DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A seasoned pilot - A rookie mistake - Working side sensors!

rmb

Reactions
So as I said I have been flying professionally for almost 5 years with only 1 pilot-related crash. It almost became 2, but I am here to tell anyone that might be skeptical about the side sensors that they do indeed work and saved my careless bacon.
So, I was in Georgia flying over a lake, near shore to capture some lake-side homes. As I did not want to be seen by in the shot, I went out about 50 feet, turned the Mavic to face the shore and hid behind a tree. My goal was to full-throttle to my left and get a nice left-to-right dolly of some beautiful houses. So, once in position and well-hidden so the Mavic couldn't see me (I couldn't see the Mavic either) I did a full left stick and began my nice dolly. (did you catch the mistake)? I didn't till it was almost too late. Because the bird was facing toward me, the left stick should have been a right stick to dolly left and, because I could not see the Mavic I didn't realize that I was going in the wrong direction.
Like I said in the title, it was a totally boneheaded move that even the best of us can make if we get complacent.
Anyway, the Mavic rocketed directly through a tree (not into a tree) through a tree and at full speed stopped on a dime in the middle of the branches. What I should have done was slowly rotate around to find my best way out, but I instinctively just backed out to reveal that I still have no idea how I did not crash into a branch and got so far into the tree.

Anyway for your viewing pleasure here is a link to what I saw on my display. And, A great lesson to ALWAYS maintain VLOS.

Now let the "making fun of my stupidity begin ;)

rb

wow what a lucky escape you really branched out there its a shame you didnt twig what was going on tree mendous luck

wow what a lucky escape you really branched out there its a shame you didn't twig what was going on tree mendous luck
I think the whole ordeal was worth your buns! They leaves me barking with laughter bud ;)
Thanks for watching and yes I owe a Mavic to the gods of trees and lakes.

I think the whole ordeal was worth your buns! They leaves me barking with laughter bud ;)
Thanks for watching and yes I owe a Mavic to the gods of trees and lakes.
i think a bit of humour helps in every situation glad you liked it

Reactions: Bobvt
No Barking from me :)

So as I said I have been flying professionally for almost 5 years with only 1 pilot-related crash. It almost became 2, but I am here to tell anyone that might be skeptical about the side sensors that they do indeed work and saved my careless bacon.
So, I was in Georgia flying over a lake, near shore to capture some lake-side homes. As I did not want to be seen by in the shot, I went out about 50 feet, turned the Mavic to face the shore and hid behind a tree. My goal was to full-throttle to my left and get a nice left-to-right dolly of some beautiful houses. So, once in position and well-hidden so the Mavic couldn't see me (I couldn't see the Mavic either) I did a full left stick and began my nice dolly. (did you catch the mistake)? I didn't till it was almost too late. Because the bird was facing toward me, the left stick should have been a right stick to dolly left and, because I could not see the Mavic I didn't realize that I was going in the wrong direction.
Like I said in the title, it was a totally boneheaded move that even the best of us can make if we get complacent.
Anyway, the Mavic rocketed directly through a tree (not into a tree) through a tree and at full speed stopped on a dime in the middle of the branches. What I should have done was slowly rotate around to find my best way out, but I instinctively just backed out to reveal that I still have no idea how I did not crash into a branch and got so far into the tree.

Anyway for your viewing pleasure here is a link to what I saw on my display. And, A great lesson to ALWAYS maintain VLOS.

rb

Actually, that’s nice footage!!

Glad you didn't crash.

rb

I did nearly the same thing and got caught between power lines and like you said instinctively increased elevation but what happened to me was the power line was just below the prop and above the motor arm of my P4P so when I went up it ping ponged for a bit before breaking free. It then went sideways dropping about 5 feet before it righted itself. I got REAL lucky for sure and fortunately solid technology saved a crash. If I had shattered a prop it would have been a disaster.

The only things that are seasoned is steak and chicken and you look like neither....well I am so glad you saved your bacon.... wait a minute, can one season bacon?....your reprieve is granted. You may fly another day.....nice houses though....

Thanks for sharing your narrow escape.
Life events like this are good for anyone.
My pride is repeatedly reduced to humility by applied complacency.
Just returned from an annual dove hunt, so I’m REAL humble for a while... maybe a good time to fly.

Thanks for sharing your narrow escape.
Life events like this are good for anyone.
My pride is repeatedly reduced to humility by applied complacency.
Just returned from an annual dove hunt, so I’m REAL humble for a while... maybe a good time to fly.
Few things more humbling than a dove hunt. I use to shoot skeet semi-pro and to train we use to shot pigeons from a railroad bridge. Man if you can hit a pidgeon or dove on the wing you can hit anything, but I digress.

Unless you were flying tripod mode it wasn’t the sensors that stopped you, it was the branches. **** lucky if you ask me. Still, flying into a tree sideways while panning is a very classic mistake and also happened to a few well known drone channel guys (there’s this Brit with a Russian wife, they YouTube together, it happened to them I believe). Happy flying!

rb

That is nice video. Problem with flying sideways is no video feedback to see what's left or right. And always remember that a drone flies forward in the direction of the camera...

rb

Admire your honesty, been there, done that...lol

Ditto. I am really impressed in the toughness of my Mavic 2Z. mine flew into the tree and hit the branches. it didn't crash, it realised that it was unable to escape on its own, but patiently waited for me to rescue it. I disabled the OAs and then flew it out of the tree. the props were chipped but no other damage.
The side sensors did not stop it but the branches are quite small, understandably.
Here is the video, laughing is allowed

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

LOL! Non-hunters have no idea what you mean. But I do - yes, dove hunting will "humble" you. Thanks for the reminder!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98