Join Us Now

A crazy lady smashed my drone

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the felony?

Under US law a sUAS is technically defined as an aircraft, and so:

18 U.S. Code § 32. Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities​
(a) Whoever willfully—​
(1) sets fire to, damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated, or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce;​

(a) Whoever willfully—​
(1) sets fire to, damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated, or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce;​
Thanks I'm adding it to my report.

Sounds like your typical crazy paranoid housewife to me.

I had an experience with one many years ago. I was looking at a house I was thinking about buying, and taking a few photos of it. I was parked at the side of the road, on the phone with the real estate agent that was selling it. One of the neighbor ladies came outside to my car, knocked very hard on my window (thought she was going to break me window) she started filming me with her cell phone, said I can't be parked on the side of the road, threatened to call the police on me and have me arrested. ? Said "she knows the police" and that I am in "big trouble".

I told her to (deleted by moderator) and got very angry with her, and she left me alone and went back in her home , I don't think she expected that reaction from me. Police never showed up, big suprise.

Needless to say I did not end up buying that house. I did not want that crazy bat as my neighbor. Good luck to whoever bought it.

Sounds like the OP bought it!

How about posting the drone video? Sounds like quite a dramatic confrontation. I’ve always been a skeptical person. As I often read on other forums “pictures or it didn’t happen”. :)

Sue her before she sues you.

I’d be cautious about posting details if any legal issues are pending.
If it all blows over in a month or so I might update with video and flight report. It just upsets me that someone could be so crazy. Just would have to had said anything about where I was flying and I would have stopped and explained it, shown the video and wouldn't fly there again, simple as that.

Heya mate, that's a terrible way to come to the forum, but welcome.
Very bad encounter, and I don't think on the story you posted it is your fault (entirely).

Without knowing where you are, it's possible some drone rules may have been broken, but that's a poor excuse for someone to be so spiteful (not to mention plain stupid) to smash your drone like that.
I initially thought it must have been a mini, but you mentioned OA ???? She'd be really crazy to try that with a larger drone.

Some people are just sad sacks, and think it's all about them.
Hopefully you've met your one time encounter with such a nut job, and your future will be carefree.

Personally, I would pursue it and file crimal damage charge against her.
1. You have the video proof you weren't flying over her property.
2. She has cut hand showing she did contact your drone as you say.
3. She has phone footage / recording, and this could prove you didn't attack her, and she was totally out of line . . .

Now the big ? is, did the police officer see his, hopefully get a copy ?
She may have selectively turned it off after confronting you, and not videoed the confrontation and aftermath.

The it becomes he said / she said, but I feel her story could be found inconsistent with some facts on record etc.
This is the USA and we are full of hungry lawyers, so sue here A...off!

• Haha
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
well, folks I've learned my lesson tonight. I know I screwed up, by one flying my drone in front of my house and 2 by trusting
someones intent. I'm sure you all will let me have it. After a short flight today in a secluded area I only used a half battery. After dinner I decided to use the rest of the battery to try a couple of the special flight modes right in front of my house. Everyone that walked by thought it was cool and very interested in how it worked. I was just finishing up when a neighbor ran out in the street videoing with her phone. She seemed really interested so I lowered it down at her level so she could get a better look. when she approached it I flew straight up 15 ft out of reach and she said that was cool, "come here". I brought it down again and told her not to approach it. Videoing the whole time with her cellphone. She walked up to it again and without warning did an overhand chop to the drone and sent it to the pavement. I ask her why in the world did you do that?! She claimed I was flying in her backyard ( which I wasn't the video shows I never left the front of the house). She claimed I assaulted her and was calling the cops. I waited. The police showed up and I explained what happen and showed him the video and the damage to the drone. He said she claims I assaulted her and took her phone and smashed it and told her she was next. Boy that couldn't be further then the truth. I feel horrible. There were no signs she was upset and went off without any warning. She did get a cut on her hand which I'm not surprised. Just before she smashed it I warned her about the props and not to get any closer. It was right then she lunged forward and chopped it. The drone received a few dings and a dent to the ND filter. At first the camera wouldn't center up but after some resets I think its going to work but not sure if it really damaged. Not going to fly it again especially around here. The cop seemed to understand how the drone worked and the obstacle avoidance worked and what he saw on the video was as stated. He said he was going to go back and speak with the folks and might come back to speak with me but he didn't come back. Hoping that's the end of it. Sorry guys I screwed up. Don't trust anyone's intent even if they seem genuinely interested in drones. No more demonstrations for me. I just can believe what the crap happened. never in my wildest dream would I thought she would have been so deceiving and me stupid.
Did they charge her with vandalism?. I'd go after her for that and hold her accountable to her actions.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The real lesson here should be to not fly near people. For information, in Canada, the regulations prohibit flying within 30 meters(100 feetish) of people, or over people if you have your basic certification. If you have your advanced certification you can fly up to 5 meters (15 feetish), and under certain authorizations, over people.... and this can only be done with a RPAS(sUAS) that is also certified to fly close to people. The Mavic air, pro, and pro2 are certified to fly within the 5 meters if you have your advanced certification.

Regardless of regulations, flying close to people, idiots or not, is just not a good idea and could put you in legal problems. We were told by a MAAC (AMA equivalent) official recently of a case recently where a pilot flew close to some people walking their dog and the drone hit the dog causing eye damage. Last I heard it was in the court process as the pilot was being sued for damages. Don't know if charges were laid. Yeah, just fly away from people and animals.

(a) Whoever willfully—​

Technically, yes, but unfortunately the courts in America have no desire to uphold the law.

See:

Reactions: SFC117
found a log file but haven't found a txt file
found the files I needed. Its very cool and reassuring that this data is available. The drone did go higher then I thought but it aways stayed in the front of the houses and never near hers. The drone was 0.0 MPH for a while at 4.3 ft before it abruptly terminated.

Good work, but as posted above by Thomas B, I wouldn't post it here, just save it for when you may need it pending taking it further.

I agree, I'd report it to the FAA, and pursue damages charges against her . . . frankly I'd want to be sure that drone is flying 100% again, an M2P is no cheap toy, and you want it perfect again as it was before crazy lady kung fu'd it from the sky.

For information, in Canada, the regulations prohibit flying within 30 meters(100 feetish) of people,

Same here in Oz . . . but this is the US, where hobbyists don't have a lateral distance rule, they just can't fly directly above a person(s) which is really silly (seeing as aircraft are more often moving, has inertia, or can veer off in the event of flight problems etc), but that's how it is legally there.

Heya mate, that's a terrible way to come to the forum, but welcome.
Very bad encounter, and I don't think on the story you posted it is your fault (entirely).

Without knowing where you are, it's possible some drone rules may have been broken, but that's a poor excuse for someone to be so spiteful (not to mention plain stupid) to smash your drone like that.
I initially thought it must have been a mini, but you mentioned OA ???? She'd be really crazy to try that with a larger drone.

Some people are just sad sacks, and think it's all about them.
Hopefully you've met your one time encounter with such a nut job, and your future will be carefree.

Personally, I would pursue it and file crimal damage charge against her.
1. You have the video proof you weren't flying over her property.
2. She has cut hand showing she did contact your drone as you say.
3. She has phone footage / recording, and this could prove you didn't attack her, and she was totally out of line . . .

Now the big ? is, did the police officer see his, hopefully get a copy ?
She may have selectively turned it off after confronting you, and not videoed the confrontation and aftermath.

The it becomes he said / she said, but I feel her story could be found inconsistent with some facts on record etc.

Take the vid and put it on You Tube.. Label it "Idiot woman attacks drone".. Then, go to civil court and roast her ***...
Sure you won't become life long friends but that wasn't in the cards anyway....

There is no doubt that this head case is not done... She will come after you with everything she can whenever she can... The old adage remains "you can't fix stupid".....

Reactions: OurAngryBadger
I’d be cautious about posting details if any legal issues are pending.

He could post a 5 or 10 second clip of the video and blur out the "suspects" face. This is the internet and one has to take with a VERY large grain of salt what your read that isn't documented. ;) No matter what, it's a good story bro' !

Reactions: Rayray
I’m glad I own 50 acres and can fly without any confrontations except with Whitetail deer and our horse. I really sorry for the metro living folks.
intelligent people can live in close proximity (Metro) however ....... hehehe hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_