DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

? about using controller on Multiple Drones

If I bind my RC Pro to my Mavic 3 and my Air2S can I use it between the two drones without binding it all the time?
Unfortunately when you switch from one to another the FW must match the aircraft you are flying. It only takes a brief second or two to bind to the aircraft you want to fly. The controller must load the proper FW in order to connect to the aircraft.

Unfortunately when you switch from one to another the FW must match the aircraft you are flying. It only takes a brief second or two to bind to the aircraft you want to fly. The controller must load the proper FW in order to connect to the aircraft.
If you switch between the RC-N1 and the RC Pro, there is a true binding change required for more than 5 flights on any aircraft. However, the RC Pro can be the bound aircraft for all your aircraft it supports. The RC Pro just needs to be repaired when switching among the aircraft to search for the correct bound aircraft, which runs a small FW change, each time you change the drone flown with the RC Pro, and it also loads the appropriate Fly app settings.

If you switch between the RC-N1 and the RC Pro, there is a true binding change required for more than 5 flights on any aircraft. However, the RC Pro can be the bound aircraft for all your aircraft it supports. The RC Pro just needs to be repaired when switching among the aircraft to search for the correct bound aircraft, which runs a small FW change, each time you change the drone flown with the RC Pro, and it also loads the appropriate Fly app settings.
Yes agreed. I have all the RC’s associated with the three aircraft that are compatible.
Haven’t used them since I have had the RC Pro and is exactly as you say.
Just a simple binding process from one to the other is all that is needed.

Yes agreed. I have all the RC’s associated with the three aircraft that are compatible.
Haven’t used them since I have had the RC Pro and is exactly as you say.
Just a simple binding process from one to the other is all that is needed.
curious:

what is the binding process?

and do you need internet connection because I fly in a lot of remote areas without any internet. No cell phone coverage either

I suspect it's the latter? If that's the case, it seems if DJI is promoting and selling a $1200 controller that costs more than most of their consumer drones, there should definitely be the application flexibility to quickly switch to the correct SW/FW at an entry screen without calling home

Last edited:
Binding and linking are two different things. BJI refers to binding as part of Care Refresh coverage. Linking is drone to controller.

Binding and linking are two different things.
DJI refers to binding as part of Care Refresh coverage.
Linking is drone to controller.
Excellent clarification!

I have been mixing them up, too, along with pairing instead of linking!
However, there is a recent security binding of the aircraft to a specific RC, completely independent of Care Refresh. If you link the drone to a different RC than it has been previously bound to, you can only fly 5 times before being required to unbind the originally bound RC, from that bound RC to fly again with the new RC.

As long as you only use the RC Pro as the only bound RC with each of your three types of supported aircraft, you'll have no issues, and will not require internet access to change the currently linked aircraft.

Reactions: moldorf
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98