DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A “Just get it back home!” training flight today

I practiced that on the flight sim. It’s a good technique. I had my phone cut off because of cold weather. I used my RTH button to bring the Mavic back. Such a relief when things work as they should.

Very good practical advise. It seems common sense and simple, but most won't think of this in a panic situation when something goes wrong. I too first practiced this in simulation mode and then out in the field. I don't agree with the poster about flying it home sideways. It is way slower and less efficient on the battery that way, so may not work when there is little battery left and your Mavic is so far out. It takes only a few seconds to yaw it in the right direction so you can fly it back facing forward, and if you are continuing to film, you'll get the benefit of having additional forward footage on the way back.

.... and forward obstacle avoidance.

good point, but for me personally that's not an issue, I try to fly higher than any obstacle in the area, so between 100 - 150 feet, just to be higher than any tree, with some being up to about 70 feet around here. If I were ever to lose video transmission, I'd make sure to get it up to 150 feet to manually return home.

Many many ways to get better at bringing back your coptor. Practice all the scenarios. Definately learn how to bring it back without the app.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+