DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro A few sunset shots from the North East

Nice shot but would be nicer if you open up the shadows in the foreground. If you want to see how that looks ask me.
Dale
Miami
Thanks for the input. It's always welcome. I totally understand your critique. I can push it a little more to see how it fares but as you bring up the shadows you also bring up the noise. Unfortunately, the drones (M2P) don't have a huge dynamic range and this isn't a bracketed shot but a single exposure.

I will play around with this a bit to see how much it will tolerate. I'm sure I used define 2 to reduce the noise but maybe not. I'll have to go back into LR/PS to check out the original. I usually try not to get the blowout of the sunset in there but sometimes you take what nature hands you and then you can shoot at lower speeds.

Edited image.jpgScreen Shot 2022-03-19 at 12.35.35 PM.png
Thanks for the input. It's always welcome. I totally understand your critique. I can push it a little more to see how it fares but as you bring up the shadows you also bring up the noise. Unfortunately, the drones (M2P) don't have a huge dynamic range and this isn't a bracketed shot but a single exposure.

I will play around with this a bit to see how much it will tolerate. I'm sure I used define 2 to reduce the noise but maybe not. I'll have to go back into LR/PS to check out the original. I usually try not to get the blowout of the sunset in there but sometimes you take what nature hands you and then you can shoot at lower speeds.
Jnnyr:

I took your image into Photoshop CC 2022 and used the new Adobe MASKING tool. It is magical! I was able to mask the trees and the water separately and edit each section separately. In the trees I opened the shadows, and increased the details. In the water I opened it some and increased the exposure a bit. I really left the sky alone. Above see the before edit and the after edit images. Which do you like better? The top image is the edited one. Click on the image to enlarge it.

Dale
Miami

View attachment 145486View attachment 145487

Jnnyr:

I took your image into Photoshop CC 2022 and used the new Adobe MASKING tool. It is magical! I was able to mask the trees and the water separately and edit each section separately. In the trees I opened the shadows, and increased the details. In the water I opened it some and increased the exposure a bit. I really left the sky alone. Above see the before edit and the after edit images. Which do you like better? The top image is the edited one. Click on the image to enlarge it.

Dale
Miami
I will try it today w/o masking. I haven't used the added masking feature yet. I know they just added it to LR as well. I like where you were going with the water however the issue I have with edits like this is they can be too extreme and unnatural. Foregrounds that are highlighted too much tend to look like HDR shots. Shadows aren't always a bad thing. Less distracting to the real focal point (clouds and reflection). I should send you the Raw file so you have greater control. Hard to work with a jpeg as most information is already gone.

I will try it today w/o masking. I haven't used the added masking feature yet. I know they just added it to LR as well. I like where you were going with the water however the issue I have with edits like this is they can be too extreme and unnatural. Foregrounds that are highlighted too much tend to look like HDR shots. Shadows aren't always a bad thing. Less distracting to the real focal point (clouds and reflection). I should send you the Raw file so you have greater control. Hard to work with a jpeg as most information is already gone.

In your original, the foreground suffers from the HDR (high dynamic range) that every single sunrise and sunset drome image suffers from. E.g.: the sensor reads the bright light and under-exposes the foreground. You can open the foreground with the shadows slider, but with this masking tool, you can selectively chose what to edit, including all of the sliders. You can spot edit the lake, etc. with the brush tool in Masking.

You should REALLY learn the new Adobe masking tool! I was afraid of it at first,. Now, I absolutely LOVE it and cannot see how I got along without it. The Masking tool is the exact same thing in Photoshop and Lightroom. Check out my favorite teacher, Colin Smith for his excellent tutorial.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In your original, the foreground suffers from the HDR (high dynamic range) that every single sunrise and sunset drome image suffers from. E.g.: the sensor reads the bright light and under-exposes the foreground. You can open the foreground with the shadows slider, but with this masking tool, you can selectively chose what to edit, including all of the sliders. You can spot edit the lake, etc. with the brush tool in Masking.

You should REALLY learn the new Adobe masking tool! I was afraid of it at first,. Now, I absolutely LOVE it and cannot see how I got along without it. The Masking tool is the exact same thing in Photoshop and Lightroom. Check out my favorite teacher, Colin Smith for his excellent tutorial.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
well Dale I know you've been advocating the use of masks for sometime now and I've been like 'yeah right' but finally the penny has dropped. AND talk about ease of use, boy. Now all I need is the time to play around with it.

well Dale I know you've been advocating the use of masks for sometime now and I've been like 'yeah right' but finally the penny has dropped. AND talk about ease of use, boy. Now all I need is the time to play around with it.
So glad you realized this
I’ve been daunted by masks and layers for years
Now with this new tool in Photoshop and Lightroom you can be a magician
I can selectively edit any part of my image
The best I for the underexposed foregrounds if sunrises and sunsets

Reactions: Sky Wombat
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members