DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K video from Mini2 refuses to play on PC

Hey Michael,
An converted Aussie eh lol!
Got Rellies in your neck of the woods, Bro-in-Law in Melbourne.

Michael you have been a great help as have all the other contributors to this post, I have leaned a lot, so I feel better equipped going forward with my flying and my videoing, so thanks for all your help and everyone else who has contributed.
This is a great forum with some great contributors.

Just found this on the web​

How to watch 4K video that’s not copy protected​

One of the most challenging issues with 4K video is copy protection. That is, most streaming services – as we said above, Netflix is one – don’t allow their customers to watch 4K content on Windows 10 PCs. The reason is simple: they don’t want that lovely 4K content to be copied, and by making it impossible for a PC to play it, they take away one method that hackers might use to steal the content.

But what about all of your own 4K videos that you’ve shot on your smartphone or video camera, or that you’ve received from friends or downloaded from the internet? That’s not a problem at all. As long as you have a 4K display and a relatively recent graphics card (say, one from the last three years or so), then you just need a video player that supports 4K.

Probably the best choice is VLC Media Player, a free app that can play just about every video format known to mankind. Download and install it, and then you should be able to play all of your local 4K video no matter the format. It’s important to note that Windows Media Player, the default video player included with every copy of Windows 10, cannot play video in 4K.

EDIT:
Hhmmmmm! I just found an early 4K video on a remote drive that I had not deleted so dragged it onto my M.2 Drive and tried VLC and to be honest it seems a tad worse that Windows Media Player.
Oh well! The link above might make interesting reading.

Last edited:
I play 4k video on my PC using Windows Media Player all the time. But, WMP will not play H.265 video.
Capture1.JPG

Hey Michael,
An converted Aussie eh lol!
Got Rellies in your neck of the woods, Bro-in-Law in Melbourne.

Michael you have been a great help as have all the other contributors to this post, I have leaned a lot, so I feel better equipped going forward with my flying and my videoing, so thanks for all your help and everyone else who has contributed.
This is a great forum with some great contributors.
Came over here in 1987, driven out by Maggie 😆
Do miss the old country especially Devon where I grew up. Aus is a great place, some fantastic areas to fly.

I would try MPC-BE (Media player classic black)
This is a very capable player and will play everything. Install the Lav filters and tweak the settings and playback will be even better.
Many options that will improve play back performance.

I have used most players including VLC and and non rival the above player imo.

My PC specs are much lower than yours and can play 4k h264 and h265 no problem using the Intel on board graphics after tweaking the settings even with HDR.

I use the above player with MadVR (which in itself has a ton of tweaks if required) for unrivalled playback quality, particular HDR playback.

I would invest in an NVme, it will supercharge everything especially almost instant boot times.

Windows inbuilt media players are pants tbh.

Last edited:
Reactions: lissforester
My apologies if I've misunderstood any of your posts as there's a lot to take on here.

First question is why are you using the Nvidia 710 rather than the onboard graphics card on the 5600G? The onboard graphics card on the 5600G is a good bit more powerful than the 710 and looking through your posts, the only potential problem I can see is that Nvidia GPU. Even if the current graphics card market wasn't crazy I wouldn't recommend forking out for a GPU just for this problem, the G series Ryzens are a popular choice since they give ok 3D performance for the money. 16GB ram is more than enough for 4K video playback and unless you're needing it for something else, I don't think you'll see any benefit going up to 32GB memory. Just to check, do you have your ram in the correct slots for dual channel?

Have you tried playing back one of these videos on another device (PC, tablet, phone etc.) just to make sure it's not a problem with actual file?

For capacity reasons I store my videos on hard drives and I can play them back in 4K without issue. I can also play back 4K videos from my Mavic 2 Pro on a Core-m (a low power processor between the Atom and ULV series) laptop with Intel onboard graphics and 8GB ram using the default Windows media player, those are much weaker PCs than yours.

Something that's worth checking is task manager which will show GPU usage as well so on my low power laptops I can see which software is using the GPU as it will go up to a good percentage and which aren't, the performance is really choppy and I can see a low percentage on the GPU.

Last edited:
Came over here in 1987, driven out by Maggie 😆
Do miss the old country especially Devon where I grew up. Aus is a great place, some fantastic areas to fly.
Ahhhh! the Old Iron Lady Huhh!
She ruled with a rod of iron and f-----d up a few things, but all-in-all she did OK.
Enough of politics, I think that might have been one of Maggie's comments as well LOL!
You were an old Devonion, love Devon & Cornwall next time I go West I will take my drone with me, beautiful countryside and sea scapes.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
My apologies if I've misunderstood any of your posts as there's a lot to take on here.

First question is why are you using the Nvidia 710 rather than the onboard graphics card on the 5600G? The onboard graphics card on the 5600G is a good bit more powerful than the 710 and looking through your posts, the only potential problem I can see is that Nvidia GPU. Even if the current graphics card market wasn't crazy I wouldn't recommend forking out for a GPU just for this problem, the G series Ryzens are a popular choice since they give ok 3D performance for the money. 16GB ram is more than enough for 4K video playback and unless you're needing it for something else, I don't think you'll see any benefit going up to 32GB memory. Just to check, do you have your ram in the correct slots for dual channel?

Have you tried playing back one of these videos on another device (PC, tablet, phone etc.) just to make sure it's not a problem with actual file?

For capacity reasons I store my videos on hard drives and I can play them back in 4K without issue. I can also play back 4K videos from my Mavic 2 Pro on a Core-m (a low power processor between the Atom and ULV series) laptop with Intel onboard graphics and 8GB ram using the default Windows media player, those are much weaker PCs than yours.

Something that's worth checking is task manager which will show GPU usage as well so on my low power laptops I can see which software is using the GPU as it will go up to a good percentage and which aren't, the performance is really choppy and I can see a low percentage on the GPU.
Sorry
'My Bad' My chip is the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (Not 5 5600G) No onboard Graphics on the 5 5600X as its a out and out Gaming CPU.
Most gamers want 100% dedicated graphics that only a Full Graphics card can give.

Below in bold is cut and pasted from the web
Only AMD's APUs, or Accelerated Processor Units, are currently fitted with onboard graphics. The latest being the Ryzen 7 5700G, Ryzen 5 5600G, and Ryzen 3 5300G. Intel's graphics chips have not been altogether that powerful on desktop though, You can basically forget about playing any of the latest games on them.

See link to web:

The AMD Ryzen 5 5600X is arguably the most exciting processor launched today. Granted, it comes in at a steep price of $300, but just look at what you're getting. Many years ago, naysayers had talked about AMD just grabbing the low-hanging fruit, and that these gains would soon be history as Zen would be a one-hit pony with the departure of its lead designer. Boy, were they wrong.

November 2020

That explains why you're not using the APU then if it doesn't exist, I'd recommend also updating your first post in the thread so others don't make the same suggestion to use the APU.

What is the GPU usage in task manager when playing back a video? I suspect the 710 is causing your problems as it's an old very low performance card but I can't say for sure.

That explains why you're not using the APU then if it doesn't exist, I'd recommend also updating your first post in the thread so others don't make the same suggestion to use the APU.

What is the GPU usage in task manager when playing back a video? I suspect the 710 is causing your problems as it's an old very low performance card but I can't say for sure.
Hi Johnmcl7,
Thanks for the heads up on updating my first post with regard to my processor model. 👍
My thoughts are now down to GPU/Graphics Card to slow and old technology or not enough Ram (16 Gigs of 3200 DDR4 onboard at present )

Hi,
I have had my Mini 2 for about 10 months now and am very, very pleased with it, I have kept it up to date with all the available software updates and the latest Fly App.
My issue is 4 K video refuses to play on my computer, mostly just stalls/freezes, or sometimes will play for a few moments then stalls and appear to backup and repeat a few seconds before stalling again.
2.7 K is a bit better, but, even then it falters before moving on and plays for 10 to 15 seconds before faltering again.

I am using a couple of very good Micro SD cards, one is a Sandisk Extreme V30 U3, the other a Kingston Canvus React Plus Professional Photography V90 U3. Pic attached.

My Computer has an Asus Rog Strix B550 Mother Board, a AMD Ryzen 5 5600G CPU and 16 Gigs of HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 Ram.
The power supply is a 550 Watt Corsair.
I built the computer about a year ago During United Kingdom lockdown.
I am wondering if the problem could be my graphics card, the card I was looking at during the planning of this build was about £300-350 British pounds (about 475$ USA Dollars) because of currency mining and a general world wide shortage of chips the card went up to £1200-1300, when it was available. (I understood at the time there were a number of fake cards being sold).
The graphics card I have in the computer is a Passive Nvidia 2 gig GDDR 6 Card, it is basic and as its passive there is no fan cooling involved, which enforces the fact its a basic card most likely OK for office type use.
I am loathed to fork out £1200 (16004$) for a possible rip off card, or even a genuine one come to that.

I understand that something called graphics card Bottlenecking can happen where a Fast CPU sends information so fast that the slow graphics card can not handle the volume of data so it just stacks up against the card and stalls it.
Any thoughts or conformation of this would be gratefully appreciated.

I have been doing all my flight video in 1080p, my computer handles this just fine and to honest it is certainly acceptable quality.
But us boys are all the same, if our Mercedes or Yamaha will do 150 -160mph ........................................................... :)
PLEASE NOTE THE PROCESSOR (CPU) MODEL NUMBER IN MY FIRST POST IS WRONG.
Model is AMD RYZEN 5 5600X
Thank you Johnmcl7 for pointing that out to me 👌

Hi Johnmcl7,
Thanks for the heads up on updating my first post with regard to my processor model. 👍
My thoughts are now down to GPU/Graphics Card to slow and old technology or not enough Ram (16 Gigs of 3200 DDR4 onboard at present )
It's definitely not ram as 16GB is a decent amount of ram for the moment and far more than is needed for 4K playback. Bear in mind that from Windows Vista onwards Windows will page as much memory as possible to improve performance but will release it when something else needs it so 90% ram usage does not mean the system is running out of ram but functioning normally. I'd recommend trying a new graphics card first as a 1030 will cost you less than 16GB ram.

As mentioned above I'd be checking the CPU and GPU usage in task manager as that will give you a starting point where the problem is. Normally I'd expect CPU usage to be very low and the GPU usage middling which indicates hardware decoding on the GPU is working normally, if the CPU is going high (check per core rather than the overall percentage) then the GPU isn't helping.

Last edited:
It's definitely not ram as 16GB is a decent amount of ram for the moment and far more than is needed for 4K playback. Bear in mind that from Windows Vista onwards Windows will page as much memory as possible to improve performance but will release it when something else needs it so 90% ram usage does not mean the system is running out of ram but functioning normally. I'd recommend trying a new graphics card first as a 1030 will cost you less than 16GB ram.

As mentioned above I'd be checking the CPU and GPU usage in task manager as that will give you a starting point where the problem is. Normally I'd expect CPU usage to be very low and the GPU usage middling which indicates hardware decoding on the GPU is working normally, if the CPU is going high (check per core rather than the overall percentage) then the GPU isn't helping.
Thanks Johnmcl7,
Will take a look at the CPU & GPU usage while playing back 4K later on today.
Boy the sensible money is on the Graphics card being below par.

Just looking at the:
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. 4GB GDDR5
Supports up to 8K display @60Hz.
Around £200 (270 USD $)
Should give me plenty of lee way and future proof things a bit.

Take care & 🎈 fly safe

"limp on" I would say, your videos aren't going anywhere.
But one question, can external HDD's match internal HDD's for speed?
I use an external drive with two 4TB HDDs in RAID 0 configuration. No issues playing or editing 4k videos. Data is backed up to a Cloud based platform.

I use an external drive with two 4TB HDDs in RAID 0 configuration. No issues playing or editing 4k videos. Data is backed up to a Cloud based platform.
What is the connection between the computer and whatever holds the HDDs?

A typical 7200 RPM HDD will deliver a read/write speed of 80-160MB/s. (Maybe higher in a raid)
On the other hand, a typical SSD will deliver read/write speed of between 200 MB/s to 550 MB/s.
While an M.2 can deliver read speeds exceeding 3500MBs.

M.2 is the way to go as long as your Mobo has the right slot/support for M.2 most newer boards do.

7200 RPM HHD' are on average 33% faster that 5400 RPM drives, but, there are other considerations, a 5400 spins slower and will likely 'mechanically' outlast a 7200 spin speed because of the lower spin speed, they also tend to run cooler with less load on bearings.
If you are just using a drive for storage and not running demanding applications directly form it, you are better off with 5400 and they tend to be cheaper to purchase as well.
Another thing to consider is the size of the drive, if you have a 10Gig drive go 'tits up' on you you will be doubly mad and wished you had purchase 2 X 5Gig drives, or 5 at 2Gigs.
I keep telling the wife size isn't everything and you much better with the slower option, tends to last longer. 🤣😍

Last edited:
Reactions: snowghost
PCI 4.0 SSDs are commonplace and inexpensive now. As long as you are giving them 4 PCI lanes, they can do around 7,000MB/s. The catch is that there are very few processes that can use all of that speed, unless you are transferring from one PCI 4.0 SSD to another. Still, if your mobo is compatible, there is no reason not to go that route for future compatibility because the price difference is minimal.

Thanks Johnmcl7,
Will take a look at the CPU & GPU usage while playing back 4K later on today.
Boy the sensible money is on the Graphics card being below par.

Just looking at the:
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. 4GB GDDR5
Supports up to 8K display @60Hz.
Around £200 (270 USD $)
Should give me plenty of lee way and future proof things a bit.

Take care & 🎈 fly safe
That's a lot of money for a 1050ti which was a £150 card when it was launched back in 2016, while I realise the current GPU market is a bit of a mess I'd be wary spending that much for a low performance card especially when it's not definite that will resolve the issue.

In terms of storage speeds I can play back 4K videos without issue from a NAS based HDD or USB3 hard drive, bulk storage for the likes of photos and videos isn't that viable at the moment without very deep pockets.

If you are using VLC for playback, try disabling 'Hardware-accelerated decoding" (see picture):
or try MediaPlayer Classic :

Attachments

• VLC Hardware-accelerated decoding disabled.jpg
    VLC Hardware-accelerated decoding disabled.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 4
Unless you have a 4K monitor (in which case you need a more powerful PC or video card), intend to crop the footage or want to upload it somewhere at that resolution there is no real reason to shoot in 4K. If your PC is struggling to edit 4K just create proxies. Otherwise the old addage just because you can doesn't mean you should applies.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S