DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Real Beginner's Error.

It might be that I'm just a tight-pursed Jock, but any check list that saves me some brass sounds good to me. These machines cost too much of my hard earned to be chucked away due to lack of a bit of basic common . Why not do checks unless you've got deeper pockets than mine.

Reactions: PeteTheJack
Personally I don't want the app to layout a check list on any of my quads. Prior to flight there are many other items I check that have nothing to do with the aircraft itself. I had a guy ask me about flying in a specific area he frequently operates his drones at and asked if it seemed like a good spot. I said yes, except it was in classified airspace and he'd have to obtain clearance...he didn't have a clue. How many people think the DJI geofencing feature is the same as a sectional? Even the OP's question about discharging could be answered by reading the instructions. But I don't blame people for asking questions here. I was a bit overwhelmed with the manual of my first quad and I feel this site and videos I watched help quite a bit. Now I'd agree a basic check list could be offered in the instructions. Most of the basics are in the manual but the info is spread out all over place.
I have several laminated check lists for different situations such as times where I want certain sensors on or off for a specific purpose. I consider it more of a cheat sheet when dealing with a function I rarely use.
Although it's hard to admit, it is more than likely symptomatic of my age.

what you can try is my method before i go out to fly ,in the comfort of my home i run through my pre flight checks ,with regards to the condition of the drone for safe flight check i have a formatted SD card in the drone ,and that my batteries and device and controller are all charged fully
in this way i can be reasonably sure i am going to have a good days flying ,then when i get to my flying spot its just the location checks that i have to worry about

Reactions: PeteTheJack
Way too many think that. I did at first. As I have said before, any relationship between DJIs "flysafe" database and FAA controlled airspace is purely coincidental.

I think you mean controlled airspace.
Not coincidental at all. Follows FAA facilities map pretty good. DJI even includes TFRs in their geofencing. The Fly app last year even warned me that there was a ball game starting soon.

Lost one of my drones because of that very reason. Took off with 40% battery with the intention of flying under trees and along a stream - a quick 4 - 5 min flight . I was only 50 feet away and starting the return leg when the drone did a auto RTH. As I had my eyes on the drone guiding it under branches I never saw the RTH warning on screen or heard the warning as the volume was muted. The drone ascended up , trying to reach its assigned RTH altitude collided with the trees and crashed down into the water. Max screen brightness and full volume are on my checklist forever more.
1.24 in this video shows the crash if interested

Not coincidental at all. Follows FAA facilities map pretty good. DJI even includes TFRs in their geofencing. The Fly app last year even warned me that there was a ball game starting soon.
I agree that DJI has developed a pretty good operating system with regard to busy airspace. Not full proof but better than most. Still everyone should have some basic knowledge about the rules/regs without relying on an app or feature. But more on topic, I don't need a check list reminding me to check the airspace I'm flying in...well not yet anyway. But it can be easy to forget something even when using a check list.

I flipped a plane over on the runway the other day. I had forgot to check my aileron throws and left them unplugged...oops.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929