DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A look at Mexican drone laws

Hello again ^^
They answered me :

In the docs :
- triptico 2022 : less than 2Kg = RPAS Micro
- nom107-sct3 : RPAS Micro = Chapter 5 ; for Recreation, in chapter 5.1.1a : it says

And in the Apendice (the registration form), the first line is :

This goes with all the messages I've received : the Micro drones with a maximum take-off weight is less than 250 grams, used for recreation are allowed without registration, even fly over people (chapt. 5.1.1.f, NOTE 1: If the maximum take-off weight of the RPA is less than or equal to 250 grams, the RPA can be operated on people.).
Just need to respect the local laws (chapt. 5.1.1 : no INAH, no near-airport...)
This is great info and I appreciate you providing it! It's been years since I've been to MX with my drone, but previously flew a P3 and P4P around the Tulum area. I'm heading down next week and will bring my Mini 2 to get a few shots and videos in the Cancun area.

Did you fly? Have any issues at customs or when flying?

nothing, it was late (10 pm) on arrival, nobody at custom, we get get out easily.
but in case of i had printed everything : mails, laws, invoice (important, more than 6 months old, to show it's not an import)

Reactions: elsenor
Just returned from Mexico and as usual I learned something new. I have taken a drone to Mexico for the past several years and have never had a problem going thru customs or a scanner even though I always declared the drone. This last time In Loreto B.C. I was charged 80 bucks US for my Mavic Air2. I offered to just leave it in the plane, but they wouldn't go for that. They said they would hold it and return it when I left the country...fat chance. The document I received is in Spanish and is good for a year. (Any multiple entrance paperwork good for a year in Mexico expires New Year's Eve at midnight and is not valid the following day and you are subject to all kinds of trouble for being in the country without the proper paperwork)
I showed the paperwork to the Commandante in San Felipe B.C. who is a great guy and a fellow DJI drone pilot, and he explained that the Pilot of an aircraft in Mexico doesn't have same baggage rights as the passengers?? who knew?? and it can apply to all sorts of items..camera's etc.
Moral of the story...if you're the pilot of the private or commercial aircraft don't claim ownership of anything but personal items...or better yet, stay the heck out of Loreto B.C.
I must add, I love Mexico. I've been traveling down there practically my entire life, I'm 83, and I'm not about to stop...especially now that my drone is legal until midnight Dec. 31st 1922! :)
I had the same thing happen to me in Puerto Vallarta. As a pilot, they wouldn’t let me fly my MP2, but they did allow me to leave it in the jet.
Kind of ironic that I could fly it as a pax. You would think that they would prefer airplane pilots?
Ah well…

Interesting. I emailed RPAS so I could similarly have documentation (just in case) about flying a sub 250g SUAS and this was the response:

"Buen día en respuesta a su correo electrónico que antecede se le informa que al día de hoy no se permite volar una Aeronave Pilotada a Distancia (RPAS) perteneciente a un apersona extranjera en el Territorio Mexicano.
La norma es aplicable a RPAS con un peso igual o superior a los 250 gramos que podrá consultar en el siguiente enlace:
https://www.gob.mx/afac/acciones-y-programas/rpas-drones
Por favor revisar con detalle la norma oficial mexicana que regula la operación de los RPAS en México, así como las limitaciones y los lugares prohibidos para volar."

As a former attorney, I can't tell if this is their way of saying since your drone is less than 250g, the prohibition/s do not pertain to you, fly away! Or if they are hesitant to say anything other than, these are the rules, abide by them (even though > 250g SUAS is what their regulations pertain to). I replied for further clarification but they did not respond...

Reactions: MS Coast
Emailed RPAS one last time last week asking them to clarify just so I could have in an email, but nada. Packed my mini 2 anyway, a copy of my purchase receipt, and part 107 card in my wallet.

I didn't even get stopped or questioned leaving the airport. Then, I was too busy I didn't even fly... >.<

There's still the apparent prohibition on non-citizens flying drones in Mexico.
YOU CAN in the Micro catagory SUB 250 Gram. Also, Here is a translated version of the regulations. It's a mess, but in short if you are under 250 grams your good to fly following recreational guidelines as expressed by the representative in an email I received from SCT.GOB.MX.
I wrote a letter to the representative of the AFAC. Here is his reply.

Good afternoon, if the drone is for recreational use and is less than 250 grams if it can operate and therefore as a foreigner.

However, you must observe the restrictions and limitations indicated in the aforementioned standard. The link is attached for review and compliance.

Reactions: Aerophile
Stphtlbt,

thank you for your research in this matter. Did you take your nano drone (less than 250 gm) to Mexico during your trip and fly it without any problems?

thank you!

Sakthi

Hello again ^^
They answered me :

In the docs :
- triptico 2022 : less than 2Kg = RPAS Micro
- nom107-sct3 : RPAS Micro = Chapter 5 ; for Recreation, in chapter 5.1.1a : it says

And in the Apendice (the registration form), the first line is :

This goes with all the messages I've received : the Micro drones with a maximum take-off weight is less than 250 grams, used for recreation are allowed without registration, even fly over people (chapt. 5.1.1.f, NOTE 1: If the maximum take-off weight of the RPA is less than or equal to 250 grams, the RPA can be operated on people.).
Just need to respect the local laws (chapt. 5.1.1 : no INAH, no near-airport...)
Hey! What email address were you able to reach them at? I’ve been trying for a few months with no luck.

I am planning a trip in a couple of weeks to San Carlos (Sonora). There is definitely conflicting information out there, but I believe that if it is less than the 250g you can fly recreationally. Please let me know if you know something I don't! My wife wants me to simply leave my drone at home (Mini2) but I am going to take it. We are flying into AZ and driving down, so I think it'll be OK, at least with respect to airport scanners, etc. Not sure if they will scan everything as we cross the border, now that I think about it they probably will.
Anyway, most of this thread is from 2020, anyone know more with recent info?

I’m in rocky point right now. M3 pro in a case wasn’t even looked at crossing Lukeville. It’s the actual flying that should be researched. As I remember, a lot of these rules may well depend on the individual that you may contend with when they notice a flying camera buzzing past their location. I seem to remember there are specific rules regarding this subject and they mention Mexican citizenship. If you’re not a Mexican citizen, that will be the part to research.
Sorry I can’t look it up myself at this time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser