DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 A Spring Sunrise, Blackpool Tower, Lancashire, England - DJI AIR3 4K 60fps

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
A day out yesterday for the traditional Good Friday Grey Arrows Blackpool Tower Sunrise meet-up!

An early start for the 545am sunrise, and a cold and windy day - thankfully not gusty though!

Some stunning footage captured, a good catchup with friends and a chance to meet some new fols too, and a sunrise flight that I am happy with - all done within VLOS and within the CAA Drone Code!

Outstanding ,I thought I saw a drone or two in the background
Yes, the first shot captures 2 other drones, but there were 10 of us flying from the Grey Arrows drone club - it was a traditional meet at the Tower for sunrise for about the 5th year in a row now! Was fun making sure we didnt crash into one another, but I think I was the only one doing video, everyone else was doing photos instead...

A day out yesterday for the traditional Good Friday Grey Arrows Blackpool Tower Sunrise meet-up!

An early start for the 545am sunrise, and a cold and windy day - thankfully not gusty though!

Some stunning footage captured, a good catchup with friends and a chance to meet some new fols too, and a sunrise flight that I am happy with - all done within VLOS and within the CAA Drone Code!

Stunning well done

• Love
Reactions: AlbionDrones
Well, OK, you have outdone yourself again. Amazingly close flying for a windy day. This was just beautiful. Thanks for sharing and Happy Easter to you and yours.

• Love
Well, OK, you have outdone yourself again. Amazingly close flying for a windy day. This was just beautiful. Thanks for sharing and Happy Easter to you and yours.
Thanks... I was flying to the leeward side of the tower, so the wind would have pushed me further away, but in the main it was flying into wind so slowing the forward motion, hence I could fly close enough without too much danger - plus it was a very steady wind at altitude...

Happy Easter to you and yours too hon...

Last edited:
Another awesome video!

Just quick question you shot in 60 FPS ? Was that to slow the video down ?
Loved the close fly past and descent down the structure

Just quick question you shot in 60 FPS ? Was that to slow the video down ?
Loved the close fly past and descent down the structure
Thanks...

I shoot with the AIR3 at 60fps as it gives me the option to slow the footage down or to ensure I have the best quality I can get - I can see a difference in the smoothness between 30 and 60fps, so I prefer the smoother 60fps... Yes, it limits the shutter speed, but tbh I haven't needed to worry about that, the footage always seems to come out with no noise and looks as good as I can get it...

Thanks...

I shoot with the AIR3 at 60fps as it gives me the option to slow the footage down or to ensure I have the best quality I can get - I can see a difference in the smoothness between 30 and 60fps, so I prefer the smoother 60fps... Yes, it limits the shutter speed, but tbh I haven't needed to worry about that, the footage always seems to come out with no noise and looks as good as I can get it...
I like to fly close to my subject which often involves fast moving volumes of water but I shoot in 4K 30 FPS
Result a continuous battle with stutters so I might try 60 fps
I also like to slow water down see video
Again this was slowed from 30 while 60 maybe better ! What are the downsides ?

I have registered my Air 3 in the EU so taking it to Valencia with me this week ! Will see what I can get 😎
Will try 60 fps to see if I get smoother waves

I like to fly close to my subject which often involves fast moving volumes of water but I shoot in 4K 30 FPS
Result a continuous battle with stutters so I might try 60 fps
I also like to slow water down see video
Again this was slowed from 30 while 60 maybe better ! What are the downsides ?

The only downside is that you can't use as long a shutter speed... I flew the Museum of Island Life on Skye in October, using the AIR3 only a few weeks after buying it, and it was extremely windy, so my flight was done at some speed, when I got home to edit it the turns and overflights were too fast, so I slowed the frame rate to 3ofps, and it was perfect... If you didn't know I don't think you could tell...

I have registered my Air 3 in the EU so taking it to Valencia with me this week ! Will see what I can get 😎
Will try 60 fps to see if I get smoother waves
Some brave flying with the water and some smooth work, I like the almost abstract nature of some of those shots...

I am still learning a lot from advanced flyers like yourself
Just had a static quick look and the Drone offers 30 48 ???? 50 60 ! Not sure why the 48/50 being so close

I am still learning a lot from advanced flyers like yourself
Just had a static quick look and the Drone offers 30 48 ???? 50 60 ! Not sure why the 48/50 being so close
Lol, thanks, I only started flying drones 18 months ago, so still find folks labeling me as advanced strange, but thanks for the compliment...

48 and 50fps are doubles of the often-used 24 and 25 fps, both are used by different countries for TV broadcasts, pretty much a historical legacy, whereas most modern TVs are capable of rendering at 60 to 120fps, which reduces flicker and makes for smoother movement - same as you get on video games - so if the notion is available, then why not use it - even if it means doubling rendering times and the data involved :)...

For me, I tend to use 59.94 (60) and 29.97 (30) as they are the native frame rate I have the drones set to record...

Suzanne - One word - Spectacular!! You made the Blackpool Tower a star!
@ 1:40 you not only were orbiting, you added the gimbal up to catch the sun glinting off the windows. Nicely done! @ 4:00, catching the tower in the sunrise, but also its reflection in the wet sand @ the beach. The music fit like a glove.
I think you might have a future @ this drone thing. ;) ;)

• Love
Suzanne - One word - Spectacular!! You made the Blackpool Tower a star!
@ 1:40 you not only were orbiting, you added the gimbal up to catch the sun glinting off the windows. Nicely done! @ 4:00, catching the tower in the sunrise, but also its reflection in the wet sand @ the beach. The music fit like a glove.
I think you might have a future @ this drone thing. ;) ;)
Thanks, glad it was enjoyed... Yup, I was happy with the footage and the edit came together well, I have to admit to enjoying myself, and although I can still see ways to improve, I am becoming more confident in what I am producing...

As to a future in drones, well as a hobby definitely, but making the transition to pro is something I am not sure is on the cards anytime soon...

Thanks, glad it was enjoyed... Yup, I was happy with the footage and the edit came together well, I have to admit to enjoying myself, and although I can still see ways to improve, I am becoming more confident in what I am producing...

As to a future in drones, well as a hobby definitely, but making the transition to pro is something I am not sure is on the cards anytime soon...
Whatever the direction your future in drones is....you got this!

• Love
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078