DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Workflow for processing large amounts of footage?

Xitor

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm sure the more pro pilots / photographers just go out and shoot what they need, and editing is very quick. On the other hand there are folks like me will have some general ideas, but return with a lot of footage. As a result, one of the longest steps is organizing my footage into shots, or scenes. Wondering if anyone has found an efficient way of doing this, or maybe good youtube video. I used to edit with Pinnacle Studio which would allow create multiple scenes from one long shot. However, once you started layering in effects, color grading, speed adjustments, scenes just confused it and it would crash. So trying the same thing with Da Vinci Resolve, my current method is to create a separate time line in my project just for scenes. I'll drop in the full footage, then using keyboard shortcuts trim out want, leaving me just scenes ready to drop in the primary timeline. Then I'll repeat with my next footage. Sometimes maybe two of these clip timelines, one for the drone and one for the gopro or camera. Open to any suggestions on what works for you.

Edit - key thing is few files, but large amount of scenes within those few files. I don't want to save 10TB for every project, but rather cut out the good scenes from that foot so I have it ready to add to a project and save for archives.

Last edited:
This is just a start but I suggest you checkout other videos from this author or just search on YT for many other video tutorials which give you new ideas on how to improve. To be honest, this is going to take months, even years to get good at so I feel your pain. Just stick with it and consider getting a Speed Editor. I have a multi-bay synology NAS which is super helpful.

Reactions: Xitor
Try the cut page for your initial edit of just throwing clips in and trimming them. It can be a useful tool in DaVinci Resolve once you see what it does. I agree with @mavic3usa about Casey Faris. He is a great resource to learn Resolve.

I agree with @mavic3usa about Casey Faris. He is a great resource to learn Resolve.

His tutorial is really good, but assumes you are starting with a bunch of individual clips, not long shots you need to break into clips. I guess for now I'll keep using the cut page, with a dummy timeline I can throw all my precut clips on, and then move those into the main project time, mixing with ground shots, cut aways, etc.

My process (broadly)is:

1. Plan my shoot in advance. Usually in my head, or more recently as a waypoints mission on my RC-2.

2. Review UAP Forecast App to decide which day and time.

3. Go fly and get the footage.

4. Review the footage into keep or discard. Both stills and videos.

5. Import the “keep” footage into Apple Photo and colour grade one video / still at a time, and export back out.

7. Create a new project in Final Cut Pro & import the colour graded media.

8. Find a suitable copyright free soundtrack.(This is very important, and very time consuming).

6. Create the movie to fit with the soundtrack. (3 minutes maximum or near to).

7. Post to YouTube, & share link.

8 Repeat steps 1-7 👍🏻🤣

Reactions: Xitor and bcfd29
His tutorial is really good, but assumes you are starting with a bunch of individual clips, not long shots you need to break into clips. I guess for now I'll keep using the cut page, with a dummy timeline I can throw all my precut clips on, and then move those into the main project time, mixing with ground shots, cut aways, etc.
I have the same problem since I start video recording when I launch the drone and end video recording when I land. Every once in awhile, I might stop and restart in flight if I want to put a known break in teh footage or from habit, "save" the video. Or, with the Mavic 3 Pro you need to stop recording to use the super zoom.

Back at home, I end up with multiple, lengthy files that have to be searched for content. The speed editor has been my solution and it works great and I realize DR + Speed Editor is not for everyone especially for the beginner, but take a look at another video from another great YT instructor to see what advantages it can offer for people like us who have massive content from multiple sources:

I have the same problem since I start video recording when I launch the drone and end video recording when I land. Every once in awhile, I might stop and restart in flight if I want to put a known break in teh footage or from habit, "save" the video. Or, with the Mavic 3 Pro you need to stop recording to use the super zoom.

Back at home, I end up with multiple, lengthy files that have to be searched for content. The speed editor has been my solution and it works great and I realize DR + Speed Editor is not for everyone especially for the beginner, but take a look at another video from another great YT instructor to see what advantages it can offer for people like us who have massive content from multiple sources:

Thanks, you restated my issue in a much clearer fashion. Not just LOTS of footage, but just a few files with lots of scenes within them I need to break out. Watching that video, I think sub-clips may be something that makes my process faster.

Reactions: mavic3usa
My process (broadly)is:

1. Plan my shoot in advance. Usually in my head, or more recently as a waypoints mission on my RC-2.

2. Review UAP Forecast App to decide which day and time.

3. Go fly and get the footage.

4. Review the footage into keep or discard. Both stills and videos.

5. Import the “keep” footage into Apple Photo and colour grade one video / still at a time, and export back out.

7. Create a new project in Final Cut Pro & import the colour graded media.

8. Find a suitable copyright free soundtrack.(This is very important, and very time consuming).

6. Create the movie to fit with the soundtrack. (3 minutes maximum or near to).

7. Post to YouTube, & share link.

8 Repeat steps 1-7 👍🏻🤣
Hey, I’ve got a similar workflow, but I color grade in FCP. Do you find that works better in Apple Photos? Could you expand on why/what works better?

Thanks

Hey, I’ve got a similar workflow, but I color grade in FCP. Do you find that works better in Apple Photos? Could you expand on why/what works better?

Thanks
I prefer the white balance choices in Apple Photo. Nothing wrong with FCPX to colour grade, but I find the overall automation of Apple Photo quicker, and achieves the results I’m happy with.

Hi Xitor,
I agree with several points above... I suppose that each one of us will find the procedures that best suit us..., in any case there is a rule that we have to accept: ... we generate much more material than what we will use in the final pieces....

I usually watch several times the footage before starting the editing process and in each pass I discard shots (for example for having technical details, for being reiterative, for not contributing anything to the story). And it is always better to have several short clips than one long one.

Best regards,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas