DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A2 cofc to the open category

dilby

Reactions
Hi all - in 2019 I got my A2 cofc and planned to use it lots, but unfortunately a trio of a family tragedy/covid and the personal illness has meant I’m only now getting back into things. I’m aware that the whole system has been replaced and I’m trying to find out if I can continue with what I could do before under the open category?

It seems to me that as long as I keep line of sight and under 400ft (as before) and don’t fly over people then I’m fine, even for what they class as ‘light commercial operations’. If that’s the case then it’s frustrating I paid for the a2 cofc but I wasn’t to know!

Thanks!

@dilby hi fellow flyer the A2 C of C lasts for 5 years form the date you passed ,and after the end of 2022 you will need it to be able to fly any A2 class of drone in the open category ,unfortunately drones which we now fly will be relegated to A3 section of the open category
after the transitional period ends, these rules do not at the moment apply to drones in the up to 250 g class in the open category ,as far as commercial operations are concerned then as long as the flight can be conducted in the open category ,then that is fine ,its only when this is not possible ,and then the flight has to be done in the specific category which requires a GVC certificate ,which is similar in scope to the old PFCO which it has replaced ,just remember that having the A2 C,of C now, allows you to fly with less separation distances in the A2 class of the open category than what would have been possible without it

Reactions: twickers14
That is such a great summary above I have nothing to add. I am going to give it a go if only to say I’ve got it!! £100 later!!!

Reactions: old man mavic
@dilby hi fellow flyer the A2 C of C lasts for 5 years form the date you passed ,and after the end of 2022 you will need it to be able to fly any A2 class of drone in the open category ,unfortunately drones which we now fly will be relegated to A3 section of the open category
after the transitional period ends, these rules do not at the moment apply to drones in the up to 250 g class in the open category ,as far as commercial operations are concerned then as long as the flight can be conducted in the open category ,then that is fine ,its only when this is not possible ,and then the flight has to be done in the specific category which requires a GVC certificate ,which is similar in scope to the old PFCO which it has replaced ,just remember that having the A2 C,of C now, allows you to fly with less separation distances in the A2 class of the open category than what would have been possible without it

Thanks for the reply - it's so bloody confusing. Am I right in saying though that anyone this year could have been flying in the open without the A2 cofc?

As for now, does anything change for me in terms of permissions with local airports? For example I have a potential gig coming up which is inside frz of small airstrip - middle of field kind of thing which probably hasn't seen any air activity for a while. Prior I would have had to call air traffic control, get permission and provide risk assessments and planned flight paths if requested. Is this still the case?

And I'm assuming nothing has changed in terms of insurance, and we still need commercial cover? (I used to use Flock)

Thanks

Last edited:
@dilby the legacy drones such as the MPP or M2P ,have been able to fly in the open category under the old separation rules which where in force before the changes came in this of course is due to end from the first of January 2022 ,and the rules around flying in restricted airspace still apply as before ,if the flight can be done safely in the open category ,then all is as before but if it can not, then it has to be done in the specific category with all that that entails
all flights are now based on risk and the weight of the drone being used
even if you are just a hobby flyer it is advisable to have some form of third party insurance cover
in case your drone causes damage to someone or something joining a organisation such as the BMFA or FPV UK is a good way to get that cover as part of membership

Reactions: manc54
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet