DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A bit disgruntled...

Cyber3xpert

Reactions
I was new to DJI two years ago but quickly realized their drones were superior in almost every way. I had had an accident with a Tello drone and decided to get something more reliable and stable in more ways than one. The only DJI drone I could afford at the time was their entry-level drone, the Spark, so I bought it as a big upgrade from the Tello. That drone was a little tank through thick and thin; took a few crashes, but it kept right on flyin'.

When I saw that DJI discontinued the Spark I was pretty disappointed until they released the Mavic Mini as their new "newbie drone." I was excited until I saw all the problems the users were having with the Mini, such as the uncommanded descent issue. There was an alarming number of threads on this forum about lost Mini's and crashed Mini's and bizarre issues. I decided there were too many bugs and glitches with the Mini to "upgrade," so I just left it alone. Now DJI's released another entry-level drone, I guess to replace the Spark. I'm a hardcore Spark believer, even though I have the Mavic Pro; I'm just disappointed that DJI would discontinue something as all-around awesome as the Spark and replace it with something lighter and more buggy and more likely to break and with so many fewer features. Yes, the Spark is a bit primitive compared to what's out there, but still, it's a great little drone.

Ok, I've had my rant; you all can agree or disagree, this is just my point of view. But I invite you to share your views too!

Reactions: Thomas B and lannes
Technology advances. No one continues to make products that is has been upgraded.

As far as issues, DJI definitely has the most. But that's because they have the most units out there. And it's rare that people post about good things, they seem to always want to complain.

Issues are almost always overreactions and/or pilot error.

Last edited:
Reactions: navegabem
New Mini 2 Vs Spark? Really?? No comparison, the mini is in league with Mavic Air and Pro now with occusync 2, 4K video and better wind capability. Why would you spend that kind of money on a Rugged but less sophisticated drone?

I was new to DJI two years ago but quickly realized their drones were superior in almost every way. I had had an accident with a Tello drone and decided to get something more reliable and stable in more ways than one. The only DJI drone I could afford at the time was their entry-level drone, the Spark, so I bought it as a big upgrade from the Tello. That drone was a little tank through thick and thin; took a few crashes, but it kept right on flyin'.

When I saw that DJI discontinued the Spark I was pretty disappointed until they released the Mavic Mini as their new "newbie drone." I was excited until I saw all the problems the users were having with the Mini, such as the uncommanded descent issue. There was an alarming number of threads on this forum about lost Mini's and crashed Mini's and bizarre issues. I decided there were too many bugs and glitches with the Mini to "upgrade," so I just left it alone. Now DJI's released another entry-level drone, I guess to replace the Spark. I'm a hardcore Spark believer, even though I have the Mavic Pro; I'm just disappointed that DJI would discontinue something as all-around awesome as the Spark and replace it with something lighter and more buggy and more likely to break and with so many fewer features. Yes, the Spark is a bit primitive compared to what's out there, but still, it's a great little drone.

Ok, I've had my rant; you all can agree or disagree, this is just my point of view. But I invite you to share your views too!
To a certain degree, I think that there area number of us who feel the same way about the P4 product line, which DJI has all but abandoned to pursue Mavic related products.

I still occasionally fly one of my two P4s. They are a reliable drone that handles wind well, and takes great pictures and video.

Some of us are still hoping for a "P5", but I am not holding my breath.

There have just been too many advances since the Spark ..which was absolutely amazing at its time of release and still is an amazing drone. Sorry, your going to have to put me in the don't agree box. :cool: I complain about a company that releases a new product that actually is new instead of the same old thing with new paint job.

I get your point but I think the main reason is because of the new regulation, and so that <250g weight becomes important. I wish the 250g wasn't a thing, then we'd see a more durable and premium feeling mini.

I can understand you are disgruntled......what it would take for you to become gruntled again?

Reactions: GarthH
I have the MM. I haven't had any issues at all. All these things you read you have to take with a grain of salt. You have a lot of first time flyers with entry level drones so you have a lot of inexperienced flyers. I couldn't recommend the MM highly enough. This new one improves on everything from the original. I am getting a MA2 though, even with all these new features I need something bigger than the new mini 2. But in your case I wouldn't hesitate if you are on the fence about buying one. They are brilliant little drones. I'm still keeping mine, I really do enjoy flying that thing.

I have the MM1 and flew it yesterday in wind gusts that should have given me problems but flew just fine. I saw a bit of a sideways slip in a crosswind gust, but that was within GPS tolerances. I'm careful about how I store it in my FMC case so that the blades aren't bent.

To a certain degree, I think that there area number of us who feel the same way about the P4 product line, which DJI has all but abandoned to pursue Mavic related products.

I still occasionally fly one of my two P4s. They are a reliable drone that handles wind well, and takes great pictures and video.

Some of us are still hoping for a "P5", but I am not holding my breath.
No kidding - there's no stronger flyer than a P4.

I also still have my Spark... perfect working order. Still
Love the ability to control it with hand signals... great at family outings so everyone gets in the pic!

Reactions: Cyber3xpert
I have the MM. I haven't had any issues at all. All these things you read you have to take with a grain of salt. You have a lot of first time flyers with entry level drones so you have a lot of inexperienced flyers. I couldn't recommend the MM highly enough. This new one improves on everything from the original. I am getting a MA2 though, even with all these new features I need something bigger than the new mini 2. But in your case I wouldn't hesitate if you are on the fence about buying one. They are brilliant little drones. I'm still keeping mine, I really do enjoy flying that thing.
Cant say I have ever had a problem with my Mini 1 that wasnt pilot error or misjudgement. My first one took quite a few heavy crashes before it finally threw in the towel.My replacement Mini 1 is a great little drone that I fly almost everyday. Upgrading to the M2 pro xmas day only because the drone bug has bitten me. Will still carry the M1 on my walks for the "opportunity" shots

I can understand you are disgruntled......what it would take for you to become gruntled again?
I honestly don't know. Maybe an ultimate DJI drone that combines all the features of previous drones all into one package? I guess this was just a thing for me to reminisce about..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13