DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A new Drone Harmony / Mavic Mini combo - Automated Orthomosaic Images (Enjoy)

I'm confused about this technique won't you get potential stitch errors as you could have potentially the same subject featured in many different shots but from different positions and therefore have parallax errors? Different from stationery panos where the drone stays still and takes images from the centre of an imaginary sphere.

Shouldn't all these images be processed into something like Agrisoft Metashape or Reality Capture and a 3D model made which can then have a top down view exported? (lot of work by the way!)

I'm wondering how this would go on a group of houses or orchard with those 3D elements present across the whole image? I imagine if you tried this over those subjects you would have all sorts of parallax errors but I can't really see any in your video, but 3D details are on the sparse side?? Ponder ponder...

Hey mate

That's the good thing about Image Composite Editor, its suited for Pano's and Orthomosaic application.

The software prefers that you have the same features (for instance a building) in multiple shots, so that it can link the overlapping sections together without join lines.

But as I pointed out in the video, as soon as that feature becomes mobile or is not static in the images, you end up with issues.

Yet the drones movement resulting in the feature being in a different position, won't effect stiching as the software can detect other points of interest within shots and knows, that it's not the feature that's moved but the camera itself.

As for 3D imagery, I'm currently working on a video in which I use Drone Harmonys Multi Grid mode and also Orbit mode Timed shots to create a 3D model with free software called Meshroom.

Its a long process, 259 images took about 3hrs to process and even then there wasn't enough imagery from different angles to complete the model.

Great video. I’ve used Microsoft ICE in the past for ortho and pano images. Was impressed with the quality of the result for a free, and quite simple, software. It’s been a few months since I’ve used it, so correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t you crop and scale within ICE itself?

Great video. I’ve used Microsoft ICE in the past for ortho and pano images. Was impressed with the quality of the result for a free, and quite simple, software. It’s been a few months since I’ve used it, so correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t you crop and scale within ICE itself?
Hey mate, you can crop the image and change overall size but it's not as effective, compared to a editor like Photoshop.

Hey mate

That's the good thing about Image Composite Editor, its suited for Pano's and Orthomosaic application.

The software prefers that you have the same features (for instance a building) in multiple shots, so that it can link the overlapping sections together without join lines.

But as I pointed out in the video, as soon as that feature becomes mobile or is not static in the images, you end up with issues.

Yet the drones movement resulting in the feature being in a different position, won't effect stiching as the software can detect other points of interest within shots and knows, that it's not the feature that's moved but the camera itself.

As for 3D imagery, I'm currently working on a video in which I use Drone Harmonys Multi Grid mode and also Orbit mode Timed shots to create a 3D model with free software called Meshroom.

Its a long process, 259 images took about 3hrs to process and even then there wasn't enough imagery from different angles to complete the model.
That's interesting I have used PTGUI for this type of process but it wasn't having a bar of it! Must be some special maths going on in ICE? There must be a limit as to how low you go as Parallax would be much greater at say 10m compared to 30m? Maybe I was too low when I tried?

I have pretty much given up on the true 3D Model approach, takes so long and you need a heap of images at different angles to do it properly. Is cool having a 3D model though. Also any plain walls/roof etc are a nightmare for 3D modelling programs.

Oh well I'll have to give ICE a run and see how I go.

Cheers

Reactions: Drone_The_Sky
Nicely presented. Does Drone Harmony have a desktop preflight program? When you stitched it looks like you did it on your desktop. 158 photos...how long did that take and how strong is your machine?

Reactions: Drone_The_Sky
Great demo. Enjoyed your relaxed style and clear process.. I wonder how long before I can use it with my air2.

Nicely presented. Does Drone Harmony have a desktop preflight program? When you stitched it looks like you did it on your desktop. 158 photos...how long did that take and how strong is your machine?
Hey Geoff

So Drone Harmony allows you to plan flight missions from your web browser as well

When you sign in you can use it, I don't because it seems a bit buggy compared to the app

As for my computer, I use a laptop with a I5 processor, you don't need to much processing power or the image composite editor, it will just take bit more time on a slower PC.

The stiching in the video took me about 5 - 8 minutes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929