DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

80W, wow wow wow!

Finances have enabled the purchase of an Air 3, and it arrived yesterday. I was simply blown away when the charging hub started drawing over 80 watts from my charger.

Way to go, DJI!!
Congrats, I think I know the answer to this already but you're not afraid there is an Air 3S or Air 4 right on the horizon? I mean, all these rumors..... :p

Not worried about a 3S.

I find the image quality of the Mini 4P to be excellent, more than adequate for my amateur needs. What I've seen of the reviews of the A3 (just took my first flight moments ago) the same sensor with a better image pipeline is outstanding.

So, I'm not likely interested in an A3S with simply a bigger sensor.

Yes, the Air 3 charging hub can charge the Air 3 batteries at up to 100W using USB-C PD at 20V 5A, provided the chosen charging brick can support those power levels.

Despite the high power, the charging rate for those high capacity batteries is only a little over 1C so it is not considered fast charging and will not negatively affect the batteries.

Yes, the Air 3 charging hub can charge the Air 3 batteries at up to 100W using USB-C PD at 20V 5A, provided the chosen charging brick can support those power levels.

Despite the high power, the charging rate for those high capacity batteries is only a little over 1C so it is not considered fast charging and will not negatively affect the batteries.
If using the 3 battery storage/charging box or charging the battery in the drone, isn't the charge limited to 30w regardless of the charger output?

If using the 3 battery storage/charging box or charging the battery in the drone, isn't the charge limited to 30w regardless of the charger output?
No sir. According to the user manual (and my experiments), when charging a battery using the Air 3 charging hub, the max power is 100W and it charges the batteries one at a time until all three are fully charged.
When charging a battery directly inside the Air 3 drone, the maximum charging power is 65W.

DJI even has charge times published, claiming a charge time of 60 minutes when charging in the hub at 100W and 80 minutes when charging inside the drone at 65W.

At 30W, each Air 3 battery would take about three hours to go from 20% to 100%. So charging all three batteries would take 9-10 hours.

You may be confusing the Air 3 specs with the Mini 4 Pro specs, which does have a maximum charge rate of 30W when using the hub, and takes 58 minutes to fully charge each battery.
Charging in the Mini 4 Pro drone is even slower, taking 70 minutes to fully charge a battery so I imagine max power when charging with the drone is around 24W.

The lower rating may be due to the fact that Mini 4 Pro batteries have two cells whereas Air 3 batteries have 4 cells.

Last edited:
No sir. According to the user manual (and my experiments), when charging a battery using the Air 3 charging hub, the max power is 100W and it charges the batteries one at a time until all three are fully charged.
When charging a battery directly inside the Air 3 drone, the maximum charging power is 65W.

DJI even has charge times published, claiming a charge time of 60 minutes when charging in the hub at 100W and 80 minutes when charging inside the drone at 65W.

At 30W, each Air 3 battery would take about three hours to go from 20% to 100%. So charging all three batteries would take 9-10 hours.

You may be confusing the Air 3 specs with the Mini 4 Pro specs, which does have a maximum charge rate of 30W when using the hub, and takes 58 minutes to fully charge each battery.
Charging in the Mini 4 Pro drone is even slower, taking 70 minutes to fully charge a battery so I imagine max power when charging with the drone is around 24W.

The lower rating may be due to the fact that Mini 4 Pro batteries have two cells whereas Air 3 batteries have 4 cells.
Ah - you are correct, was thinking in terms of the Mini Pro 4!

That explains the 96W reading I had yesterday 😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nenad