DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A question, if connection is reestablished, how do you cancel a landing triggered by a failsafe setting of "land"?

Chaosrider, actually what you're describing it critical low battery behavior. That's not what we are discussing here. In the situation we're discussing the drone had 58% battery.

Rather, we're discussing Failsafe RTH during signal loss, which is described in detail in the manual. This can happen with plenty of power to get home.
‐---------------------‐-----
Back to the discussion:

ALWAYS leave failsafe behavior set to RTH unless you have a specific mission reason to set it to Hover, or Land, and then set it back to RTH right after the mission.

The topic of this thread is the reason!
I concur, always set failsafe behavior to RTH, unless you have some very specific reason to do otherwise.

Actually, I discussed both cases; I just didn't mention setting the failsafe behavior to RTH. IIRC, it defaults to RTH, but I haven't looked at that in along time. I can imagine reasons for setting the failsafe behavior to land instead, but none of them apply to my flying, and I suspect that very few missions/pilots ever need it.

Inspired with confidence from the posts here I tested it with the mavic mini, as soon as the connection was reestablished the "Tap to cancel landing" button appeared on the phone's screen. Kind of a relief.
I will test the mini 2 in a bit when its phone is charged.
That was outside, just tested it indoors in expectation of it rejecting the landing site, which it did, and pressing the RTH button on the controller cancelled the landing too.
Messing with full displacements of the sticks did nothing 'useful' but they were only very short duration displacements, because I did not have the space to play with.

Just tested with a Mini 2, same result but I couldn't reliably trigger a disconnection by taking the controller into the garage, I had to switch it off, thumbs up to the mini 2 controller for a stronger connection. The cancellation behaviour was the same as the Mavic Mini, the "Tap to cancel landing" button appeared on the phone's screen and worked as did a press of the RTH button on the controller. Stick movement did not cancel the landing or at least for the periods I held them at full displacement (out door so I had room to play with but not a great deal of height.)

Last edited:
i,m not to sure i understand becuase if a flight is to long the m1p politely asks me if it can return home if i,ve lost signal it just comes home if for the reason i did not have the rth alititude high enough then it will be where it got hung up and ther was the time i sent it over the hill directly into the setting sun and it got tired and went down other than that i have to say with out pilot error the M1P and Spark are at 100% for getting back home the inspire 1 v2 thats a whole nother story my inspire has finally earned a name sircrashalot

Inspired with confidence from the posts here I tested it with the mavic mini, as soon as the connection was reestablished the "Tap to cancel landing" button appeared on the phone's screen. Kind of a relief.
I will test the mini 2 in a bit when its phone is charged.
That was outside, just tested it indoors in expectation of it rejecting the landing site, which it did, and pressing the RTH button on the controller cancelled the landing too.
Messing with full displacements of the sticks did nothing 'useful' but they were only very short duration displacements, because I did not have the space to play with.
I just flew one of my Mini-2s and my Mini-1 outside. I had failsafe for both set to RTH, as always. I pushed both of them to LOS. In both cases, they initiated the signal loss RTH, and started climbing, since I've got the RTH altitude set pretty high, what with living in the mountains.

In both cases they started climbing to their RTH altitude, and in both cases, the signal connectivity returned in fairly short order. I then cancelled the RTH, and brought them both home.

The Mini-1 (Mavic Mini) is an underappreciated little gem! The Mini-SE is somewhat better, and the Mini-2 is way better, but that little Mini-1...Reliant...is an easy joy to fly. It takes me over the hills, and far away...

:cool:

i,m not to sure i understand becuase if a flight is to long the m1p pol.......
The option exists to tell (beforehand) the drone what to do if it loses connection with the controller. The feature is named the "failsafe" behaviour. The options are, RTH, or Land, or Hover.
RTH is the default setting and most people leave it at that but, in the flight in question, the pilot had the option set to "land" and when there was a disconnection the drone started the failsafe process and started to land.
Normally that would mean it will land and the connection will not be restablished but in this instance there was a brief reconnection as the drone descended.

I was wondering if the pilot could, concievably, have halted the landing during that brief reconnection, it turns out he probably could.
The pilot could then, perhaps, have had time to realise/discover that the failsafe behaviour setting was inappropriate and reset it to RTH and then attempted to fly the drone home under manual control. If connection had been lost during that attempt to bring the drone home the drone would have initiated and RTH.

Last edited:
In the case you outline immediately above, @Yorkshire_Pud, the best advice is to immediately command RTH by pressing and holding the RTH button. That way, if the signal is lost again the RTH will continue and the drone will come home.

At some point control will be re-established well before the drone gets back, and at that point RTH can be canceled and you can safely adjust the Failsafe setting at your leisure.

In most cases, this will all occur on RTH ascent.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661