DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Absolute Newbie....:/

Oxigin

Reactions
Hi All,

As the subject say I am an absolute newbie (I don’t even own a drone yet) I’ve tried to fine the information I’m looking for but not been able to find the exact answer I’ve been looking for (At least nothing conclusive)

My query is this – I’m looking to purchase the Mavic Pro with an aim to make travel videos (abroad) However the areas we are visiting are fairly remote and I of course don’t want to use my phones data we are traveling from the UK to Fiji (I’m aware I need to apply for a permit) so the cost would be incredibly high (If even possible to get any from signal) For half of the trip we’ll have WiFi in the resort but only it specific parts (Not where I plan to fly)

Question in short: Do I need some kind of “data” connection to the drone in order to fly / see the camera flight via my phone?

Sorry if this seems like a simple question but something I want to be sure of before spending this amount of money

Thank you :)

You don't need wi-fi or any other form of data link to fly. The Mavic has its own communication system between the craft and the controller. The only time you need wi-fi is when you want to download maps, and you can do this away from your flying area, when wi-fi is available. The maps are cached in the GO 4 app.

Reactions: CC Rider and Oxigin
Thanks Rockydog - So I won't be flying blind so long as the map is downloaded before flying - But I'll still be able to view the camera via the phone without data usage

Reactions: rockydog
Thanks Rockydog - So I won't be flying blind so long as the map is downloaded before flying - But I'll still be able to view the camera via the phone without data usage

Yes. You can see camera without data usage.
You can download maps in standard format (DJI GO app). You need internet only if you want satellite images.

Reactions: Oxigin
Perfect Thanks Both,

I've been reading about it's GPS which had me worried but guessing it's working in the same way as a Sat Nav does

I've been reading about it's GPS which had me worried but guessing it's working in the same way as a Sat Nav does
You will need to use a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off. All other GPS related features use GPS data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver.

Reactions: Oxigin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom