DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A New US Bill for a Proposed Law: Drone Integration and Zoning Act

AMann

Reactions
Well, if it passes it could be a big one affecting all of is in the US. If you don’t like it, please contact your representatives as soon as possible. Also, forward the link for Rep. Lee’s Bill to as many other drone and RC plane websites and pilots as you can, get them involved also.

Last edited:
While I appreciate the federalism concerns, this bill if passed will make a mess of the rules for flying a drone in the USA, since every locality will be empowered to make up their own rules especially regarding flying below 200 feet.

Senator Mike Lee R-Utah:

"The FAA cannot feasibly or efficiently oversee millions of drones in every locality throughout the country," Lee said in a statement.

"The reason that the states have sovereign police powers to protect the property of their citizens is because issues of land use, privacy, trespass, and law enforcement make sense at the state and local level. The best way to ensure public safety and allow this innovative industry to thrive is to empower the people closest to the ground to make local decisions in real time and that is exactly what the Drone Integration and Zoning Act does."

It is nothing but words on paper right now. No committee assignment, no cosponsors, nothing. Undoubtedly lobbyist(s) are behind this

Reactions: TampaTC and Lbesing
2nd thread on this.

"The FAA cannot feasibly or efficiently oversee millions of drones in every locality throughout the country," Lee said in a statement.

"Neither can states or local councils because they have no clue" ...says I.

If localities and HOAs are allowed to make their own rules regarding drone flights within "their" airspace, it's inevitable that a crazy-quilt of differing rules will result.

It will be only a matter of time before they start requiring licenses for "their" airspace, with PITA application processes and, of course, license fees.

With the increase in drone use for real estate photography, infrastructure surveillance, and roof damage assessment, enactment of Lee's bill would create a nightmare.

Senator Mike Lee R-Utah:

You're dead wrong, Senator! Air Traffic Control and safety of airspace is the FAA's exclusive responsibility for a reason. It's much better and most efficient with a SINGLE SOVEREIGN ENTITY controlling our skies than hundreds of thousands.

Last edited:
If localities and HOAs are allowed to make their own rules regarding drone flights within "their" airspace, it's inevitable that a crazy-quilt of differing rules will result.

It will be only a matter of time before they start requiring licenses for "their" airspace, with PITA application processes and, of course, license fees.

With the increase in drone use for real estate photography, infrastructure surveillance, and roof damage assessment, enactment of Lee's bill would create a nightmare.

Senator Mike Lee R-Utah:

You're dead wrong, Senator! It's much better and most efficient with a SINGLE SOVEREIGN ENTITY controlling our skies than hundreds of thousands.

We all have to get involved on this one before (and if) it looks like it may really go to the house.

Reactions: strdr and dawgpilot
This looks like a bad idea, but at some point the technology is probably going to need to be explicitly and specifically regulated for privacy issues. While the current consumer drones are not much of a privacy issue unless they get very close, the DJI Z30, for example, is exactly what many members of the public think of when they see a drone. I'm both impressed and horrified every time I see it in action. When that capability makes it into consumer drones there will be a real problem unrelated to airspace safety, and so unregulated by the FAA. Existing privacy laws are not really set up to cope with that.

This looks like a bad idea, but at some point the technology is probably going to need to be explicitly and specifically regulated for privacy issues. While the current consumer drones are not much of a privacy issue unless they get very close, the DJI Z30, for example, is exactly what many members of the public think of when they see a drone. I'm both impressed and horrified every time I see it in action. When that capability makes it into consumer drones there will be a real problem unrelated to airspace safety, and so unregulated by the FAA. Existing privacy laws are not really set up to cope with that.

Good point,the Z30 would make a 200’ restriction a joke for protecting privacy.

And aerial use of high resolution FLIR sensors tht can discern people behind walls would be a huge issue as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: JS1600
Good point,the Z30 would make a 200’ restriction a joke for protecting privacy.

And aerial use of high resolution FLIR sensors tht can discern people behind walls would be a huge issue as well.

Luckily FLIR can't actually see through walls.

Reactions: Thoraldus
I am a licensed pilot and a 107 pilot. To allow states, counties, cities, and HOA the ability to regulate airspace with NO knowledge would be utterly a disaster. The FAA is slow to enact rules and regulations to protect both aircraft and drones operations in a crowded airspace but the drone is a rapidly growing phenomenon.
I wrote Senator Lee a email requesting him to withdraw his bill or amend to to allow the FAA more resources to cotroler our crowded skys.
I read this forum daily and see too often the same BS where a remote few have no clue about airspace an the rules flying drones.
I may offend some but I believe we all should have some type of training and certification to operate a drone.
I have personally flown past a drone in flight while approaching for a landing at a airport.
As a pilot it is hard enough to watch for other aircraft at 200 knots let alone a tiny dot in the sky.
Please write your congressmen as well as Sen Lee in supporting killing this bill!!!

Well, if it passes it could be a big one affecting all of is in the US. If you don’t like it, please contact your representatives as soon as possible.
There goes the Neighborhood! This only means that they can make up the rules as they go along! And it would be a Republican who comes up with this nonsense and they’re always the ones crying about less Government!

Reactions: badaxed
Luckily FLIR can't actually see through walls.

I saw a Raytheon demo at a remote sensing conference where they had a unit that could pick up people behind interior walls. It was too big for drones but could be used in helicopters. The image was good enough that you could see a blob where people were sitting, but moving people were not detected.

I saw a Raytheon demo at a remote sensing conference where they had a unit that could pick up people behind interior walls. It was too big for drones but could be used in helicopters. The image was good enough that you could see a blob where people were sitting, but moving people were not detected.

I've use FLIR that works well enough to see through walls. Granted the bargain price for one is about $50k and it also requires a signficant temp difference between inside/outside.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31