DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5.1K to 4K

Filmarik

Reactions
What is the right way of converting Mavic3Pro 5.1K footage into 4K UHD? I assume the two most obvious options are to either drop 5.1K original footage on 4K timeline or edit on 5.1K timeline and export to 4K as last step?? Or maybe there is a third way ??

3rd way would be via free 3rd party video utility apps like VLC or Handbrake.
I am no great expert but IME the 3rd way is only especially helpful for batch processing - if I ever have to convert just a few clips, then regular rescaling in DaVinci Resolve (or similar) seems totally fine for most cases.

3rd way would be via free 3rd party video utility apps like VLC or Handbrake.
I am no great expert but IME the 3rd way is only especially helpful for batch processing - if I ever have to convert just a few clips, then regular rescaling in DaVinci Resolve (or similar) seems totally fine for most cases.
Pardon my rookie question but how do you rescale in DaVinci Resolve?

Pardon my rookie question but how do you rescale in DaVinci Resolve?
You can either just load it into a timeline of target resolution, and it will sort itself out (obviously, resist the dialogue that asks if you want to change project settings to match footage!), or you can just alter its scale in the inspector panel directly in the edit timeline.

What is the right way of converting Mavic3Pro 5.1K footage into 4K UHD? I assume the two most obvious options are to either drop 5.1K original footage on 4K timeline or edit on 5.1K timeline and export to 4K as last step?? Or maybe there is a third way ??
I would drop the 5.1k footage on a 4k timeline. Typically you want your timeline settings to match your designed output size. It will also be easier on your computer while editing to do it this way. If using DaVinci Resolve you can also choose your resize method in the scaling options for the footage or globally in the project settings. Not that it makes a huge difference but you lose control over the scaling method if your timeline is the same size as your footage and resizing on export.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 5.1k video is in DCI (1.90:1) aspect ratio which means it’s a bit wider than UHD (16:9). Therefore, your main consideration is if you want to keep the DCI aspect ratio or cut off a bit of the sides to make it conform to UHD’s 16:9 aspect ratio. The benefit to keeping DCI is that obviously you have a wider view but the downside is that almost always means there will be black bars on the top and bottom of the screen so you lose that screen real estate and resolution.

One major benefit to using a UHD timeline is that you don’t have to make this decision right away. Since almost all screens are 16:9 anyway, it doesn’t matter if the screen itself adds the black bars or if it’s baked into the output video. So you may drop the 5.1k video down onto the UHD 4k timeline without cropping and decide later you do want to crop and go back and forth as much as you want without losing anything you wouldn’t have lost anyway. Changing a DCI timeline to UHD may have issues in some circumstances and DaVinci Resolve doesn’t allow you to do that what so ever. It’s all about thinking ahead and setting yourself up for flexibility and avoiding any potential issues

Reactions: Filmarik
Project Settings>Image Scaling>Input Scaling [Scale entire image to fit] from the dropdown. This will allow you to drop upscaled footage into a timeline without any fussing about. You now have a lot of leeway with zooming and panning (dynamic zoom!) the footage with the inspector on a 4K timeline. You'll want to edit with 1/4 scale (~1080P) proxies so set that up to run next time you take a break. D-Log 5.2K from an Air2S > YouTube this is a preferred workflow.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWaterOps