DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A very simple question from a newbie.

warpfactor55

Reactions
Good evening folks. I almost feel like apologising for this question before I ask it. I am about to buy my first drone. it will either be a MP or MPP. For my project I don't need the MP2. But I don't use an iPhone. My mobile is for calls only and in any event I would prefer a larger screen so as to enable me to see things in greater detail. And so my question is : what might be the most appropriate tablet for me to use ( for some reason I don't fancy the goggles). I am currently looking at a mini iPad4 but that adds a lot to the price of the droneand while price isn't the deciding factor I will never use it for anything else other than with the drone. I know I could hook such a thing (an iPad) to my router and use it round the home but I am strictly a desktop pc guy. Thanks in advance for any help and/or guidance.

I am currently looking at a mini iPad4 but that adds a lot to the price of the droneand while price isn't the deciding factor I will never use it for anything else other than with the drone. I know I could hook such a thing (an iPad) to my router and use it round the home but I am strictly a desktop pc guy.
The DJI app is very demanding and needs a fast processor and lots of RAM to run properly.
An underperforming tablet would cause problems.
The iPad mini 4 is a good tablet if you wanted something with an Apple flavour.
In Android, the Huawei M3 or M5 are probably the best flying tablets.

Reactions: warpfactor55
Good evening folks. I almost feel like apologising for this question before I ask it. I am about to buy my first drone. it will either be a MP or MPP. For my project I don't need the MP2. But I don't use an iPhone. My mobile is for calls only and in any event I would prefer a larger screen so as to enable me to see things in greater detail. And so my question is : what might be the most appropriate tablet for me to use ( for some reason I don't fancy the goggles). I am currently looking at a mini iPad4 but that adds a lot to the price of the droneand while price isn't the deciding factor I will never use it for anything else other than with the drone. I know I could hook such a thing (an iPad) to my router and use it round the home but I am strictly a desktop pc guy. Thanks in advance for any help and/or guidance.
I was a desktop only guy too. Then I got an ipad for a gift. I find that I use it 100 times more than I thought I would. So there is a good chance you will have a change of heart after you have a tablet.

Good evening folks. what might be the most appropriate tablet for me to use while price isn't the deciding factor I will never use it for anything else other than with the drone. .

I would just shop around for a used ChrystalSki 5.5 inch monitor. I've seen and bought them for $350- $400.
You won't beat the picture and it's made just for that drone.
You won't have a connection problems like you might with a tablet. Software is already loaded at the factory.

The DJI app is very demanding and needs a fast processor and lots of RAM to run properly.
An underperforming tablet would cause problems.
The iPad mini 4 is a good tablet if you wanted something with an Apple flavour.
In Android, the Huawei M3 or M5 are probably the best flying tablets.
Thank you for that Meta4. I'll Google that and have a look.

I was a desktop only guy too. Then I got an ipad for a gift. I find that I use it 100 times more than I thought I would. So there is a good chance you will have a change of heart after you have a tablet.
Thank you ac0j, I have wondered if that might happen. But my Wife has an iPad and frankly I can't stand the thing. I do quite a bit or video editing (Cyberlink Power Director) and use Photoshop quite a bit and so I like a keyboard, a mouse, (both wireless) and lots of storage. And one other thing that I think is quite important. I have to come into the office to use my pc. If I buy a mini iPad I know I will probably spend even more time on the 'net and that has to be monitored carefully.

Reactions: Yooper2nc
I would just shop around for a used ChrystalSki 5.5 inch monitor. I've seen and bought them for $350- $400.
You won't beat the picture and it's made just for that drone.
You won't have a connection problems like you might with a tablet. Software is already loaded at the factory.
Thank you Possums. Your answer is exactly why I asked the question in the first place. Very helpful. I have seen ChrystalSky when researching my query and I will go back and read about it again.

EDIT. Crikey, that's a bit expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlStarke
G’day wf55. I am currently using an iPhone 5i, but the picture is small which makes composition problematic. But currently I am travelling and I like the portability.

I also have an iPad mini 2, which runs djigo4 just fine and will probably be my first choice when I get back home. The mini 2 is a pretty old device and I reckon you could pick one up for peanuts.

Interesting thread, will be following.

G’day wf55. I am currently using an iPhone 5i, but the picture is small which makes composition problematic. But currently I am travelling and I like the portability.

I also have an iPad mini 2, which runs djigo4 just fine and will probably be my first choice when I get back home. The mini 2 is a pretty old device and I reckon you could pick one up for peanuts.

Interesting thread, will be following.
Hello basophil. That's interesting because it was also my take on an iPhone. But I was under the impression that if changing to a mini iPad that it had to be either a mini 4 or 5. Can someone tell us if a mini 2 will also work please ? Thank you.

If using only the Mavic Pro, then I believe the Ipad Mini 2 will work fine. I have one for sale but unfortunately I am living across the pond. If you want to be sure that the tablet will still work, when you upgrade to a Mavic 2, then the iPad 2 will not work with the Mavic 2. Therefore, if you are thinking about being ahead of the curve and not just wasting money, I would suggest you go with a new(er) Mini iPad, so the 4 would be the cheapest choice. Yes the Crystal Sky is expensive, but it is the best thing out there for the Mavic and you can shop around and may find another one at a reasonable price, or not. So the iPad Mini will be your best bet for the least amount of problems being connected and avoiding screen crashes etc.

What ever you use, when you use it, be sure to always turn the tablet to Airplane Mode. Ohh and you do not need an iPad with Cellular, just the cheaper Wi-Fi version will be fine, but get at least a 32gb, 64gb would be ideal.

If using only the Mavic Pro, then I believe the Ipad Mini 2 will work fine. I have one for sale but unfortunately I am living across the pond. If you want to be sure that the tablet will still work, when you upgrade to a Mavic 2, then the iPad 2 will not work with the Mavic 2. Therefore, if you are thinking about being ahead of the curve and not just wasting money, I would suggest you go with a new(er) Mini iPad, so the 4 would be the cheapest choice. Yes the Crystal Sky is expensive, but it is the best thing out there for the Mavic and you can shop around and may find another one at a reasonable price, or not. So the iPad Mini will be your best bet for the least amount of problems being connected and avoiding screen crashes etc.

What ever you use, when you use it, be sure to always turn the tablet to Airplane Mode. Ohh and you do not need an iPad with Cellular, just the cheaper Wi-Fi version will be fine, but get at least a 32gb, 64gb would be ideal.
Hey - so where were you guys when I asked about iPad mini 4 last week.... all I wanted to know was about whether the iPad mini had to have cellular for google maps or do you have to load maps of the area when connected to WiFi... from what I am reading here... No..?? When I posted it seemed like no one understood what I was asking...

If you want to have live streaming maps then yes, you need cellular. If you simply have Wi-Fi but wish to have the maps, then cache the maps when at home, for where you intend to fly, then use the stored maps when you are out flying.

If you want to have live streaming maps then yes, you need cellular. If you simply have Wi-Fi but wish to have the maps, then cache the maps when at home, for where you intend to fly, then use the stored maps when you are out flying.
But - can I not tether it to my iPhone for live maps..?

But - can I not tether it to my iPhone for live maps..?
Ohh yes, of course you can make your phone a hotspot and do it that way, if you really need live maps, I never do. But then you will have a bunch of things all running at once and using up batteries on each, but if that's okay with you then yes, go that route.

Thank you Cymruflyer for that very analytical and helpful post. All points taken. I have a project in mind that I want to undertake and I don't think that a Mavic2 is required. I could do what I want to do with Google Earth really but there is the copyright issue if I used that and I think I can make it a lot more interesting with my own video. Thanks again.

Just for the record I will not be needing maps. My project is going to be all about the immediate rural vacinity in which I live and where I have worked all my life which I probably know better than anyone else. It is probably not going to cover any more than a 5 mile radius and is all about the rural scene. And I am old enough to have seen tremendous changes and I want to relate my experiences and memories to others before it's too late.

Just for the record I will not be needing maps. My project is going to be all about the immediate rural vacinity in which I live and where I have worked all my life which I probably know better than anyone else. It is probably not going to cover any more than a 5 mile radius and is all about the rural scene. And I am old enough to have seen tremendous changes and I want to relate my experiences and memories to others before it's too late.

From another "Old" guy and 30-year former helicopter pilot. Good for you. Preserve our history. Post your site so we can enjoy.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69