DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A2 CofC Changes

@jnatt yes ,you could be right the GVC is more of a direct replacement for the current PFCO which ends soon ,the A2 C of C will let you do a lot of what the current PFCO can do ,as long as it can be accomplished in the open category ,even with legacy drones like the larger mavics and phantoms ,you will only be able to fly those under the new rules if you have a A2 C of C for the next two years ,then they will all revert to the A3 group of restrictions

A2CoC is likely to reduce the need for GVC/PfCO for a lot of commercial work and in doing so make it a *lot* cheaper.
Even the renewals for the latter are hundreds of pounds a year and under the new rulings a lot of work that previously needed that level can be done on an A2CoC instead.

Obviously the extra permissions, bolt ons and things like potential BLVOS are going to be the mean reason people do a GVC but the market is going to be a lot less.

The money involved is ludicrous and always has been.

A2CoC also allows people to use their current drones for 2 more years by which time its pretty certain real type certified models will be available.
I'd expect a glut of new, compliant drones rolled out next summer.

the changes to the classification of drones having a C rating has been one of the main reasons i have not been in the market for the mini 2 or MA2 ,my current drones are fine for the sort of flying i do ,so the next new drone i purchase will have to be a C2 rated drone

Im waiting for the probably-will-exist mavic 3.
M2 is fine for photos, touch and go for video. I couldnt step down in sensor size and quality unfortunately.
Fairly sure DJI have a series of drones pretty much ready to go but holding out for the new rules to come in and winter season to end. They pretty much have to if they want to sell any from next year.

Reactions: old man mavic
@jnatt yes ,you could be right the GVC is more of a direct replacement for the current PFCO which ends soon ,the A2 C of C will let you do a lot of what the current PFCO can do ,as long as it can be accomplished in the open category ,even with legacy drones like the larger mavics and phantoms ,you will only be able to fly those under the new rules if you have a A2 C of C for the next two years ,then they will all revert to the A3 group of restrictions
I expect you are right.. fortunately I have a MM1 and MA1 so both under 500g and can fly Legacy drones in A1 which gives some amazing freedoms for a couple of years..

I phoned the CAA today on the drone line but the person I spoke with had absolutely no idea what I was on about so no further forward. Just need to hope for some calm dry weather so I can get the 2 hours flight time in.

Considering the weather forecast for the next couple of weeks, that could be the only way to fly! Think I'll pass on that one though considering the damage that could be caused ? 2 hrs isn't a long time but at this time of year it will be a struggle to get it done in 1 day even with 4 batteries.

I'm booked in for the A2CofC exam on Monday and have noticed today that the Practical Flight Training Guide on the training website is a newer version than the one I printed and have been working to. It now contains the following:
"Candidates with no previous Unmanned Aircraft experience must achieve a minimum of 8 hours flight time to be validated as competent. Candidates with previous Unmanned Aircraft experience (in excess of 8 hours) must submit a minimum of 2 hours flight time in the past 3 months together with evidence of their previous experience".

Hopefully the weather will be kind tomorrow and I can get some flying in!

as far as the self declaration is concerned , there was no place on the one i filled in asking about my total flying hours, or that i had to do a minimum of two hours in the last three months ,this only applies if you are doing the GVC ,the A2 Cof C ,does not require any formal record keeping using a flight log, there is a course bundle that includes both the A CofC and GVC which will be similar to the old PfCO so it seems that some RAE use the same form for both

I just had to sign a disclaimer/self-certification and send to the training provider which they'll keep on record in case of audit or request.
There was no formal requirement for logs or validation - its down to personal honesty.

PfCO/GVC is different there its a formal (and legal) requirement.

On my self declaration I have to confirm I have completed all the elements and enter date, aircraft, location, flight time and cumulative flight time for all my flights. I also have to submit evidence of the flights which is either a screen shot of my flight records or a third-party logbook report. The latest version of the Practical Flight Training Guide issued by my RAE is dated 3 December.

Reactions: mattgod69
I'm booked in for the A2CofC exam on Monday and have noticed today that the Practical Flight Training Guide on the training website is a newer version than the one I printed and have been working to. It now contains the following:
"Candidates with no previous Unmanned Aircraft experience must achieve a minimum of 8 hours flight time to be validated as competent. Candidates with previous Unmanned Aircraft experience (in excess of 8 hours) must submit a minimum of 2 hours flight time in the past 3 months together with evidence of their previous experience".

Hopefully the weather will be kind tomorrow and I can get some flying in!
I think I could probably assume you are doing the course with the same provider I used as there seems to be some confusion as to whether it is A2 CofC or GVC. I have been checking through the week and I am still unable to find any such requirement for A2 CofC.
As far as the Flight Training Guide is concerned that is what happened to me. I was working to one version and when my practical assessment was returned as not suitable and I questioned it they enclosed a link containing the new version.

I'm checking with my RAE to see why they have updated the A2CofC document but I guess if the CAA are not specifying any requirements it is being left up to the RAE to decide what they think is acceptable. Having checked I'm only 10 minutes shy of the 8 hours anyway. I looked into the GVC flight test requirements and used those for my training regime and, being new to droning, don't think I would have become confident in much less than 8 hours anyway.

In no way am I dis-crediting the provider of the course as like you I feel that the more practice you get, the safer you should be. It was just a bit of a downer thinking I had completed everything and then the goalposts suddenly sprouted legs. Still I aim to get the extra time that I need completed this week. Good luck for your exam.Thumbswayup

The 8th edition of 722 mentions GVC currency page 191 but its brief. No mention of A2CoC although ill admit i havent poured through the thrilling 200+ pages of exciting detail in there...
Page 138 in Cap 722 Section 4.2.3.1.2 A2 subcategory

"
Because of the additional risks involved, remote pilots must successfully pass an additional theoretical examination to obtain an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC)."

Page 138 in Cap 722 Section 4.2.3.1.2 A2 subcategory

"
Because of the additional risks involved, remote pilots must successfully pass an additional theoretical examination to obtain an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 CofC)."
Referring to the assessed or logged hours as opposed to A2CoC theory.

I was about to post on this topic- I signed up to do the A2CofC a while back with a well known provider and saw their post about the updated regulations on their site last week...
And I was also confused- as there's a form to fill in with a note for each flight, as well as uploading logs. Since getting my MA2 in the summer, my flight total is just on the 8 hours, but to fill in the form with 60 odd flight log details seems onerous...?
The other observation I've made is a lot of people are posting in a UK MA2 FB group saying they've passed (although generally with different course providers) and make no mention of this... and this is from people who have posted pictures and videos that are probably not within the current rules (such as over the town they live in) - presumably they didn't fail so did they perhaps remove the logs from those flights? Or is it that the course-provider I'm with are just a lot more rigorous in their checks?

Reactions: mattgod69
it is still not acceptable to fly over congested areas, industrial or community areas like schools ,or other public institutions within 150m of them so as the height limit for drones is 120m then doing so would not be allowed ,these rules are being relaxed under the new rules if you have a c rated drone and the A2 C of C

Or is it that the course-provider I'm with are just a lot more rigorous in their checks?
Not sure its rigorous, its excessive for A2CoC and not required.
I suspect they're trying to re-use the logs, forms and system they had set up for PfCO and apply it to A2CoC.

Most providers just quite legally allow self-certification.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d