DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A nightmare in the Catskill mountains..NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truly sorry to hear this! There are was going to be uneducated knuckleheads where ever we try to fly. I live in upstate NY and travel to the Catskills often to fly my drone, so far no problem. It's hard anywhere to find places to fly and not have issues with ignorant people or just finding a suitable place. I spend so much time looking for a locale where I am not on someone's property or other constraints.
I can steer you in a few directions that are Wonderful places to fly

One is an abandoned farm off of Rte. 28 in Pine Hill

The farm and all the buildings are in various stages of decomposition

A WONDERFUL..BEAUTIFUL small lake/BIG POND in the middle of it all

9 out of 10 visits are Empty of people

In the distance Belle Aire ski slopes can be seen

360 degrees of forest and ski trails are visible and the small lake is popping with fish avoiding birds of prey looking for a snack

Untouched property slowly becoming rubble...others still able to be saved

The owner ..a Doctor ...donated the property to the town and it is a Glorious setting

I have flown over ALL of the hundreds of acres and each time i see something new

the QUIET is deafening !

The silence is a symphony of many bird calls chattering and then....

S I L E N C E ...a calming Quiet and i suddenly have SUPER hearing

i wear hearing aids...a professional drummer for most of my life and i am very close to being totally Deaf

I treasure what i hear AND see...i share this spot with my Grandchildren...they have not heard the silence yet...They WILL

IF you would like directions to this spot,i would be happy to send directions to you

a bit of Paradise

[email protected]

Reactions: dawgpilot
I would have ***** slapped his Adam 's apple with the back of my hand , hope you meet some nice people next time your flying :)
thank you Fly less

I hear you

steam coming out of my ears

as Jackie Gleason once said..He is gonna get His

BANG ...Zoooooom

I hope to do the banging but i am trying to let it go

he WILL get his...karma is a ( Mod Removed )

Thanks brother !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fly less combo
I have had similar encounters and when I can get a word in, I like to offer assurances that I am only interested in the landscape and not personal. private property. After offering to allow them to view my footage, they back down without an argument and have not taken me up on the offer.

I have had similar encounters and when I can get a word in, I like to offer assurances that I am only interested in the landscape and not personal. private property. After offering to allow them to view my footage, they back down without an argument and have not taken me up on the offer.

I responded in the same fashion but i was threatened...i offered the same viewing of my footage..they wanted NOTHING of it..They were on a mission..I was the enemy and no matter what i said i was threatened IN MY FACE nose to nose..IF I ever see you flying over MY PROPERTY i will shoot it out out of the sky ! ..IF they did that, the debris that would fall down on the roadway may possibly injure an innocent motorist below..SICK Twisted ( Mod Removed )bored with their CRAP lives and itching for some action and MEANING in their miserable lives...Sick BORED fools looking for meaning in their Crap lives at my expense

Last edited by a moderator:
Word to young men from old men.
Be Courteous and respect older gentlemen.
A young man will fight you.
An old man will kill you.
Justified.
No machismo.
No remorse.
No apology.
Back country courtesy is imperative.
Old guys carry iron and have used it before.

Reactions: Quad Pipe
Taking control of the situation usually is key to quick resolution.

Would the following steps (if practiced) help or not? As long as one is on public not private land assumed.

Step-1 - calmly explain you're more interested in landscape image capture than anything else
Step-2 - turn up volume on DJI GO or Pilot application
Step-3 - if / when the reply is hostile hit the RTH button and make sure the offender hears it initiate
Step-4 - calmly give offender your fullest attention and suggest let's call the police

Never exercised - just a thought.

Reactions: swings16

Would the following steps (if practiced) help or not? As long as one is on public not private land assumed.

Step-1 - calmly explain you're more interested in landscape image capture than anything else
Step-3 - if / when the reply is hostile hit the RTH button and make sure the offender hears it initiate
Step-4 - calmly give offender your fullest attention and suggest let's call the police

I was flying from a public city park off the side of a road

if i have seen more than 10 people there over the years going there...it would be alot

it is simply not used

I was welcoming to the 2 as i saw them approaching me....so rare to see people there

many times in my town i have people and their kids come up to me and ask questions about my drone and they all are delighted to see me flying..no B.S....it is something they don't see everyday and it is interesting to them and to the KIDS

I was flying 200 ft + UP filming a big fat beautiful moon over the mountains as the backdrop

They must have saw the lights from quite a way off...they must live off the road a 1/4 mile away from the park

There are no houses along the road that i was flying next too

it was another boring hum drum night for Homer + Jethro and the younger man must have been on steroids

smoke coming out of his ears as i tried to assure him that i had ZERO interest in his chimney from 200 ft. up

They would have none of it...i was outnumbered...The kid was dying to hit me...he was way too IN MY FACE and i just backed off

I would have gained nothing from engaging them...i would have been knocked cold and my drone would have been destroyed

i am positive that THAT would have been the result...this 30 year old wanted me...i didn't let him get me...i did the right thing and i still have a few REAL teeth left !

In all my years of going there i can't recall the last time i saw a cop...NEVER on the street and rarely on a road

Getting cell service up there is a joke...hold the phone up and at a 45 degree angle...Point it straight up...Walk slowly in a circle

a JOKE..no service to speak of

i wanted to call the police to make a report...i was threatened and i was very close to being badly beaten and robbed (they would have trashed my drone)...2 against ONE

I was welcoming to these jerk offs...i saw the approaching me and i was ready to answer questions about flying etc..THAT is what normally happens..Parents with kids will come by and watch..all looking up and smiling..asking questions and i engage everyone because i like to share with people who are interested...Homer + Jethro were having a boring night sitting on THEIR PROPERTY a 1/4 mile away and THEIR PROPERTY WAS DISRESPECTED...Dag Gummit !

I'm done...i will choose carefully from now on...i will make sure that i am not flying over people;s property and i will make sure to carry a fresh can of PEPPER Spray

Iwas up everyone! Found this looking for flight issues in this area! The family rented a Airbnb on Catskill and I had planned on hiking kaaterskill fall in 2 weeks.

I got a mavic pro about 4 weeks ago and I was excited about drone flying I have a tiny one I fly on the house probably the size of Snapple cap($20 one from microcenter) and decided to join the club of advance flyers but it seems everyone has an issue with drone flyers!!! Everywhere and anywhere rouge flyers are d@icks!!! Killing the hobby for everyone.

Anyways thank god the house has 8 acres of open land for me to fly privately, I also have a question since all the rules and regulations are so confusing and mixed up am I able to lift off from the top of my hike ? Or even close the waterfalls in this area or is this considered a state park so no lift off?

I saw a post a page back that recommended that farm and other locations definitely checking it out! I have this drone fever but live in nyc! Dang it!! Luckily I’m on the border line of Yonkers and the Bronx but even so I’m scare to fly my drone anywhere! Because most people seem to have a negative reaction to them!

FYI in regards to the OP you have patience am still young and usually polite when I’m treated with the same energy a guy telling me I’m getting a gun next time is usually a trigger in my head to draw a line that they can’t cross or we will have a confrontation, but I’m hiking with 6 other guys luckily people tend to approach us differently when we are together 3 of them are 7” tall

Reactions: swings16
Iwas up everyone! Found this looking for flight issues in this area! The family rented a Airbnb on Catskill and I had planned on hiking kaaterskill fall in 2 weeks.

I got a mavic pro about 4 weeks ago and I was excited about drone flying I have a tiny one I fly on the house probably the size of Snapple cap($20 one from microcenter) and decided to join the club of advance flyers but it seems everyone has an issue with drone flyers!!! Everywhere and anywhere rouge flyers are d@icks!!! Killing the hobby for everyone.

Anyways thank god the house has 8 acres of open land for me to fly privately, I also have a question since all the rules and regulations are so confusing and mixed up am I able to lift off from the top of my hike ? Or even close the waterfalls in this area or is this considered a state park so no lift off?

I saw a post a page back that recommended that farm and other locations definitely checking it out! I have this drone fever but live in nyc! Dang it!! Luckily I’m on the border line of Yonkers and the Bronx but even so I’m scare to fly my drone anywhere! Because most people seem to have a negative reaction to them!

FYI in regards to the OP you have patience am still young and usually polite when I’m treated with the same energy a guy telling me I’m getting a gun next time is usually a trigger in my head to draw a line that they can’t cross or we will have a confrontation, but I’m hiking with 6 other guys luckily people tend to approach us differently when we are together 3 of them are 7” tall

Yup

I try to respond to people kindly if approached by a stranger

Usually they are interested in the workings of the craft

I share my knowledge with them but there IS a definite DISLIKE to drones

I don't know WHY...i have many ideas as to the distrust but if approached,i am polite and answer any questions but there are some very angry people out there and whether it is a drone..or a parking space..flat tire..not getting the raise they thought would get ..on + On there are sick angry frustrated people looking to make it all better by kicking ***...My situation was over PRIVATE PROPERTY INVASION

200 feet + high...a 1/4 mile or more away from the complaining angry person's house where you would lucky to note the top of a chimney and they are ready to get down and kick ***...not necessarily about the drone...Could have been ANYTHING to touch off a fool with Low iQ

I don't know if this would have helped or made matters worse but this might be one situation where wearing a bright safety vest with "FAA License Drone Pilot...Caution" or something similar on it might have avoided a confrontation. Some people might approach with a different attitude if they view what you are doing as connect with a government agency or work related.

Disrupting a flight operation is a federal offense although I can't say for sure that regulation applies to drone operation. I'd consider throwing that out since if the vast majority of drone flying is now regulated by the FAA you might as well try to use it to your advantage.

Beyond that I'm glad the situation ended with you having not gotten into a physically violent confrontation. That said allowing someone to "get in your face" puts you at a serious disadvantage tactically, especially if there are two people involved. This individual decide against attacking but when you let someone get that close to you the options for defending yourself are dramatically reduced.

That is a great idea, I am going to do that. One in English and one in Spanish..

I do not like to talk with anyone when flying and try to fly from a secluded spot or as hidden as possible.

It is hard to tell even friendly people, that "I cant talk right now. When I land in about XX minutes I will be happy to talk" without offending them.

Some official looking safety jacket could ward off some.

thanks

That is a great idea, I am going to do that. One in English and one in Spanish..

I do not like to talk with anyone when flying and try to fly from a secluded spot or as hidden as possible.

It is hard to tell even friendly people, that "I cant talk right now. When I land in about XX minutes I will be happy to talk" without offending them.

Some official looking safety jacket could ward off some.

thanks
your statement as hidden as possible is what can make people think you are up to no good ,although i can understand why you might do that to avoid confrontation, i have in over 2 years of flying drones always worn my high vis vest with the words( drone pilot) on the back and in full view of anybody who cares to approach me ,i can honestly say that during that time i have not been threatened or abused by anyone most people are just curious and ask questions about the drone, maybe in the UK things are slightly different to other parts of the world,who knows,i can only speak for myself

your statement as hidden as possible is what can make people think you are up to no good ,although i can understand why you might do that to avoid confrontation, i have in over 2 years of flying drones always worn my high vis vest with the words( drone pilot) on the back and in full view of anybody who cares to approach me ,i can honestly say that during that time i have not been threatened or abused by anyone most people are just curious and ask questions about the drone, maybe in the UK things are slightly different to other parts of the world,who knows,i can only speak for myself

I too have had far more positive encounters than negative. I simply do not want people approaching me while I am flying... If they approach, I politely say.. sorry I cannot talk now, when I land in about xxx minutes I could."

few view that as a friendly satisfactory answer.... they only want to "ask a quick question" por example

i understand their curiosity but I dont want to engage.

two on one in the woods ? Not good. after 21 years of dealing with people like that sometimes it puts me in mind of the old days when I always had a little friend with me.
not any more, to old. you made the right choice. Situation like that can go downhill real fast.

You responded like many of us would and should. Thankfully you are here to tell the story

Exactly and so very true !

Every so often the old macho horse sheist kicks in and i know it is on THEM and not on me

Thanks to people like you affirming the truth of it all is what keeps my head held high

Thank You for shining light on the Reality of it all

Fools and Bullies are everywhere

The reaction to freaks like i encountered is what counts

Thank YOU and all my fellow forum members for the truth of it all

Fools ..Bullies and morons abound

HERE is where Fine GOOD people share Positive and informative info

That is why i put my story here...i KNEW i would get the truth from my fellow Fliers

Thanks ALL !!!

But what would have you done if they had attacked you? You were alone, unarmed and outnumbered. Age is no excuse for stupid. Life isn't fair or easy and there are plenty of vultures in the world. Some are like Bernie Madoff, well dressed, educated and can and can hurt worse than an *** whooping. While others have ******* tattooed on their foreheads...easier to spot.

Best to be aware of your surroundings. I'm in my late 60's but am fortunate in that I'm a big guy who can handle himself. Plus, all those years in Boy Scouts taught me to "Be Prepared". I carry a 4" assisted opening knife everyware. It makes for a handy tool. If you're not a fighter or carry yourself like one a "FAA License Drone Pilot...Caution" vest as 2edgesword suggested with a line of prepared bs about how much trouble your potential attackers could be if they so much as interrupted your train of thought.

However, in your situation I guess you fared OK. No cuts, lumps, broken or stolen bird just a bruised ego.

A week ago my family and i flew the NYC Coop for some fresh air and mountain lakes

I found a spot off a very lightly traveled road off Rt. 28 that is a local park

This was last week...it was dusk..a HUGE beautiful moon hanging in the sky and i am up a couple hundred feet taking it all in

As i am filming and enjoying myself + i notice 2 people sliding down the side of the road and coming towards me

I am always happy to see people watch me and answer questions and as they come closer i see angry faces

One man was in his 30's and there was smoke coming out of his ears...the other was an older man with the same attitude

At first i thought they would ask questions about flying but their only motivation was to threaten me about "flyin over MY property "

Do you have a camera in that thing ?

I responded honestly and both of them started in with me..Who gives you the right to invade my personal property ?

YOU are up to no good etc on and on and i am responding that i have no ill will or intent in my flying near their homes

The Younger one...ITCHING to fight starts to ask me for my name...he is in my face and smoke is rising from his head getting angrier by the minute

I try to keep cool but i am outnumbered...i am in my late 60's and this kid wants a piece of my ***

after a few insanely tense minutes this Psycho P.O.S. Hillbilly looks me in the eye...6 inches from my face...if i see that thing over my house again i will get my shotgun and take it down...DO YOU HEAR ME ?

Totally messed up my few days there...i did fly and film over a small lake and found some beautiful areas there but i was off...upset and ANGRY...Thinking of how i SHOULD have reacted...all a fantasy///

What would be the result of engaging him ?...all bad and negative ones and POLICE...I Swallowed deeply and i TRY to let it go..but a week later and i am still having trouble with it all

Initial response: Trolling at it's finest! 2 likes and a Lol

Edit 2 mins later, (What i should have said DarnIt):

Did you stop to consider not all farmers in the catskills farm food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv