DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Great Cheap Android Screen For The Mini 2 And The DJI Fly app....

netfolks2000 wrote:
"...don't avoid all connectivity. Updates are important & useful, even provide new features. So at least let your tablet WiFi into your phone's hotspot."

WRT phones, I'm a Philistine :) I won't willingly do anything via the internet from one. Voice calls/VM & texts only. My understanding is that it is possible to download updates to a computer and side-load to the drone firmware. At least that was allegedly possible for older DJI drones. Has that changed? Is there any other reason that internet connectivity might be required during a flight session?

I have a Windows Phone so my best option was to buy the 75$, 10.1" Pro ONN Walmart tablet, Works quite well. I rooted it and removed all the bloat so now it can sit there for a week and use up only 2% battery and is always ready. An anti glare screen protector is pretty necessary since the screen is as shiny as a mirror.

I have a Windows Phone so my best option was to buy the 75$, 10.1" Pro ONN Walmart tablet, Works quite well. I rooted it and removed all the bloat so now it can sit there for a week and use up only 2% battery and is always ready. An anti glare screen protector is pretty necessary since the screen is as shiny as a mirror.
How effective is that anti-glare protector? I have had several small Android phones where even with an alleged anti-glare filter installed I couldn't see s*** in direct sunlight. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to build a hood to provide some shadow no matter what tablet and filter I choose.

I don't use expensive Android phones. Never needed more until I started looking at drones. Many of the better toy grade or entry-level hobby grade camera drones require AC WiFi. In anticipation of getting a new drone, I got a new phone that has the AC WiFi. My other new phone had the 5G WiFi band, but no AC.
Enter the Moto G Power(2020 edition). For the curious, some specs for the phone, 4GB RAM and 64GB Storage(expandable via SD card to add up to 512GB), Snapdragon 665, 1080P display(399PPI), USB-C, 5000mAH battery, good GPS and Dual-Band WiFi with the AC. Other nice features are dual mics, dual speakers, headphone jack and fingerprint reader.

Well, instead of getting one of the nicer cheapo drones, like the F11 Pro 4K, I jumped up to the Mini 2. As the phone connects directly with the remote controller, turns out I did not need the AC WiFi after all...

Makes no difference however, as the Moto G Power is making a great screen for the DJI Fly app. I have to wonder if a better option even exists for $120(US). It is a "Prepaid" phone with a sim card. I remove the sim card, as I do not use cellular service with it. It's sole duty is screen for the Mini2.
I have had zero app crashes, zero loss of connection to the drone or remote. Today while flying and recording video, I wanted to make a picture of the Mini 2. I had no other phone or camera with me. So I took a chance and backed out of the DJI Fly app(Version 1.2.4), opened the phone's camera app and took the photos. Backed out of the camera app and popped the Fly app open, video was still recording, appears nothing bad or unexpected happened and the drone remained under control.

I make this post based on my philosophy that the phone should cost less than the drone.
biggrin.gif

If you share my frugal philosophy, give the Moto G Power a look. I have been totally impressed with how this budget phone handles its drone duties.

I was flying in to the barn when the Mini entered the shade, yet the sun illuminated the orange ring on the props, was the first I had seen the orange on the propeller tips while rotating. That made me want to take a photo of the Mini 2.
Djayl, if you wouldn't mind replying to this I'd be very appreciative. I've gone out today and bought a brand spanking Mavic Air 2S. On unboxing it and getting ready to fly, I came up with my first problem. Upon trying to download the DJI Fly App on my old Moto G6 it just wouldn't install. Or rather I got the ‘App failed to install” msg. You mention the Moto G power. I wasn't very happy about having to go out and buy another phone I can tell you. In fact I'm pissed, really pissed with DJI. However, I fly professionally and need a screen, a cheap one. You say the Fly app runs ok on the Moto G phone? So it's a 64bit system and has 2GB Ram then ? as these seem to be requirements. My old Moto 6 had android 9 I think so was a bit shocked to find that it didn't load up.

I'm also not someone who has been lured into the expensive range of smartphones. I use a Honor 10 Lite and it's been more than adequate for the Mini 2. My wife also has an Honor 10 Lite. And - guess what - the other wonderful woman in our "unusual" family also has an Honor 10 Lite. Why pay more? A lot more! Too many people get sucked in by marketing hype, Perhaps some think they'll be more socially accepted if they have the "right" phone? The Honor 10 Lite does everything we need a smart phone to do. £129. And the tech experts rated it as one of the two best smartphones in the "inexpensive" range,
Just bought a mavic Air 2S today and am totally disgusted that I am unable to download the DJI Fly app onto my Moto G6 that I've been using for the past 3 years+ with DJI Go App seamlessly. I wasn't anticipating having to buy a new phone too just to be able to fly my new bird. This should be made clear on the box of course. Anyway... you say that you use the Honor 10 Lite with the DJI Fly App? presumably it will work with the latest version which is 1.4.8 I think? Looks like they run for about £100 here in the UK. Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks

The ZTE Blade A7S runs Fly Fine. It's the cheapest new phone I'm aware of that will. Cost Au$90 on special. Has a fairly bright 6.5 inch screen, and does seem to have a compass. I only use it as a dedicated screen for the drone, no sim, doubt if it would handle multiple apps running simultaneously.

The app has crashed once in about 30 or so flights, that was early on, I've disabled most of the other apps since then and it's been good.

As I've mentioned before get yourself an iPad mini 4 one that doesn't have much memory because those that use them for everything other than drone flying leave them alone and you can pick them up very cheap plus you have the added screen brightness of Apple.

As I've mentioned before get yourself an iPad mini 4 one that doesn't have much memory because those that use them for everything other than drone flying leave them alone and you can pick them up very cheap plus you have the added screen brightness of Apple.
... $280 refurbished and $400 new

I bought the Walmart ONN tablet as "JackL" suggested but the cable that came with the Mini does not seem to fit. I know it is too short and I have ordered another longer cable. The connector to the tablet goes in and appears to be the right shape, it's the same cable I use with my Samsung S21 but it does not work with the tablet. The app says, "Aircraft not connected". It just feels like it is not going all the way in, there is still metal showing when pushed all the way in. What cable did you use JackL?

I bought the Walmart ONN tablet as "JackL" suggested but the cable that came with the Mini does not seem to fit. I know it is too short and I have ordered another longer cable. The connector to the tablet goes in and appears to be the right shape, it's the same cable I use with my Samsung S21 but it does not work with the tablet. The app says, "Aircraft not connected". It just feels like it is not going all the way in, there is still metal showing when pushed all the way in. What cable did you use JackL?
Is there compass chip in this tablet?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys