DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A crazy lady smashed my drone

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the felony?

i assume interfering with an aircraft while navigating US airspace and causing it to crash. The PIC should report the incident to the FAA and file a police report.

He could also take her to small claims court and sue her for damages to his drone (damaged ND filter, dinged up drone, DJI repair costs, etc.).

The woman may be crazy, but that’s not a get out of jail free card.

if he had been flying under Part 107 and she needed a doctor for her self-inflicted injury, he would be required to report the incident to the FAA.

Reactions: umanbean
Well,
What would be the felony?
I know if you steal something over 500 bucks its a felony so maybe if you destroy someones property over a certain value (probably 500 bucks) it's considered a felony too. Keep in mind, in some counties it's a felony to J Walk. The Zoom 2 is pretty pricy so no doubt you are in the ballpark. Women like her are anathema to society and need their boat rocked out of their safety zone. Pursue legal action. If a lawyer takes your case that means you probably will win. This lady is clearly special and needs special wakeup call.....

Well I wouldn’t fly it anywhere that had houses in the vicinity due mainly to the potential issue of being accused of spying .... in terms of people being around Wherever you go yep that’s an issue too...

no idea why you brought the drone down so low to show her .. I only bring it that low when landing ....

in terms of avoiding people the best time is dawn , not evening .... fwiw during the lockdown I have been flying off my balcony directly out over the beach which for me is about 50 yards away and nobody in between but only at sunrise and when returning back home I come back in backwards so my neighbours can’t accuse me of filming them or their property ...

I have my part 107. When I fly I have cones out around my launch area. I wear a high vis. Licensed FAA drone pilot Do Not Disturb vest. If someone approaches I turn my back for a moment so they can read the vest. Some might say it's overkill but it works. Cones and a vest are cheap compared to any confrontation. Even if just used in an area where there are people. My Dad (a career Airline Pilot) always said "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with ********".

well, folks I've learned my lesson tonight. I know I screwed up, by one flying my drone in front of my house and 2 by trusting
someones intent. I'm sure you all will let me have it. After a short flight today in a secluded area I only used a half battery. After dinner I decided to use the rest of the battery to try a couple of the special flight modes right in front of my house. Everyone that walked by thought it was cool and very interested in how it worked. I was just finishing up when a neighbor ran out in the street videoing with her phone. She seemed really interested so I lowered it down at her level so she could get a better look. when she approached it I flew straight up 15 ft out of reach and she said that was cool, "come here". I brought it down again and told her not to approach it. Videoing the whole time with her cellphone. She walked up to it again and without warning did an overhand chop to the drone and sent it to the pavement. I ask her why in the world did you do that?! She claimed I was flying in her backyard ( which I wasn't the video shows I never left the front of the house). She claimed I assaulted her and was calling the cops. I waited. The police showed up and I explained what happen and showed him the video and the damage to the drone. He said she claims I assaulted her and took her phone and smashed it and told her she was next. Boy that couldn't be further then the truth. I feel horrible. There were no signs she was upset and went off without any warning. She did get a cut on her hand which I'm not surprised. Just before she smashed it I warned her about the props and not to get any closer. It was right then she lunged forward and chopped it. The drone received a few dings and a dent to the ND filter. At first the camera wouldn't center up but after some resets I think its going to work but not sure if it really damaged. Not going to fly it again especially around here. The cop seemed to understand how the drone worked and the obstacle avoidance worked and what he saw on the video was as stated. He said he was going to go back and speak with the folks and might come back to speak with me but he didn't come back. Hoping that's the end of it. Sorry guys I screwed up. Don't trust anyone's intent even if they seem genuinely interested in drones. No more demonstrations for me. I just can believe what the crap happened. never in my wildest dream would I thought she would have been so deceiving and me stupid.

You either should go out thinking the area is hostile and take ways to not get detected or if you are encountering people who care that you have methods ready. Not just fly it like everything is casual and safe. You can still think it's safe but don't be so ignorant. Hopefully it was the Mini and not Mavic 2?

We can assume secluded areas are filled with crazy people. Look at what goes on all the time in Colorado.

Heya mate, that's a terrible way to come to the forum, but welcome.
Very bad encounter, and I don't think on the story you posted it is your fault (entirely).

Without knowing where you are, it's possible some drone rules may have been broken, but that's a poor excuse for someone to be so spiteful (not to mention plain stupid) to smash your drone like that.
I initially thought it must have been a mini, but you mentioned OA ???? She'd be really crazy to try that with a larger drone.

Some people are just sad sacks, and think it's all about them.
Hopefully you've met your one time encounter with such a nut job, and your future will be carefree.

Personally, I would pursue it and file crimal damage charge against her.
1. You have the video proof you weren't flying over her property.
2. She has cut hand showing she did contact your drone as you say.
3. She has phone footage / recording, and this could prove you didn't attack her, and she was totally out of line . . .

Now the big ? is, did the police officer see his, hopefully get a copy ?
She may have selectively turned it off after confronting you, and not videoed the confrontation and aftermath.

The it becomes he said / she said, but I feel her story could be found inconsistent with some facts on record etc.

The worst is when they both go to court with someone who has the coronavirus and gets hospitalized and worse because of it.

@bioman748 ya did no wrong. I'd consider putting a little worry in her behavior with filing a police report and a small claim on damage to M2Z. Any logs and video would be helpful, although you've got the LEO's case file and it has no action against you... that in itself makes your case.

Flying in your yard, even over neighborhood if not in a NFZ is perfectly acceptable & legal. Don't agitate your neighbors, fly over kids or gatherings and don't try to get the Mrs Kravitz's worked up by getting too low over their property. If you're well above roof tops, you're not trespassing.

I fly anything from Mavic Mini all the way up to a Matrice 600Pro hanging an Ronin & FF camera in my driveway and up the street at 125-200' when I've testing or verifying some component. When I burn off battery packs for an Inspire 2 or M210; I may fly a tight circle around my home or hover it at driveway apron.

If someone comes close, I take it up, move away from driveway and over to my small "postage stamp" side yard in case I need to land it. I normally tell them to stand back until it's landed & off.

Be sociable, answer questions... and neighborly... but remain clear it's not a toy for them to touch.... until you know them and feel comfortable.

With a Spark or Mavic Air, I'll let the neighborhood kids experience flying. I'll let them take control of RC and fly. After 8 yrs, never one instance and they all treat the experience with excitement and appreciation. That has also maintained a positive relationship with the parents, feeling the "Drone Guy" isn't any neighborhood threat.

But that all said, I do have 2 neighbors... several homes away that dispise my activity and enjoy displaying a 1 finger salute or bark a few treasured comments as they drive by... I just smile & wave! They've called the LEO's in years past and have learned there isn't a case to be made... so now just grumpy neighbors.

Enjoy your sport, practice and present yourself as not a threat but also pursue your activity within the legal limits.

I'd agree on a driveway camera too. Throw up a few Arlo's and capture movement when you're in drive and when you're not in driveway. It's cheap insurance & factual.

I've seen folks go "postal" over drones. If someone is already paranoid...it just amplifies their paranoia. They are sure you are videotaping them... The problem is....you don't know who the nut is going to be. Crazy people look like you and me...and they can appear to be completely rational until they flip a switch.
Truer words were never spoken lol.... It's all fun and games til the crazy neighbor lady comes marching out next time with a 12 gauge full of buckshot

Reactions: Shon
I would have open hand ***** slap her to the ground, lesson learned never fly anywhere close to poeple

Then the police would likely have detained you for assault and battery. Just stay away from crazies.

As I am reading the responses and seeing the commotion it created I am beginning to believe this the original post was a clickbait and some one is getting a good laugh out of this.

Reactions: Rayray
I would have open hand ***** slap her to the ground, lesson learned never fly anywhere close to poeple
I was thinking the exact same thing but I think it would have been more reflex than anything. My bird has become like a part of me and for someone to just destroy it like that for no good reason would have absolutely warranted a drastic response. I wouldnt have a problem sitting my *** in lockup for an hour or two til the wife can get down there to bail my dumbass out.

Wow! Why is it that we have no lifeguards at the gene pool telling certain ones "you, get out now!" :)
We had a method but all the warning labels on every device we can possibly buy, rent, ride or use is keeping them in the pool rather than letting nature take it's course.

It's crazy how you can get
As I am reading the responses and seeing the commotion it created I am beginning to believe this the original post was a clickbait and some one is getting a good laugh out of this.
People thought corona was a joke too.

He had joined the forum on June 23rd of last year, he is not a "new member", many people join to read and learn not to be heard unless they have something to add or help. Don't let a low post count confuse about one's knowledge or trustworthiness.

Did not say he was a new member, and indeed it's a great story. Let's see how it goes after a few months...
Stay safe, folks.

Reactions: Romonaga
No sir what you insinuated was worse, based on his low post count you called him untrustworthy.

I would say the OP has taken the advice of a few here and is documenting the incident and redrawing from posting on a thread of "if that happened to me" suggestions. He didn't post for ~9months and then chose to share an experience and a few stoned him, we won't hear from him for awhile.

OP thanks for sharing and I have gained from your unfortunate encounter, Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato