DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5 min. Submersion for my MA2 - A day in the rice and it's all good

Many years ago a old friend how was a watchmaker told me if water gets in to the works and you want to dry it out completely get a container half fill it with methylated spirits then put a cloth over it but don't get the cloth wet and put what ever you want to dry out on the cloth the methylated spirits with vaborize the water leaving it dry
I left the MA2 in a container of rice yesterday and started it back up. The ESC errors did not appear and all 4 rotors appear to be working. It did indicate vision sensor errors for front and bottom. I just downloaded DJI Assistant 2 to do a calibration and I have my fingers crossed. .

I attempted to use DJI Assistant 2 to resolve the Vision Sensor error, but it wouldn't recognize the MA2 despite several attempts and cables. However, the restart resolved the errors on its own. I powered it up and launched in the house and it appears to be perfectly fine. I'd do a test flight, but my house is in the 15 mile radius NFZ around Reagan National Airport and I gotta drive further upriver to get out from under it.

So, the long and short of it is that the DJI Mavic Air 2 in addition to being a great flyer is also submersible. 5 minutes, 4' underwater, still running when I fished it out, a day in a rice container and it's all good. I know they're great drones, but recovery after submersion is way beyond expectations. Submersion test aside, I'm still buying the Rain Suit and Rescue Jacket! Very grateful to the good folks at PhantomRain for their guidance in my time of need.

Here are some still frames from the video I shot of the creek right in front of our cabin where the MA2 went under and another flight I took over Bear Rocks adjacent to (not within) the Dolly Sods Wilderness near Seneca Rocks, WV. Such worthy locations to fly AND swim!

Attachments

• HARMANS-CABINS_1.1.2.jpg
    HARMANS-CABINS_1.1.2.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 14
  • BEAR-ROCKS_1.13.1.jpg
    BEAR-ROCKS_1.13.1.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • BEAR-ROCKS_1.9.4.jpg
    BEAR-ROCKS_1.9.4.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: MA2 317 and zeusfl