar bear case quality was great but the inside was hard fixed foam so no customization for accessories , I ordered the one from sams club just logged in as a guest , I'm a cosco member but no such luck there , so I also saved $60 this way a win win

I ended up buying the sams club offering for $28 shipped and couldn't be happier. It doesn't feel cheap at all and is rated at IP55.

Unfortunately, word got out on this Sam's Club case. It looks like a bunch of people saw an opportunity to make easy money and cleaned them out the end of January. They are selling them for between $40 and $60 on Amazon and eBay now. Sam's Club just says out of stock and I haven't been able to get an answer as to if Sam's will ever stock it again. Quite the bummer.

Member's Mark 16" Safety Protective Box - Sam's Club

It currently holds the mavic, controller with guards, power cables, 3 batteries (one on mavic), charging hub, SD cards and reader, four extra props, lightning cable and microfiber cloths. Theres also room to make another slot for a battery (or larger) when needed.

This will be my 'home storage' case for the mavic or used when I need protection on a road trip or something like that. I have a small lowepro camera bag for when I need easy portability.

Fantastic for the price.

IMG_5574.jpg

You can get a Pelican 1400 with identical pick and pluck foam for only $20 more than the case in the OP.

$20 in the grand scheme of things for a case holding a $1000 drone, $400 iPad mini, $200 worth of batteries.....

I bought a couple cases at Sam's when they were in stock back in Feb. Plenty of room for the Mavic and a good sized Camera.
mavic%20case.jpg

The case is rugged and padded enough to survive rough desert trails on a RZR UTV. I did fabricate a locking cage so I could leave the UTV unattended for short periods and not worry about a casual passer by making off with my camera gear.
mavic%20cage.jpg

Unlike the Pelican, the Sam's case has nice reinforced places for a padlock and cable at the corners.
mavic%20n cable.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes