DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4k Monitor advice please

Storyline

Reactions
Hi all

The video card in our main pc is starting to fail and I am presented with the opportunity of convincing my better half that we need a new one and it might as well be 4k capable and have better connectivity. I have also seen on the forum somewhere someone recommending one that is powerful enough to run DaVinci etc and which does not break the bank.

In fact, such good value is this card that it would be mean not to upgrade one of our two monitors to also be able to handle 4k ;). I had a really nice old LED monitor which was expensive when new and after it finally died I have always kicked myself since as I replaced it with a low/mid range model which is not really up to photo work.

So I have some questions. I have read that sometimes text is automatically reduced in size when it's program recognises a 4k monitor. I had a similar issue with DaVinci on my Microsoft Surface Pro where all the text became painfully small and surprisingly it was a handful to fix. Has anyone who has recently upgraded to a 4k monitor had a problem like this ? Also, if some programs are affected is it possible to have the program display on our second HD only screen with the text at normal size and use the 4K for the actual image/s only ?

Are there any other drawbacks to 4k ?

Finally, can someone recommend a nice 4k monitor, preferably in the not a lot more than USD500/GBP450 area please ? I do not need it particularly large as I could probably keep my existing HD ones and fit three on my desk at a push ;)

Many thanks for any advice - I should probably say that this is not for gaming but for images only using PS/LR and video editing using mainly DaVinci.

Just get a 4k TV, cheaper and if you are not gaming you wont be able to tell, but test it out first for pixel clipping, and clarity. Some 55 inch samsung TVs the 6900 series are only 699 bux cnd and si is the 50 inch 7100 series samsung.

Reactions: Kilrah
Just get a 4k TV, cheaper and if you are not gaming you wont be able to tell, but test it out first for pixel clipping, and clarity. Some 55 inch samsung TVs the 6900 series are only 699 bux cnd and si is the 50 inch 7100 series samsung.
Thanks AG :) Always wondered what the difference is. They obviously sell loads more TV's than monitors so they must be more competitive.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB