DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5.4k Editing with DaVinci?

westwind77

Reactions
I noticed in DaVinci that there is no 5.4k setting, just 4k or 8k. I can't seem to find a place to manually setting a resolution either.

When I select 4k as a project setting and play the 5.4k video in the program is plays perfectly smooth.

When I select 8k as a project setting and play the 5.4k video in the program is jumps, jerks, freezes.

I'm running a desktop with an i7-8700 @ 3.2 with 64GB RAM and a NVidia GTX 1060 with 6GB Ram

I was hoping that would be enough to edit true 5.4k video but it seems without that setting the 8k step up is too much for the system to handle.

Does anyone know a way to get DaVinci to a 5.4k setting or what graphics cards (not that you can get your hands on one) would support the 8k editing?

I'm running the paid version of DaVinci.

I noticed in DaVinci that there is no 5.4k setting, just 4k or 8k. I can't seem to find a place to manually setting a resolution either.

When I select 4k as a project setting and play the 5.4k video in the program is plays perfectly smooth.

When I select 8k as a project setting and play the 5.4k video in the program is jumps, jerks, freezes.

I'm running a desktop with an i7-8700 @ 3.2 with 64GB RAM and a NVidia GTX 1060 with 6GB Ram

I was hoping that would be enough to edit true 5.4k video but it seems without that setting the 8k step up is too much for the system to handle.

Does anyone know a way to get DaVinci to a 5.4k setting or what graphics cards (not that you can get your hands on one) would support the 8k editing?

I'm running the paid version of DaVinci.
You can manually type in a custom resolution in the project settings but I would recommend you to just put the 5.4k footage on a 4k timeline anyway. 5.4k isn’t a standard resolution and so something like YouTube and Vimeo would just convert it to 4k anyway and besides almost no-one has that high a resolution screen. The extra resolution will be good if you need to crop in but you don’t need to beworking with with that much resolution the whole way. Just drop it on the 4k timeline and when you need the extra resolution it will be there.

You can manually type in a custom resolution in the project settings but I would recommend you to just put the 5.4k footage on a 4k timeline anyway. 5.4k isn’t a standard resolution and so something like YouTube and Vimeo would just convert it to 4k anyway and besides almost no-one has that high a resolution screen. The extra resolution will be good if you need to crop in but you don’t need to beworking with with that much resolution the whole way. Just drop it on the 4k timeline and when you need the extra resolution it will be there.
Thank you, found it with scrolling up in the drop down under 'custom'! It plays smooth as well at that resolution so that is good as well. I plan on using it as a 'test' of sorts so I want to have the full res at my fingertips to compare and to also use to crop potentially as well.

On on side note I am curious to see how cropping the 5.4k video compares to the 'cropped' 4k @ 60 video if both cropped to the same view (not sure if anyone has done that yet or not).

Reactions: MaxE1955!
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82