DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Absolute beginner

Hi Xexe475 Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
They are all basically the same to fly (DJI that is) so they could all be introductory drones.
The question I would ask myself is what do I want to use it for then get the one that fits your requirements budget allowing.
If you get something that doesn't do all that you want then you will end up upgrading incurring more cost.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Do you believe that Mavic Mini 2 is the perfect introduction drone for me?
I believe any of the DJI consumer drones would be a perfect introduction. They are all easy to fly.

welcome to the forum,its really down to how much you wish to spend on your first drone and what sort of flying you will be doing ,and also what your expectations for picture quality are ,its really down to you at the end of the day ,all the drones fly the same way ,but have different cameras and different levels of sensors and auto flying modes

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Hi, I am trying to venture into the world of Drones for the first time. Do you believe that Mavic Mini 2 is the perfect introduction drone for me?
I too am a brand new dronie, and I just got the DJI Mini 2. I just completed my first flight yesterday, and I LOVE IT! First thing for me was the cost for what you get. I think it has great features for the price. The other thing is that if you think you want a more expensive drone in the future, the Mini's seem to hold their price really well, for reselling!

Hi, I am trying to venture into the world of Drones for the first time. Do you believe that Mavic Mini 2 is the perfect introduction drone for me?
You've already gotten some good replies. I'll try to say the same things a different wayand perhaps narrow the scope. Perhaps a month ago I might have responded differently, but the sudden release of the Mini 2 has changed the game a bit. ...

First, you are going to want to have extra batteries and charger on hand regardless of which model you choose. I note that your profile lists Malta as your home (which I don't believe was addressed in earlier replies). Every country has a different set of rules and regulations. The Mini 2 might be the best obvious choice based on restrictions of larger drones in Malta or wherever you choose to fly.

While the Mini 2 is the smallest, least expensive of the DJI drones, it is quite formidable, filling what was a lot of space between the Mini 1 and the larger DJI models. It does lack some features of the more expensive DJI drones such as forward/rearward (and side sensors in the Mavic 2). It has only downward sensors. One of the advantages of the Mini 2 is that due to its small size it is more suitable for flying indoors. 50mm narrower than the Mavic Air 2. The Mini2 also relies on more pitch angle to get that speed and power, but can adversly affect filming at full speed (a minor issue, I think). The Mini 2 travels a bit smaller/lighter than the Mavic Air 2, but the large controllers of both models, compared to the controller on the Mini 1 change that a bit. Assuming you would purchase the Fly More combo, it would set you back $600 USD.

The next step up is the Mavic Air 2. The MA2 and the Mini2 share the same controller btw. It is slightly larger, weighs around 570 grams compared to the Mini 2 sub 249 gram weight. It is somewhat faster at 19m/s vs the Mini2's 16m/s, which translates into better wind resistance and stability also requiring less pitch to achieve full speed in sport mode and shouldn't affect the video at all. The MA2 has a few more features, largely in the video setting options than the Mini 2, but also has forward and rearward sensors which I'm sure is to help justify the difference in price. The MA2 fly more combo will run just under $1000 USD.

If you were to ask me a month ago, which is the best drone to get started with (local laws aside) I would said the Mavic Air 2 (I started with the Mini 1 and wish I would have had been encouraged to pay up for the MA2). Today I think the Mini 2 can take you a long way. Both models have their advantages and disadvantages. It depends on your situation and budget. As a new flyer it's hard to know. IMO the choice comes down largely on local drone laws and budget but both of these are excellent drones to get started with.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Welcome to the forum.
There is a huge amount of info here and good people when you have questions.
While I have no experience with the Minis, I have 2 Mavic Pros that are a blast to fly plus one I am trying to repair after someone else crashed it. (I bought it this way)
I think the Minis are a great intro drone , a bit more stable and a lot of options as far as setting for the camera and filming modes.

Hello xexe,

Welcome here.

A lot has already been said, and the post of vindibona is very true.
Considering the new European rules from 31/12/2020, the mini 2 doesn't require a registration and exam.

The many different versions of the mavic give so much different specs that it becomes difficult to make a good informed choice.

One big difference about the mini 2 is that the live viewing is only at 720p instead of the 1080p of the other mavic's.

Ruud

If cost is a serious consideration, don't discount the MM1 as a starter, especially now when there are great deals on it. Some were able to get the MM1 FMC (2 extra batteries, charging hub and charger and more) for $399, normally $499. It has all the basics such as GPS and downward vision for stabilization, 3 axis gimbal, and camera that can take 2.7k video that's stored on a mounted SD card.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes