DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

46% remaining battery , only 175ft away and suddenly "The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now." What happened?

saxotenor

Reactions
Hello guys,

Last week, I used my MA for a quick & short flight. Just after take off, while MA was only 175ft (53m) from Home position and remaining battery capacity was at 46%, I got the alert message: "The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now".
It is the first time I had such a bad experience. I have checked the logs and found nothing strange.
Did I do something wrong? Could someone explain me what has happened? Very first time for me to get such an unexpected warning? Have you had such a experience as well?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-08-09_[16-03-58][1]log.zip
    86.6 KB · Views: 53
I took a look at the log and didn't see anything to explain that message either. Maybe one of our resident experts has a better idea why that message occured?

You didnt change change settings ??

No I haven't changed any settings. I made 2 other flights on the same morning without any issues.
Very strange to me indeed. And I do not know which settings may have justified such a notice.
Please note, the notice occurred only once in the flight log. Could it be a bug? Have anyone experienced the same before?

Hello guys,

Last week, I used my MA for a quick & short flight. Just after take off, while MA was only 175ft (53m) from Home position and remaining battery capacity was at 46%, I got the alert message: "The remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Return home now".
It is the first time I had such a bad experience. I have checked the logs and found nothing strange.
Did I do something wrong? Could someone explain me what has happened? Very first time for me to get such an unexpected warning? Have you had such a experience as well?

Thanks a lot!
One of the cells might have been sinking faster than the others. I've heard that the battery self discharge can drain them unevenly and if you launched without a full charge this can happen.

Hello
Based on the flights' log, all 3 battery cells were at the same % of charge. The battery was fully charged the day before, I simply had short flights before starting this one...

I simply had short flights before starting this one...
This what Airdata.com reveals from your log related to the last flight battery cells:
Capture.JPG

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Thanks Keule,
So when the pop up showed up, at 10m46s, there were no strange behavior from the cells. Deviations between cells < 0.02v and no significant drop of voltage (quite stable around 3,73V).
Still a mystery...

What is your RTH altitude? I had the same problem and noticed I fat fingered the altitude to 500m instead of 50m.

Oh I think you've got it Mike! You're right, my RTH altitude was 500m...
Thanks a lot!!
Yup! It's right there in the log. Wonder how everyone missed that. You are lucky it was near. Imagine the AC was a significant distance away, you lost signal, and it started climbing to the set RTH height. It would never make it back to home.

Reactions: Shon
I hadn't thought about RTH height affecting battery threshold to RTH. That does make sense since it has to consider the energy to go up to 500m and then back down.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Learned another new one. The best advice I can give a newbie is read this forum for all the ways to lose or destroy your drone and don't do that. Lol
This! I don't quite remember how I stumbled on to this forum. But I dread to think what kind of a flyer I would have been had I not. Or if I would still have a drone to fly ...

Oh I think you've got it Mike! You're right, my RTH altitude was 500m...
Thanks a lot!!
When I first saw the issue I asked in another forum and some guy told me to Read the Manual. Figured it out on my own, glad I could help someone else.

Thanks Keule,
So when the pop up showed up, at 10m46s, there were no strange behavior from the cells. Deviations between cells < 0.02v and no significant drop of voltage (quite stable around 3,73V).
Still a mystery...

Had this happen, myself, when flying a few months back. Was at about 50% then almost nothing. Had to do an emergency landing in the middle of street about a quarter mile from my home point.

DJI couldn't explain it. Had me send the battery in, and just replaced it under warranty.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661