DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A week in wilderness

Btw (could be an other thread) it seems that these batteries drain themselves quite fast without any use. At least when the temperature drops down. Any take on that? How do you keep your batteries in subzero temperatures? Talking about Celsius degrees but that would be below 32F I guess.

Any good recommendations? I have a few for charging phones etc. but those Mavic batteries need more juice.

But what's the point of carrying the energy in other batteries and then having to transfer it, at well under 100% efficiency, to the Mavic batteries? The only way that makes sense is if the other batteries are significantly cheaper, per Ahr, and not significantly heavier than the Mavic packs, and I don't think that's the case.

But what's the point of carrying the energy in other batteries and then having to transfer it, at well under 100% efficiency, to the Mavic batteries? The only way that makes sense is if the other batteries are significantly cheaper, per Ahr, and not significantly heavier than the Mavic packs, and I don't think that's the case.

If not, then you have a good point. Is it so though? Are the Mavic’s “intelligent” batteries the lowest possible weight option? I’m just asking because I don’t know. To me it seems that I can carry a lot more amps on my Nikon camera batteries with less weight though. I might be totally wrong. And then if an intelligent battery cost me 139 € a piece, is that the best price/amp/weight ratio to me?

If not, then you have a good point. Is it so though? Are the Mavic’s “intelligent” batteries the lowest possible weight option? I’m just asking because I don’t know. To me it seems that I can carry a lot more amps on my Nikon camera batteries with less weight though. I might be totally wrong. And then if an intelligent battery cost me 139 € a piece, is that the best price/amp/weight ratio to me?

That's a very good question. Part of the high cost of the Mavic batteries is that they have to be able to deliver tens of amps and still be as light as possible. It may be possible to find high-capacity batteries built without the high-current constraint, but I would guess they will be heavier. I think that you must be misreading your camera batteries - they are typically in the 1 - 2 Ahr range. The Mavic 2 batteries are 40 Ahr.

That's a very good question. Part of the high cost of the Mavic batteries is that they have to be able to deliver tens of amps and still be as light as possible. It may be possible to find high-capacity batteries built without the high-current constraint, but I would guess they will be heavier. I think that you must be misreading your camera batteries - they are typically in the 1 - 2 Ahr range. The Mavic 2 batteries are 40 Ahr.

Thanks! I reckon there is no shortcut here :) I just carry as many extra batteries as I can!

And no, I’m not misreading the batteries. I know their capacities. I was just wondering how come Mavic batteries loose power without them being used. Once charged my Nikon lithium’s hold the charge for months. Maybe years, haven’t tried. But Mavic batteries seem to have half the charge after being stored for couple of weeks without use.

Thanks! I reckon there is no shortcut here :) I just carry as many extra batteries as I can!

And no, I’m not misreading the batteries. I know their capacities. I was just wondering how come Mavic batteries loose power without them being used. Once charged my Nikon lithium’s hold the charge for months. Maybe years, haven’t tried. But Mavic batteries seem to have half the charge after being stored for couple of weeks without use.

Not doubting you (well maybe a little bit) but I'm really curious - can you post a link to camera batteries in the 40 Ahr range?

The Mavic batteries loses charge because they have an automatic self-discharge mechanism in their firmware. It is very bad for the battery chemistry of these compact high-current batteries to be stored at full charge (or very low charge). The slow self-discharge via an internal resistor starts at 10 days after charge and takes them down to around 60%.

Reactions: ff22
Not doubting you (well maybe a little bit) but I'm really curious - can you post a link to camera batteries in the 40 Ahr range?

The Mavic batteries loses charge because they have an automatic self-discharge mechanism in their firmware. It is very bad for the battery chemistry of these compact high-current batteries to be stored at full charge (or very low charge). The slow self-discharge via an internal resistor starts at 10 days after charge and takes them down to around 60%.

Guess something gets lost in translation. My Nikon batteries are ~2 mAh give or take. Mavic batteries are in totally different league in what they store. The power consumption of these devices is in totally different too, of course. So I’m not talking about the capacity but how different batteries lose their juice even when not being used.

And thanks for explaining why the mavic batteries discharge without any use. Makes sense. I think I understand it now.

All in all I reckon I’m best off getting as many mavic batteries as I can carry, and use them without storing them too long!

Reactions: sar104
There goes my juggling act!!!

Exactly. That’s why I don’t want to carry extra Mavic batteries with me. You understand what it takes to carry three (minimum) chainsaws to the wilderness. And It wouldn’t be that bad but there are those rakes to carry too!

Reactions: sar104
Exactly. That’s why I don’t want to carry extra Mavic batteries with me. You understand what it takes to carry three (minimum) chainsaws to the wilderness. And It wouldn’t be that bad but there are those rakes to carry too!

Just leave the chainsaws at home. All you need are the rakes - those make the best forests.

Reactions: henrim
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake