DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

About using mini 2 propellers on the mini 1 drone

Greetings everyone. I was wondering if you could use the mini 2 propellers on the mini 1 drone? If so, would it make any difference and or make it a little more quieter? Thank you all and God bless
it seems that the Mini2 props have a thicker hub than the MM ones and because of this the screw shaft that the hub fixes on is deeper and it would seem that the threaded part that goes into the motor has a different thread that can strip the thread in the motor 51 drones has done a video on the issues

Thank you both so very very much for the information. I guess I’m going to have to save up for the mini 2 drone [emoji106][emoji846]
Well at least they did some improvements on the mini 1 . It’s still a great drone to have and I have had many a great time flying around with it. My only real concern is one of the motors I kind of having a loud whine sound sometimes.
I have checked it out and it seems alright for now. But I will order a new set of motors

Although I still wouldn't recommend swapping props/screws, it's possible 51 Drones simply cross-threaded the screws.
I'll have to look closer at his shot of the screws. He didn't leave it up very long.

Reactions: shaneb50
From 51Drones video it looks like the Mini 2 prop mount screws are longer and have a larger diameter thread compared to the Mini 1. The unthreaded shaft may also be very slightly larger diameter. I don't personally have a Mini 2 to be able to compare. I suspect DJI deliberately changed the screw/hub dimensions to discourage people from swapping props between the 2 models.

Some keen pilots have fitted the props from a Parrot Anafi drone to a Mavic Mini. This required shaving down the hubs on the Anafi props as they were thicker. I'm sure you can modify the Mini 2 props to fit onto a Mini 1 and get it to fly OK, but you'd have to have the skills to do the re-machining and be prepared to take the risk that the blades could break/detach due to being modified.

Attachments

• prop screws.jpg
    prop screws.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I bought a pair of mini 2 props for my mini to test if the prop geometry is making the mini 2 faster and more quite. I am a tool and die maker/design engineer and measured everything up. The mini height of the hub is .184 compared to the mini 2 measures longer at .219. Hub diameters are the same .232. Hub counterbore diameters are .196 for the mini and .168 for the mini 2. A side by side comparison of the shape of the blades is almost identical with the exception that the mini 2 is much stiffer when bending by hand. The thickness of the blades measure the same so they must use a different plastic. The screw diameters are .090 for the mini and .093 for the mini 2. Thread sizes are different. My plan is to make a fixture at work to mod the mini 2 props to accept the mini screws. I need to do a few more measurements at work. If it works i could make more sets. It may be a few weeks before I would have the time at work to do this so please be patient on the results.

I wouldn't recommend altering the props. The prop hubs are thicker, and subsequently the unthreaded part of the screws longer to increase stability from rocking.

It's weird that the thread diameters are slightly different and that would be the limitation. It looks like the screw head diameters are also different with the MM1 head diameter bigger, but you'd be keeping the screws associated with their corresponding props.

I wouldn't recommend altering the props. The prop hubs are thicker, and subsequently the unthreaded part of the screws longer to increase stability from rocking.

It's weird that the thread diameters are slightly different and that would be the limitation. It looks like the screw head diameters are also different with the MM1 head diameter bigger, but you'd be keeping the screws associated with their corresponding props.
i would be making a fixture to accurately open the counterbore to accept the bigger mini 2 screw head and bore down deeper to accept the mini shorter screw. However the mini 2 props are also cleared out from the underside and after altering would only leave about .085 thickness of meat inside. The mini props have about .139 now and the mini 2 has around .122 worth of meat. It may not be worth it, its a tough call. The proper way to do it would be to rethread the mini2 screw to fit mini which is to hard to do when there is an existing thread on it. i still may try it when i have the time to do it, just for experimental purposes.

That's what I mean. They made the prop hub the new thickness for a reason and the screw shaft longer to accommodate. Shortening the height would lessen the stability.

Reactions: Murdoch
I bought a pair of mini 2 props for my mini to test if the prop geometry is making the mini 2 faster and more quite. I am a tool and die maker/design engineer and measured everything up. The mini height of the hub is .184 compared to the mini 2 measures longer at .219. Hub diameters are the same .232. Hub counterbore diameters are .196 for the mini and .168 for the mini 2. A side by side comparison of the shape of the blades is almost identical with the exception that the mini 2 is much stiffer when bending by hand. The thickness of the blades measure the same so they must use a different plastic. The screw diameters are .090 for the mini and .093 for the mini 2. Thread sizes are different. My plan is to make a fixture at work to mod the mini 2 props to accept the mini screws. I need to do a few more measurements at work. If it works i could make more sets. It may be a few weeks before I would have the time at work to do this so please be patient on the results.
well done!
I am wondering if there is any other difference in the props? Are they the same pitch?
Is the only difference the mount and material they are made from?

no difference in pitch just stiffer. I completed my prototype and tested them out and there was no noise reduction or speed increase. It did handle better during hard stops and starts and hard turns, do to the stiffer props. All and all not worth keeping them on over the stock props. it was a fun project.

Reactions: Hafa adai flyer
i have neither drones nor props. But if you can share a 2D cross section sketch of the parts it would make many of us more aware of what you are trying to do and perhaps give you some feedback.

Its not easy for another design engineer like me when you mention the different terms like counterbore diameters, etc exactly what location and feature is it, for example.

I've formed a plan around the new mini 2 motor covers for adapting both the motor cover and the blades which should work for someone who is determined to try this.... I was going to do it but the parts take a bit of time to get and ultimately I am retiring my Mavic Mini in favor of the Mini 2.

A product like the one linked below is natively threaded for the Mini 2 blades so mounting them to the motor cover is no problem. Because it is designed for the Mini 2 however the screws that come with the Mini will be too short to attach the motor cover to the Mini so the aluminum holes for attaching to the motors will have to be carefully ground down and countersunk to allow for the original Mini's screws shorter height and larger heads. I caution that I haven't actually done this mod and it would have to be done with precision so the risk is your own...

Aluminum Motor Cover Cap 4 Pieces for DJI Mavic Mini 2

Reactions: shaneb50
Hi, new to this and accidentally bought a set of extra props not knowing about the two different models .
I like the upgraded blades but saw the big difference. So please let me know if you can machine a fix. Would be happy to purchase your fix to try it out.
wspike

Rather than trying to machine the props etc. would it be simpler to make up a set of shouldered screws or if the threads are a std metric size, studding, bushes and nuts or longer plain machine screws, bushes and washers?

I ended up doing this. The only noticeable difference was hard turns and stops and starts were better. Noise difference was barely noticeable. Really not much benefit so I took them off.

Attachments

• C1158E6C-9DF6-4054-B37E-778D074242C1.jpeg
    C1158E6C-9DF6-4054-B37E-778D074242C1.jpeg
    986.7 KB · Views: 54
I ended up doing this. The only noticeable difference was hard turns and stops and starts were better. Noise difference was barely noticeable. Really not much benefit so I took them off.
I'm surprised that you didn't leave them on... performance should be improved somewhat and it should eliminate the inevitable motor speed warning that you get when a Mini prop gets bent. Not lots of difference but enough to make it worthwhile..... what's your view?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ