DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Abandoned Village of Tobes (Spain)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eutx9795

Reactions
Tobes is a beautiful village situated on a small hill, belonging to the municipality of Sienes, province of Guadalajara (Spain). In earlier times it belonged to Villacorza.

About twenty houses, all built with tuff stone, made up the village. About eight ovens came to be in the village for the preparation of bread.
They never had electric light, the oil and petroleum lamps, as well as the oil lanterns or lanterns were their sources of illumination.

Oak wood mainly and to a lesser extent oak was used to make the fire with which to heat the kitchens on cold winter days.
Their lands were dedicated to the cultivation of wheat, barley, chickpeas and lentils mainly, having flocks of sheep in relation to livestock. Sheep that were dedicated to the breeding of the lamb, to be sold to butchers of Sigüenza, Guadalajara and Almazán. A trader from Valdelcubo appeared periodically by Tobes to buy lambs.

Between two and three pigs were used to kill in each house in order to have meat for the whole year.
To grind the grain they went to the mills that were in Valdelcubo (three) in the course of the river of the Berral.
They also had to go to Sienes to request from the blacksmith any matter related to this trade.

The priest (Don Matías) rode on a mare every week (other times every two weeks) from the village of Sienes to officiate at the religious services. He said Mass first in Querencia, then in Tobes and finally in Sienes.

The doctor came from the village of Imón.

From Sienes the practitioner did it.

The postman came from Riba de Santiuste, first on foot and then on motorbike.

The big feast was the 14th of September in honour of the Virgen de los Dolores. They celebrated for three days, where there was a mass and a procession through the town. It was customary to kill a lamb or a kid to share with family and friends from outside and ended with the dance in the square, animated by musicians from the town of Conquezuela Soriano, with string instruments (guitar, violin and lute).

From Sienes, Villacorza and Querencia were the towns from where the youngest people came to take part in the festival.

On August 28 they had another feast day for St. Augustine and also on the Sunday following Corpus Christi.

The games of cards and the fronton were the basic entertainments of the nozzles in the moments of leisure.

To Sigüenza they generally moved on Wednesdays and Saturdays, which were market days. They used to go walking or with some cavalry. They used four hours to get to the regional capital. They used to buy all kinds of products that were not in Tobes, from fish to utensils or clothes.

For smaller purchases they went to the nearby town of Sienes where there was a shop and they bought rice, wine or sugar among other products.
If they wanted to take the car of line they had to go walking up to La Riba de Santiuste.

Due to the lack of infrastructure (electricity and water), and the search for a better future offered by the big cities, the neighbors went mainly to Madrid, Barcelona, Guadalajara and Sigüenza.

Tobes was left empty in 1973 when Florentino Hervás and María Dolores Rodrigo, who had been living alone in the village for a year, closed their house and left for the nearby town of La Barbolla.

Today a Canadian has bought most of the town's buildings in order to turn it into a rural tourism center, but the matter is currently parked until more favorable times come.

Last edited:
Tobes is a beautiful village situated on a small hill, belonging to the municipality of Sienes, province of Guadalajara (Spain). In earlier times it belonged to Villacorza.

About twenty houses, all built with tuff stone, made up the village. About eight ovens came to be in the village for the preparation of bread.
They never had electric light, the oil and petroleum lamps, as well as the oil lanterns or lanterns were their sources of illumination.

Oak wood mainly and to a lesser extent oak was used to make the fire with which to heat the kitchens on cold winter days.
Their lands were dedicated to the cultivation of wheat, barley, chickpeas and lentils mainly, having flocks of sheep in relation to livestock. Sheep that were dedicated to the breeding of the lamb, to be sold to butchers of Sigüenza, Guadalajara and Almazán. A trader from Valdelcubo appeared periodically by Tobes to buy lambs.

Between two and three pigs were used to kill in each house in order to have meat for the whole year.
To grind the grain they went to the mills that were in Valdelcubo (three) in the course of the river of the Berral.
They also had to go to Sienes to request from the blacksmith any matter related to this trade.

The priest (Don Matías) rode on a mare every week (other times every two weeks) from the village of Sienes to officiate at the religious services. He said Mass first in Querencia, then in Tobes and finally in Sienes.

The big feast was the 14th of September in honour of the Virgen de los Dolores. They celebrated for three days, where there was a mass and a procession through the town. It was customary to kill a lamb or a kid to share with family and friends from outside and ended with the dance in the square, animated by musicians from the town of Conquezuela Soriano, with string instruments (guitar, violin and lute).

From Sienes, Villacorza and Querencia were the towns from where the youngest people came to take part in the festival.

On August 28 they had another feast day for St. Augustine and also on the Sunday following Corpus Christi.

The games of cards and the fronton were the basic entertainments of the nozzles in the moments of leisure.

To Sigüenza they generally moved on Wednesdays and Saturdays, which were market days. They used to go walking or with some cavalry. They used four hours to get to the regional capital. They used to buy all kinds of products that were not in Tobes, from fish to utensils or clothes.

For smaller purchases they went to the nearby town of Sienes where there was a shop and they bought rice, wine or sugar among other products.
If they wanted to take the car of line they had to go walking up to La Riba de Santiuste.

Due to the lack of infrastructure (electricity and water), and the search for a better future offered by the big cities, the neighbors went mainly to Madrid, Barcelona, Guadalajara and Sigüenza.

Tobes was left empty in 1973 when Florentino Hervás and María Dolores Rodrigo, who had been living alone in the village for a year, closed their house and left for the nearby town of La Barbolla.

Today a Canadian has bought most of the town's buildings in order to turn it into a rural tourism center, but the matter is currently parked until more favorable times come.

Thanks for the likes and no comments!! ;);)

Beautiful photography. What a great scenic location! We have a few 'ghost' towns out here in Idaho. You have inspired me to go and photograph them with my drone for a different perspective. I especially like the passes below roof level. I think I would like some of the scenes to be a bit longer in length, but that's just me. I might try some fades between the scenes, too.

By the way, its a holiday over here in the USA so I'm sure you will get more comments when folks come in from their BBQ's and camp-outs. ;)

Are you from this area? Did you have family that used to live there? As a genealogist, your information about the village has the details that I would like to have to put 'flesh on the bones' of my ancestral research. Well done!

Reactions: eutx9795
Great video!

Beautiful photography. What a great scenic location! We have a few 'ghost' towns out here in Idaho. You have inspired me to go and photograph them with my drone for a different perspective. I especially like the passes below roof level. I think I would like some of the scenes to be a bit longer in length, but that's just me. I might try some fades between the scenes, too.

By the way, its a holiday over here in the USA so I'm sure you will get more comments when folks come in from their BBQ's and camp-outs. ;)

Are you from this area? Did you have family that used to live there? As a genealogist, your information about the village has the details that I would like to have to put 'flesh on the bones' of my ancestral research. Well done!
Yes, ghost towns are very nice spots where to shoot. Wishing to watch your video or pics about them.

About the length of the scenes, it's very difficult to make them for every taste so sorry.

Yes, I know it was your national day, 4th of July. I hope to get any comment more, thanks!

No, I'm not from the village/area neither my family, I have to confess that I have made a copy/paste of the text [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12] On YouTube video description /details, it's written the source of the information.

Thank you very much for your time to watch and to write this so beautiful comment.!!!

Yes, ghost towns are very nice spots where to shoot. Wishing to watch your video or pics about them.

About the length of the scenes, it's very difficult to make them for every taste so sorry.

Yes, I know it was your national day, 4th of July. I hope to get any comment more, thanks!

No, I'm not from the village/area neither my family, I have to confess that I have made a copy/paste of the text [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12] On YouTube video description /details, it's written the source of the information.

Thank you very much for your time to watch and to write this so beautiful comment.!!!
My pleasure! I look forward to seeing more videos from you in the future!

Near where I live there are ruins left from a people who moved away about 300 years ago. Most of these are just piles of rubble unless they are in protected alcoves in cliffs. I enjoyed your video very much.

Just special. A place to put on places to visit.
Very beautiful work.
Yes, a ghost town is a very nice place to shoot.

Thanks for watch and comment!!

Beautiful video I love the color and the shooting I assume it was color graded ?

Excellent flying and great edit, congrats!
What is the beautiful music?

Ciao Rob

My pleasure! I look forward to seeing more videos from you in the future!
Fantastic!! but you can now find a lot of videos on my YT channel

Near where I live there are ruins left from a people who moved away about 300 years ago. Most of these are just piles of rubble unless they are in protected alcoves in cliffs. I enjoyed your video very much.
Why don't you try to shoot that ruins and surroundings?

Is nice to know you have enjoyed watching the video. Thanks!!

Nice, subd [emoji4]

Beautiful video I love the color and the shooting I assume it was color graded ?

It was shot on HLG so it doens`t need to color grade, only adjust levels and increase saturation

Thanks for comment!!

Excellent flying and great edit, congrats!
What is the beautiful music?

Ciao Rob

Thanks for so nice comment!!

You have the song info on the details /description of the video on YouTube :

Music by Really Slow Motion
Composer: Roman Odokiy
Track: This Wretched Beast
Album: Kingslayer

Reactions: Jatekman
Thanx, yeah you are right.

Ciao Rob