DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A crazy lady smashed my drone

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, folks I've learned my lesson tonight. I know I screwed up, by one flying my drone in front of my house and 2 by trusting
someones intent. I'm sure you all will let me have it. After a short flight today in a secluded area I only used a half battery. After dinner I decided to use the rest of the battery to try a couple of the special flight modes right in front of my house. Everyone that walked by thought it was cool and very interested in how it worked. I was just finishing up when a neighbor ran out in the street videoing with her phone. She seemed really interested so I lowered it down at her level so she could get a better look. when she approached it I flew straight up 15 ft out of reach and she said that was cool, "come here". I brought it down again and told her not to approach it. Videoing the whole time with her cellphone. She walked up to it again and without warning did an overhand chop to the drone and sent it to the pavement. I ask her why in the world did you do that?! She claimed I was flying in her backyard ( which I wasn't the video shows I never left the front of the house). She claimed I assaulted her and was calling the cops. I waited. The police showed up and I explained what happen and showed him the video and the damage to the drone. He said she claims I assaulted her and took her phone and smashed it and told her she was next. Boy that couldn't be further then the truth. I feel horrible. There were no signs she was upset and went off without any warning. She did get a cut on her hand which I'm not surprised. Just before she smashed it I warned her about the props and not to get any closer. It was right then she lunged forward and chopped it. The drone received a few dings and a dent to the ND filter. At first the camera wouldn't center up but after some resets I think its going to work but not sure if it really damaged. Not going to fly it again especially around here. The cop seemed to understand how the drone worked and the obstacle avoidance worked and what he saw on the video was as stated. He said he was going to go back and speak with the folks and might come back to speak with me but he didn't come back. Hoping that's the end of it. Sorry guys I screwed up. Don't trust anyone's intent even if they seem genuinely interested in drones. No more demonstrations for me. I just can believe what the crap happened. never in my wildest dream would I thought she would have been so deceiving and me stupid.

So you had proof that you were not in her yard, and she had no proof you assaulted her.

I would have to work really hard to lose that argument. Teach her a lesson. Make her pay for the drone damage. Be an ambassador for the drone community. OR....let her smash the next drone and maybe THAT guy will teach her a lesson.

D

Reactions: umanbean
Under FAA a UAS ( drone ) is consider an aircraft , so technically I you soot it , hit it or take it down in any way is exactly the same than take down an airplane , so it’s a federal felony.
What would be the felony?

found the files I needed. Its very cool and reassuring that this data is available. The drone did go higher then I thought but it aways stayed in the front of the houses and never near hers. The drone was 0.0 MPH for a while at 4.3 ft before it abruptly terminated.

In those files if you view it on the DJI site you can see the exact GPS coordinates of everywhere you flew, altitude, speed, yaw, pitch , earth view...everything!!! (it may even have pics). Good luck in your endeavor.
Go here to upload - DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Reactions: bioman748
Buddy that's really not cool. If she's a neighbour, have you had any dealings with her in the past?
I don't know about laws where you are, but surely the police would have asked to see any footage, and at the least made a judgement call for her to pay for repair/replace of your drone? Assuming her mobile was recording of course.

Lesson learnt though, gotta have cool neighbours if you're gonna fly at home

One unanswered questions. She claims you broke her phone? Obviously you didn't, but she may break it and blame it on you. Which begs the question: Why would she give you her cell phone? She'll likely reply you snatched it from her. The video she took could only help you no)t hurt. But how can you snatch her phone while flying the drone? (Yes I know you could've just let it hover while you grabbed it, but not sure how many people know that's even possible) So just say you were focused on flying your drone entire time and didn't have a chance to snatch her phone.

And definitely get the flight data as other have suggested, but try not let her know that since it could expose her as a liar. As mentioned above she has the marks on her hand to show she knocked it out of the air.

If you get your ducks in a row you can turn it on her and she'll be the one on the wrong end of the law.

The ONLY thing I could possibly think of is you said it shot up over her head due to avoidance sensors. And where I fly you cannot fly over people. So maybe keep that into consideration. For example, you weren't flying OVER her but to the side and she took a step or two to get close and knock it down.

well, folks I've learned my lesson tonight. I know I screwed up, by one flying my drone in front of my house and 2 by trusting
someones intent. I'm sure you all will let me have it. After a short flight today in a secluded area I only used a half battery. After dinner I decided to use the rest of the battery to try a couple of the special flight modes right in front of my house. Everyone that walked by thought it was cool and very interested in how it worked. I was just finishing up when a neighbor ran out in the street videoing with her phone. She seemed really interested so I lowered it down at her level so she could get a better look. when she approached it I flew straight up 15 ft out of reach and she said that was cool, "come here". I brought it down again and told her not to approach it. Videoing the whole time with her cellphone. She walked up to it again and without warning did an overhand chop to the drone and sent it to the pavement. I ask her why in the world did you do that?! She claimed I was flying in her backyard ( which I wasn't the video shows I never left the front of the house). She claimed I assaulted her and was calling the cops. I waited. The police showed up and I explained what happen and showed him the video and the damage to the drone. He said she claims I assaulted her and took her phone and smashed it and told her she was next. Boy that couldn't be further then the truth. I feel horrible. There were no signs she was upset and went off without any warning. She did get a cut on her hand which I'm not surprised. Just before she smashed it I warned her about the props and not to get any closer. It was right then she lunged forward and chopped it. The drone received a few dings and a dent to the ND filter. At first the camera wouldn't center up but after some resets I think its going to work but not sure if it really damaged. Not going to fly it again especially around here. The cop seemed to understand how the drone worked and the obstacle avoidance worked and what he saw on the video was as stated. He said he was going to go back and speak with the folks and might come back to speak with me but he didn't come back. Hoping that's the end of it. Sorry guys I screwed up. Don't trust anyone's intent even if they seem genuinely interested in drones. No more demonstrations for me. I just can believe what the crap happened. never in my wildest dream would I thought she would have been so deceiving and me stupid.
don't apologize, you didn't do anything wrong

Any one know a good repair guy for a Mavic 2 zoom. The camera gimbal mount is broken and the camera will not move from the down position. It moves when intializing but goes into the down position and that's that.

Any one know a good repair guy for a Mavic 2 zoom. The camera gimbal mount is broken and the camera will not move from the down position. It moves when intializing but goes into the down position and that's that.
At the very least, three words: “small claims court”! She has no defense, you will win. Sue her for the total replacement value
ETA: Assuming you are in the US

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
No sir what you insinuated was worse, based on his low post count you called him untrustworthy.

I would say the OP has taken the advice of a few here and is documenting the incident and redrawing from posting on a thread of "if that happened to me" suggestions. He didn't post for ~9months and then chose to share an experience and a few stoned him, we won't hear from him for awhile.

OP thanks for sharing and I have gained from your unfortunate encounter, Thank You
Wow, If I known The thread would have taken this kind of twist I wouldn't have said anything at all. Thanks to those who offered constructive advice. I made my report and documented the event with all the files from the drone as suggested. I haven't the words to say for those who think it was a crock... well maybe one... disappointed. I come to this forum to learn about a new hobby which I enjoyed up to now and hope to as soon as I can get my drone repaired. I don't need to make "click bait" on any forum. You won't hear from me unless I need some solid advice or can give some if I ever get enough experience. Thanks

Crazy people look like you and me...and they can appear to be completely rational until they flip a switch.
I've had that happen to me before, not with flying a drone but just in everyday life. Really catches you off-guard... one minute you don't see it coming, next minute someone goes ballistic

Reactions: Shon
in terms of avoiding people the best time is dawn , not evening ....
Agree 100%... I'm an early riser just for that reason, many people lay around in bed even after they wake, and miss the best part of the day. Which of course is even better for me. I was social distancing way before it was cool. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: timinator
Good post!

I hate to say it, but I think there is something deeply disturbing about her actions. TO falsely claim you assaulted her - when it was apparently obvious that you had recorded the entire engagement - well, lit just sounds like she is a little bit sick and in need of some kind of help. I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to see if you can talk with other family members (A husband maybe?) but then, the potential for that going sideways is probably too great. I am somewhat new to flying and I want to thank you for sharing your story - will try to remember to stay away from people who might suddenly go "off" on me.

Best of luck my friend.

He had joined the forum on June 23rd of last year, he is not a "new member", many people join to read and learn not to be heard unless they have something to add or help. Don't let a low post count confuse about one's knowledge or trustworthiness.
Nod, I agree low post count is nothing to judge on. However, one question that lingers in my mind, is how did she hit the drone, mine does a good job of running away from me when I get to close to it.

Wow, If I known The thread would have taken this kind of twist I wouldn't have said anything at all. Thanks to those who offered constructive advice. I made my report and documented the event with all the files from the drone as suggested. I haven't the words to say for those who think it was a crock... well maybe one... disappointed. I come to this forum to learn about a new hobby which I enjoyed up to now and hope to as soon as I can get my drone repaired. I don't need to make "click bait" on any forum. You won't hear from me unless I need some solid advice or can give some if I ever get enough experience. Thanks
Do not let the few sour your experience here. I have noticed some tend to be well "snarky" were others are most helpful. Please understand that I am sure a site like this does attract well, "others" who cause trouble. For many people here, posting logs or it did not happen is an real thing.

I'm running out of popcorn hope this sage ends soon :p :rolleyes::p
It does now. (See post 89) He’s out so no need in all this chatter,.

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov