DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A few Mavic photos

anybody has some tips for getting a clear view of both ground and sky in one photo

Either take two photos and blend together, or use a graduated neutral density filter. A GND filter is basically like the tinted strip along the top of your car's windshield, but for a camera lens. That's pretty much it. With a more capable camera, you can often do more with the raw data, but the Mavic camera is pretty much "what you see is what you get."

Reactions: No1much
Beautiful pictures!

Here's one of the best I've done from my first flight experimenting with the camera. Took this HDR photo at -0.7 EV, apparently. That seems to work well for sky-focused shots if I don't mind the ground being darkened quite a bit. 0 EV seems okay for just ground, with washed-out sky.View attachment 2907

If anybody has some tips for getting a clear view of both ground and sky in one photo, I'm keenly interested in your technique. I've seen photos like it online, and am aware there may be post-processing needed, but have yet to learn more about the specifics. Thank you in advance.
First of all you shoot in the DNG-format. It gives almost an extra stop of dynamic range.
The format is also much better for more extreme editing like lightening up the deep shadows of your foreground.

For this type of HDR subjects you need to make at least two exposures/images. One exposed for the sky and the other for the foreground.

Work with a decent editing-program like Lightroom or Photoshop.

I corrected your image in LR and it is the maximum I can get out of it.DJI_0038.JPG
LR-adjustments.png

Reactions: No1much
Beautiful pictures!

Here's one of the best I've done from my first flight experimenting with the camera. Took this HDR photo at -0.7 EV, apparently. That seems to work well for sky-focused shots if I don't mind the ground being darkened quite a bit. 0 EV seems okay for just ground, with washed-out sky.View attachment 2907

If anybody has some tips for getting a clear view of both ground and sky in one photo, I'm keenly interested in your technique. I've seen photos like it online, and am aware there may be post-processing needed, but have yet to learn more about the specifics. Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately this would even happen with larger sensors although too a lesser extent. For now there are no graduated filters available so all you can do is bring out the shadow details in lightroom or photoshop. You can use AEB to aid this and lessen the noise so it's worth experimenting. I would use AEB when the sun is quite harsh but generally one RAW is fine to use.

You can also use a histogram to aid your composition to help cut out clipping. Getting details from blown out highlights is almost impossible but shadow details are much easier to pull out and noise reduction can work wonders.

Thank you guys. I got myself Photomatix 5.1 and Lightroom, and will have fun experimenting with 3-shot AEB pictures in DNG format to see what I can do.

Lightroom cleaned that sunset photo up impressively.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661