DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

6500 or 8500mah battery, both safe to use?

alexjo55

Reactions
I have seen some really good batteries and it was a bit choking to see how long a 6500mah battery will last.
Take a look here:

I saw there was a 8500mah battery also, but i wonder, are 6500 and 8500mah batteries safe to use?
Overheating or other problems maybe would be a problem?

I was about to buy it stright away but then i was thinking it was better to ask.
Would not be that happy if the drone bursted in flames when flying xD.

Depending on the extra weight... it's the ESC's that are at risk, not any general overheating. When the ESC's fail the drone comes down... fast.

Reactions: zeusfl
The lighter you go the better.

@alexjo55 the problem with using modified batteries, props ,or any other parts on a DJI drone ,is that they may well cause the airframe and its associated components ,to be subject to stresses outside of what they were designed to operate under ,of course that does not mean, you can't do such mods if you want ,but at the same time, you have to accept the outcome,if the drone is damaged due to there use

Reactions: Cafguy
The lighter you go the better.
But longer flight time means heavier drone, so its hard to chose and calculate the risk/reward between a 6500mah and a 8500mha.

If the risk was like 50% higher to damage the drone when using a 8500 mha battery i would chose the 6500 one.

I have seen some really good batteries and it was a bit choking to see how long a 6500mah battery will last.
Take a look here:

I saw there was a 8500mah battery also, but i wonder, are 6500 and 8500mah batteries safe to use?
Overheating or other problems maybe would be a problem?

I was about to buy it stright away but then i was thinking it was better to ask.
Would not be that happy if the drone bursted in flames when flying xD.
I used to get motor overload errors "land immediately", when flying with heavy loads. I got some other erros that told me to go home and or land immediately also, but I don't remember what they were. I gave up on over loading my aircraft with extra battery power or other heavy items because the errors worried me too much.

@alexjo55 the problem with using modified batteries, props ,or any other parts on a DJI drone ,is that they may well cause the airframe and its associated components ,to be subject to stresses outside of what they were designed to operate under ,of course that does not mean, you can't do such mods if you want ,but at the same time, you have to accept the outcome,if the drone is damaged due to there use
More weight = less Motor life.
If you won't mind purchasing new legs and soldering them on every few years or less then Go for it.
That Battery will also get warmer faster simply because of the added strain on your motors.
I don't think we are talking damage numbers like 50% but you will lessen the life of the "Cheaper" components.

Last edited:
When it comes to the mechanical parts on a drone, like props, arm joints & motors... they will of course see a higher continuous load, but in comparison to the increased electrical load from the higher amp draw... it's minimal.

The motor overload errors @StevenBrodsky talked about... originate from the ESC's & comes when the amp draw come close to what they are specified for.

So it will likely be the electrical system that fails first...

I tried experimenting with (DIY) higher-capacity batteries on my MA2...and (long story short) the additional weight negates much of whatever capacity you can add. I piggy-backed mine with an external XT60 connector.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman