DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 A Thrilling and Surprising Desert Rock Climb, Temple Mountain, Utah

Karlewski

Reactions
This one was near my mental limits, brittle desert sandstone with huge exposure made this climb tough not to get psyched out, even on a fairly short & easy free solo. I did not employ the 360 camera during that section of climbing, focus on climbing and safety was my only concern for the final short head wall. That said, the approach scramble was outstanding and the summit was very cool and an epic drone flight location but, I will not be doing climbs like that in the future, not on sandstone. . . . too much objective danger.

Oh gawd, will have to watch this on the desktop screen later, sounds too epic for this phone screen !!
Look forward to it.

I recall one such ascent in a cliff climb at a local shoreline, very garbage loose packed dirt weak sandstone.
Got to the top and really admonished myself quietly for putting myself (and others) in such an exposed position.

Edit - Great footage all round, nice editing with voice recording and music.

I'm glad you are rethinking your climbing, that was hairy, going down probably a lot more so.
One small mistake, very little chance of living on some of that.

Did you use a rope (short rappelling) at all coming off that ultimate peak ?
I don't think you had any rope / kit with you looking at bag size.

What's your emergency plan / kit ?
A fall (where you are still conscious) ?
Snakebite ?
Do you carry a PLB ?

Last edited:
This one was near my mental limits, brittle desert sandstone with huge exposure made this climb tough not to get psyched out, even on a fairly short & easy free solo. I did not employ the 360 camera during that section of climbing, focus on climbing and safety was my only concern for the final short head wall. That said, the approach scramble was outstanding and the summit was very cool and an epic drone flight location bu
Hello Karl,
Sandstone sounds very dangerous, you can't find a proper grip there, can you? Anyway, I liked your new video again very much! The landscape is simply stunning and the many variations of the rock formations always leave me amazed. ?
Thanks for the new very interesting video. And as always, I'm looking forward to your new adventure. Take good care of yourself and stay safe and sound! ?

cheers, Paul

This one was near my mental limits, brittle desert sandstone with huge exposure made this climb tough not to get psyched out, even on a fairly short & easy free solo. I did not employ the 360 camera during that section of climbing, focus on climbing and safety was my only concern for the final short head wall. That said, the approach scramble was outstanding and the summit was very cool and an epic drone flight location but, I will not be doing climbs like that in the future, not on sandstone. . . . too much objective danger.
What else can I say? One amazing experience after another. Thanks again for showing us things that we would otherwise never experience. Amazing views, amazing climbing, and photography.

Dale
Miami

I do carry a satellite transmitter, and thought about it while stepping over the vertical edge for the down climb. I won't be choosing any class 5 climbs on poor rock ever again. You can grab and grip it when a decent edge has not eroded away but it's a bad idea. On the way down I did grab a finger tip hold knowing it was suspect and it did rip off in my hand as I hopped off the face. Non issue since I was expecting it. . . Soft sand stone is best climbed with pushing motions and only pulling on big stuff, broad large edges. Even then, the soft stuff can shed sand under your hand making it more slippery. I won't be doing any more exposed climbing on that stuff. Little 10 ft drop, OK maybe, but that's it.

My next video the climbing was just as exposed but the rock was totally sound and well traveled, complete none issue, though I still treat it with respect and suspicion alway, even when on a rope. I took ropes for this one too since it had a HUGE overhanging face on one side to rap off. I am super happy the way this video is coming out, it was a special morning. This whole spring has been super wet and rainy, lots of snow on the high mountains driving me crazy waiting for the rock to become exposed but, I've been doning lots of local training hikes and climbs and boy is it nice, fog amount the valleys, lots of cool birds and tons of flowers. Even the damp reddish rocks look exceptional in the deep green foliage. Seems whatever the conditions, if you know where to look there's something special to find. . .

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Your video started my day with a huge smile. Heading back to Utah in a couple of weeks, where the landscape seems to never give up on spectacular.

Thanks for sharing such a personal journey. Your handheld and drone shots gave an excellent sense of size, scale, and difficulty.

Your adventure videos are captivating and the narration is just super. I love Colorado, I lived in Aspen for the 1969 season and then finagled an assignment to
fort Carson in 1972-73. Almost stayed there, sometimes I wish I did. Your combination of hand-held and drone video really sets the scene and tells the story. Thanks for sharing.

I often research all the cool places I could go and, unless it is during a freezing, snowy, and or windy winter here in Co/Utah, I end up finding something really cool within a few hours drive. . . or less. I am seriously thinking about some southern hemisphere or equatorial adventure this coming winter though. . . I so much more enjoy climbing dry rock in above freezing temps. . . It's what I'm trained for as well. . . The cold and cameras are great friends either. . . LOL I've got many places all picked out for this season but, OMG has it rained and snowed a ton here this spring. Must wait a bit longer. . .

Just watched it again. Absolutely stunning!

Thanks for the compliment my friend. As Gdadd said, the Utah desert is amazing and keeps on surprising, the only one different but comparably AWESOME was Red Rocks Canyon near Las Vegas. Those colors were truly unreal. . . I have several more desert videos if your interested, and huge Colorado mountain climbs as well. I was really happy with the drone flying in the robber's roost video and the Chute canyon one. . . They are posted here and on my YouTube channel if you'd like to see more. . . Just got a mini 2 for quick deployment in the Adventure Zone! I am super excited!

Reactions: GDadd
Amazing scenery even for this dweller of green lands.

Bearing in mind I have never been anywhere where snakes etc. are a concern, what do you do when climbing in such places to check for venomous creatures before using hand holds etc.?
The youtube video of one of the snake photographer nutcases comes to mind, where he is climbing something and, camera in hand, literally comes face to face with an angry rattler, xK $'s of camera hit the ground below.

It looks like much of that mountain is 'just' a pile of blocks one on top of the other, is it that badly fractured? When you see the different? rock types does it ever prompt you to look up the geological history of the place?

Once in my career did I almost grab a rattle snake. I was scrambling fast and just happened to focus on this particular hand hold before grabbing it since it looked like it might be loose and there he was! They are frequently seen on Sunlit rocks in temps between about 45-70F trying to warm up. . .Just a little guy but supposedly more poisonous. . . Luck be with me. . . I do see them regularly. . . 2-4 times a year and unknowingly walk/bike by god knows how many, LOL. The end of my Seal Rock video has a big cool loud angry one. . .
That San Rafael rock is SUPER SKETCHY, I think the most dangerous I've ever been on. Much of it is soft sand stone sediment that was lifted with a tectonic collision and now weak and crumbling.
In a simple way, I am curious about the rock formations, basic formation history AND how the composition affects climbing, sand stone is cracks and slopers, young granite is sharp and grippy, much more on many rock types. . . The hardness and the way it is lifted also affects how and what kind of holds generally form, incut, pockets. . .
I did make this video showcasing the MACRO scene of the San Rafael Swell and did some very basic research for it. Amazing formations! Some of my other videos really showcase the slots and towers, like Temple Mnt. . . .

Once in my career did I almost grab a rattle snake. I was scrambling fast and just happened to focus on this particular hand hold before grabbing it since it looked like it might be loose and there he was! They are frequently seen on Sunlit rocks in temps between about 45-70F trying to warm up. . .Just a little guy but supposedly more poisonous. . . Luck be with me. . . I do see them regularly. . . 2-4 times a year and unknowingly walk/bike by god knows how many, LOL. The end of my Seal Rock video has a big cool loud angry one. . .
That San Rafael rock is SUPER SKETCHY, I think the most dangerous I've ever been on. Much of it is soft sand stone sediment that was lifted with a tectonic collision and now weak and crumbling.
In a simple way, I am curious about the rock formations, basic formation history AND how the composition affects climbing, sand stone is cracks and slopers, young granite is sharp and grippy, much more on many rock types. . . The hardness and the way it is lifted also affects how and what kind of holds generally form, incut, pockets. . .
I did make this video showcasing the MACRO scene of the San Rafael Swell and did some very basic research for it. Amazing formations! Some of my other videos really showcase the slots and towers, like Temple Mnt. . . .
A beautiful film! Enjoyed the narration, the videography, and the music. The drone opens up such great perspectives for us lifelong photographers!

Right now, I am completing a week of fly fishing in Montana, with a dip into the Beartooth Highway in Wyoming. We are fishing different gorgeous rivers every day, with long drives into the wilderness to get to some of themm

There is so much beauty and drone and photo material out here I want to fly more than fish! I have amassed tons of video and stills to be my next major project. Not much time to read all of the forum posts but I definitely wouldn't bypass your posts which I always look forward to.

Dale
Miami

Man that sounds awesome. Did you get to fly? I assume at a few places at least! I’m excited to see!
I took a couple cool adventures before surgery and they were surprisingly good and painless. It’s been 9 days since surgery and I’m at the doctors waiting to take off the bandages! It feels way more mobile then expected, healing fast!

Man that sounds awesome. Did you get to fly? I assume at a few places at least! I’m excited to see!
I took a couple cool adventures before surgery and they were surprisingly good and painless. It’s been 9 days since surgery and I’m at the doctors waiting to take off the bandages! It feels way more mobile then expected, healing fast!
Absolutely
Beautiful flights over the Beartooths
An amazing man range rivals some of Switzerland
I am doing final day of photography
and flying them back to Miami to compose a video
Heel fast
Dale
Miami

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics